New player looking to understand how to play Orcs and Goblins

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
jewperbro
MiniWarGaming Beginner

New player looking to understand how to play Orcs and Goblins

Post by jewperbro » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:09 pm

Well the tittle basically says the core point. A friend gifted me the his "Orcs and Goblins" (**caugh**; now goblin) army. I have a working knowledge of how to play Warhammer Fantasy battle as I love watching Old World Wars, what I lack is that core understanding of the meta which can only really be attained through experience. I'm looking for general faction knowledge; strengths weaknesses Unit recommendations and list ideas of any type, as this an army I plan on investing in, though I would apprentice some help making a list with what I currently own. So unfortunately the Orc counter-part of this army was sold off about 3 years ago leaving me with the following:

2X Night Goblin Boss
2X Night Goblin Shaman
80X Night Goblin Spearmen (4X Full Command)
40X Night Goblin Archers (2X Full Command)
20X Forest Goblin Spider Riders (2x Full Command)
9X Night Goblin Fanatics
2X Trolls
1X in box Skull pass paint set (10X additional Night Goblin Spearmen)
1X in box Normal Goblin Regiment (20X Goblins)
1X in box Goblin Wolf Riders (10X Wolf Riders)
1X in box Orc Boar Boy Chariot (1X Boar Chariot)
1X in box Noblars regiment (24X Noblars)
1X in box Ironguts (4X Ironguts)

Thanks for the help gang. :D

jewperbro
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: New player looking to understand how to play Orcs and Goblins

Post by jewperbro » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:49 am

Hey in particular what can you guys tell about Goblin archers especially Night Goblins as there is bit of gap in the tactica literature about them...

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Night goblins tend to play a minefield horde army. Your main choice will be to either stay fluffy or cave in and get the normal goblin heroes for their +1 leadership, which is a big deal, alternatively one could get Skarsnik the Lord.

Fanatics and mangler squigs will be doing most of the damage, along with Big Bosses with great weapons, a popular tactic used to be to fill the entire front row of a night goblin horde with Big Bosses with Great weapons, your opponnent can only do a max of 19 wounds in the first round and will most likely not kill all of them, which means he is getting a lot of S6 attacks to the face in return.

Goblin archers seem great on paper, but 16" range means you will fire them once at long range, probably having moved so hitting on 6's and maybe once in stand and shoot, probably still at long range, otherwise you are unlikely to be able to stand and shoot as a lot of cavalry has M8, and even M6 is already a problem. The lack of parry saves or spears means your unit will be pretty much completely useless.

You may also want to have more than 1 wizard, in case the unit he is in rolls animosity and you lose your magic phase, or have a black orc babysitting them(but this in turn breaks the theme a bit). Curse of the bad Moon is pretty good and the Foot of Gork (or Mork?) is one of the best spells in the game if you roll well.

For O&G in action try searching for Mr. Malorian on YouTube, his old videos are pretty good on O&G and he used to be one of the best O&G players around.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

jewperbro
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by jewperbro » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:18 pm

How interesting about the archers. How about the Spider riders with short-bows? of does skirmish cavalry not really translate to the tabletop?