Age of Sigmar vs Fantasy

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
hislittlecuzin
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Age of Sigmar vs Fantasy

Post by hislittlecuzin » Wed May 11, 2016 5:43 am

What's the difference between Sigmar, and Fantasy? I was talking to my roommate about playing some wargames, but 40K is extremely expensive to get into, and he said he got some army books, and a Fantasy rulebook a while ago, so I considered getting a small Chaos army, but it doesn't make any sense to my why Sigmar has round bases, and why Fantasy uses square bases, or trays. Can someone give me an explanation to why, or what it is? I tried looking on Games-Workshop's website to find old Warhammer Fantasy Mini's but I couldn't find any.

I'm guessing this is a new playstyle for fantasy to match similar to 40K with independent models and whatnot, also removing some tactical aspects like flanking blocks of infantry; scrapping the classic play style invented in the 80s or so.

Unless it's more like Warmahordes, and each unit has its own LOS, and Flank pattern.

Thanks you for helping me with my ill perception on this confusing new scheme of things. I promise not to spam the Fantasy section like I did the IG section when I first made my account. :D <3
Guardsmen are like ants. No matter how many get vaporized, they just keep on coming. Why can't pancakes be the same? I would pass the salt, but I just got tabled.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Age of Sigmar vs Fantasy

Post by Arnathos » Wed May 11, 2016 5:52 am

Age of Sigmar is 40k lite in some ways, it relies a lot on synergy between models. The main rules are only 4 pages long, but this is mainly due to all the special rules being on the datasheet/warscroll/unit entry.

And if you thought 40k was expensive, it is because you never played fantasy. Warriors of chaos is probably one of the cheaper armies to play but others like Empire or Orcs and goblins or Vampire counts cost 500+ € for a basic army around the 2400 point level. Games Workshop still sells some of the models but they are on round bases these days (this is mostly an aesthetic decision for age of sigmar where bases do not matter). You'll have to find square bases or movement trays elsewhere.

Alternatively I believe mantic still sells fantasy models in their kings of war line.

Fantasy is also a different game from 40k, movement is the most important thing in the game and much more restricted than in 40k. Even slight mistakes in the movement phase can cost you the game. It is fun though and while it needs 3-4× the models that 40k does it is a faster game due to units moving in large blocks instead of individually.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed May 11, 2016 12:02 pm

Age of Sigmar can be very cheap and fun to get into. You can use your existing models,and the rules and Battlescroll thingy's are free. Doesn't matter how it's based either.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed May 11, 2016 4:57 pm

AoS - they rebased things because bases don't really matter and troops don't need to rank up like in Fantasy (8th)

Fantasy - is basically for whole armies (think hordes, I mean like lots of units) moving in formation, they need to rank up easily hence the square bases for a long time (and movement trays)

AoS - is skirmish more, so less units overall

Get the PDFs while you can off GWs site (they're free). No clue how long they'll be up there, some are already down. Otherwise you have to get the books, and frankly the books are expensive imo, but the formations (groups of different army elements) from what I've heard are worth it. I can't say first hand.

Fantasy takes a lot longer to set up, because there are simply more miniatures. AoS is a lot quicker, from what I've seen, not least of all because there simply isn't as many miniatures.

Also, both of these games can be very expensive - AoS may use smaller armies, but the new models make up for that in cost. There's more available used and you can use existing units though as Dez mentions. You can always do trades etc to try to get stuff, for whatever game. It helps keep the cost down, but you may accrue units slower of course.

Anyway hope that helps some :) good luck with whichever you choose! :D
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

hislittlecuzin
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by hislittlecuzin » Thu May 12, 2016 11:59 am

Thanks for all the descriptive and speedy replies! I was a little confused, but I'll look up the PDFs and send them to my friend, and see about playing both. THANKS AGAIN!!!
Guardsmen are like ants. No matter how many get vaporized, they just keep on coming. Why can't pancakes be the same? I would pass the salt, but I just got tabled.

Kanadian
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Kanadian » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:44 am

Also with fantasy you can use any model you like, and there are hundreds of model companies. The really really cheep ons, and the expensive ones like GW. And you can also buy used models on the cheep, and still play T9A, or KoW.

Also Fantasy is more tacticity challenging the AoS do to the way units move.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:51 pm

Dez wrote: 4. Thread necromancy (i.e. replying to a very old thread) - is not allowed, period. If you have a related question or comment, start a new thread and refer to the old thread with a link. Please do not bump (post in) a thread that has not been updated in over 3 weeks. This is not including Work in Progress or Weekly Paint threads, let's see your updated models!
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Nexus_Crawler
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:06 am

I am just getting into Sigmar - which is why I am back on the forums :) I have found it pretty cheap to fet into some armies as they have a very low model count and the rules are free :)

However I am going for ZOUNDS of rats in a swarm army... now I have 120 clanrats to paint... and that is only three units!

On the plus side you can get a lot of fantasy for cheap if you look on facebook groups in your area
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:29 pm

AoS is playing so good now with the General's Handbook, we've been playing lots!

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:22 am

Nexus_Crawler wrote:I am just getting into Sigmar - which is why I am back on the forums :) I have found it pretty cheap to fet into some armies as they have a very low model count and the rules are free :)

However I am going for ZOUNDS of rats in a swarm army... now I have 120 clanrats to paint... and that is only three units!

On the plus side you can get a lot of fantasy for cheap if you look on facebook groups in your area
the best battletomes aren't free - or so I've been told (qualifier on the "best" :P)
but I don't want to play Pestilens in AoS personally, so I'm going with the Skryre formation, or trying
Stormfiends are looking pretty darn good!

Dez

Post by Dez » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:03 pm

All the Warscrolls are free, but some of the Battalions you do have to pay for. I highly encourage getting the App, then you have everything in one place and it's easy to look up. Then you can just add what you like a la carte.

The-Overlord
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by The-Overlord » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:43 pm

By fantasy are you talking about Warhammer 8th edition or The 9th Age at http://the-ninth-age.com ? Which is more of an extension of 8th edition.

Nexus_Crawler
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:44 am

Guildenstern wrote:
Nexus_Crawler wrote:I am just getting into Sigmar - which is why I am back on the forums :) I have found it pretty cheap to fet into some armies as they have a very low model count and the rules are free :)

the best battletomes aren't free - or so I've been told (qualifier on the "best" :P)
but I don't want to play Pestilens in AoS personally, so I'm going with the Skryre formation, or trying
I have a lot of Pestilins stuff but Verminous is where I am at :) I sort of wish that they would release everything in 4 faction books and keep it all neat and tidy. A different book for each subfaction is silly
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:42 pm

Nexus_Crawler wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

I have a lot of Pestilins stuff but Verminous is where I am at :) I sort of wish that they would release everything in 4 faction books and keep it all neat and tidy. A different book for each subfaction is silly
Indeed!

If they'd actually had a plan, (cough) would have been nice to see the division of the armies as they have done, followed by battalion books for each allegiance - or however they would have needed to do it. It just seems quite hodge podge now and what's worse is that it simply makes it confusing. I think, having played one whole game :P thus far, they've got a good thing, if they can just keep out of their own way and keep it simple.