MWG's Fantasy Collection

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
MWGsteve
Gold Vault Member

MWG's Fantasy Collection

Post by MWGsteve » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:42 pm

Hey MiniWargamers!

Steve (and Josh) here wanting to get some input from you folks. We want to expand our coverage and knowledge of the Warhammer Fantasy factions available here in the studio. We would like to get some input on who should try to tackle what army.

The studio has the following armies available and we want to know what armies Steve and Josh should focus on;

Brettonia
Warriors of Chaos
Daemons of Chaos
Vampire Counts
Tomb Kings
Lizardmen
High Elves
Dwarfs

Steve is looking to pick 2 armies in addition to his High Elves. Josh is planning on taking the Dwarfs and has just purchased a large but very unfinished Ogre army so also wants to choose another studio army to learn. Let us know what you want to see and who you think should be doing what.

dcbusse001
Now we're getting somewhere...

Re: MWG's Fantasy Collection

Post by dcbusse001 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:15 pm

I could see Josh taking on Warriors of Chaos with Steve picking up Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings.

oGaLaXyv4
Bronze Vault Member

Post by oGaLaXyv4 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:30 pm

No wood elves or beastmen?

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:32 am

Man I'd love to see Skaven or OnG, but I think Brettonia would be a lot of fun!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

nine7six
Bronze Vault Member

Post by nine7six » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:46 am

Bretonnia and Lizardmen for Steve :)

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:41 pm

I'm going to say Empire, because it is the best race (Best looking models, good feel on the table top and mid level competitive).

But I might be slightly biased.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:30 pm

Arnathos wrote:I'm going to say Empire, because it is the best race (Best looking models, good feel on the table top and mid level competitive).

But I might be slightly biased.
If only they could take Land Raiders...there's Steam Tanks...
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

baronrodney
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by baronrodney » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:43 pm

I certainly hope to see Steve keeping with Vampires and Lizards going forward but if I were to pick any other army that really represented warhammer fantasy at its best it would be Orcs and Goblins. Fun, crazy, random and heavy-hitting just what you need in between serious battles!

Given the choices available, though, I really would like to see Josh take up Tomb Kings as a polar opposite to his Dwarfs. I think a resurgence of support for our Khemri brothers is in order in light of GW's discontinuing of their range. Should bring a few more vault members too perhaps!

Keep the warhammer fantasy coming, guys, you're the last bastion we have for it!

EDIT: Oh... and do a warhammer fantasy campaign!

Starlight
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Starlight » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:20 am

Of those choices I would like to see more Vampire Counts, Lizardmen and/or Warriors of Chaos. Though it would be even better if you had some Dark Elves and/or Wood Elves of course... :) As for who does what I don't know that it matters, as long as they're interested in playing that army and not feeling forced to do so.

I'll echo baronrodney's comment about a WHFB campaign, maybe even playing through some of the End Times battles?

Keep up the good work posting WHFB batreps! They're the only reason I'm a subscriber :)

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:40 am

nine7six wrote:Bretonnia and Lizardmen for Steve :)
This
baronrodney wrote:.... but if I were to pick any other army that really represented warhammer fantasy at its best it would be Orcs and Goblins. Fun, crazy, random and heavy-hitting just what you need in between serious battles!
And this

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:22 am

Orks and Goblins are pretty depressing in Fantasy, just look at the old Mr. Malorian batreps. The guy is a good player but quite a few times his army just doesn't do anything. It can be fun once or twice, but when you play them 10+ times it just gets really, really frustrating that every unit in your army bar 3(Black Orks, Arachnarok and don't remember the 3rd one, probably black ork warboss), can sabotage themselves without any player imput.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

chaosjack
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by chaosjack » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:51 pm

I think that you guys should focus on arms that can be played diversely or in different ways. Things like Tomb kings or High Elves are quite set in their ways with what list to take, if you get what i mean. Arms like Dwarfs and Dark elves can be changed up lots so would they maybe be better studio armys ?

I also think that big monsters should be seen more on the table, you guys are great at not taking lists that just comp out monsters, so maybe some double Phoenix lists, or a stone horn wouldn't hurt ?

Finally have you ever considered taking community created lists, like maybe ask vault members to write the lists for the next bat rap, to show the members what they really want to see.

Keep up the amazing Fantasy content, Max

Xander117
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Xander117 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:55 pm

Fun Fantasy armies to see and play are definitely Bretonnia (can be a terror if magic and tactics are used well), Orcs and Goblins (nothing changes an opponents plan then seeing night goblins and fanatics)

if you want to focus on two armies then id go Bretonnia and Dwarves as they both can be built and played multiple ways.

Nagalle
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by Nagalle » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:10 pm

Definitely would love to see another batrep where Steve also tried Bretonnia and Josh Warriors of Chaos.
I think it could be quite amazing if you eventually decided to start a Fantasy Campaign, seeing all the armies come together and being played with a narrative would be awesome.

- Warriors of Chaos being an all time favorite I think should be focused on, I remember when Owen used to play with his army, but there was often very little customization there, so seeing you fully unleash the wrath of Chaos is something that would make for a varied list.

- Bretonnia I believe should also be used, mostly because it is such an underrated army, and makes for just brilliant battles in my opinion, seeing someone win with Bretonnia is always an awesome sight, as they take a lot of finesse to fully master. They also look gorgeous, so they serve as good eye candy.

- But personally I think you should add Orcs and Goblins, not only because they can be great fun, but also because a large portion of the playerbase have them as an army. It would simply be something a lot of people would want to see, and maybe it would also boost views in that regard.

- Tomb Kings is also amongst the armies I would love to see Steve use, mostly because they take quite some skill to fully figure out and use well. And considering he's already a user of Vampire Counts, it could be very interesting to see him take on some other kind of undead.

These are my two cents on the matter, i think it will be very enjoyable to see more fantasy batreps coming in the future with these new armies :)

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:37 pm

vampire counts and lizardmen

my son's into the VC and could use the help :P and I like Lizardmen a lot, not an army I see a lot of in batreps I think, plus there are some new models (I think, unless it's just AoS repackaging) but if you really aren't looking to get more of them, I'd say Brettonia as well because, knights!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)