Age of Sigmar: "Last Chance to Buy"?

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Yabbadabbadon
MiniWarGaming Regular

Age of Sigmar: "Last Chance to Buy"?

Post by Yabbadabbadon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:51 pm

On the GW site, it seems that tons of stuff just entered the "Last Chance to Buy" part of the site.

Does anyone know what's going on? I'm kinda worried.
7th Edition: (W/L/D)
Adepta Sororitas - 2000, 90% Painted - (0-8-0. 8 Game losing streak. Woo woo~)
Iron Warriors - 2000, 25% Painted - (0/0/0)
Emperor's Children - 1500, 0% Painted (0/0/0)
Orks - 500, 80% Painted - (0/0/0)

Imperia
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Age of Sigmar: "Last Chance to Buy"?

Post by Imperia » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:33 pm

Yeah, they are gonna stop making those forever, I'm actually quite horrified at the amount of stuff they are cutting off, it is most likely to make way for new moulds but still, after removing the ENTIRE tomb kings range, and now massive chunks of other armies, this is getting shocking. I'd imagine this is also because GW is struggling, and it's not because of AoS, it's how they are handling it. They are pushing it VERY hard, they constantly are releasing new things for it and are constantly pushing it very hard, and very few are having any of it. As a business they should be pushing what sells, and what sells for them is Warhammer 40k, if they pushed that whey would make sales, but for some reason, they believe that AoS isn't selling because they aren't pushing it and so they go crazy, now they are struggling and they gotta cut the moulds to make money. As moulds are very very expensive, even moulds for lego pieces which are simple blocks, are still expensive, you can imagine having a HUGE range of highly detailed moulds would get very expensive to maintain, and perhaps those are the kits with the least sales so they will have to cut them out. I'm deeply saddened by this move, so many cool kits and heroes people probably had a great time with, now to be cut down for AoS because GW can't handle it.

Yabbadabbadon
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Yabbadabbadon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:42 pm

Imperia wrote:Yeah, they are gonna stop making those forever, I'm actually quite horrified at the amount of stuff they are cutting off, it is most likely to make way for new moulds but still, after removing the ENTIRE tomb kings range, and now massive chunks of other armies, this is getting shocking. I'd imagine this is also because GW is struggling, and it's not because of AoS, it's how they are handling it. They are pushing it VERY hard, they constantly are releasing new things for it and are constantly pushing it very hard, and very few are having any of it. As a business they should be pushing what sells, and what sells for them is Warhammer 40k, if they pushed that whey would make sales, but for some reason, they believe that AoS isn't selling because they aren't pushing it and so they go crazy, now they are struggling and they gotta cut the moulds to make money. As moulds are very very expensive, even moulds for lego pieces which are simple blocks, are still expensive, you can imagine having a HUGE range of highly detailed moulds would get very expensive to maintain, and perhaps those are the kits with the least sales so they will have to cut them out. I'm deeply saddened by this move, so many cool kits and heroes people probably had a great time with, now to be cut down for AoS because GW can't handle it.
As someone who JUST got into Fantasy a month before AoS launched, only for this to happen now, well...

That's....extremely disheartening.

Thanks for the info. :cry:
7th Edition: (W/L/D)
Adepta Sororitas - 2000, 90% Painted - (0-8-0. 8 Game losing streak. Woo woo~)
Iron Warriors - 2000, 25% Painted - (0/0/0)
Emperor's Children - 1500, 0% Painted (0/0/0)
Orks - 500, 80% Painted - (0/0/0)

Imperia

Post by Imperia » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:54 pm

Actually that is a good point, but they would more likely do it bits at a time, because they could lose sales taking so much down, not like GW to miss sales, so for instance they might take down a few squads and put them back up, but certainly a possibility, it just seemed like too much to put away, and Last Chance doesnt seem like almost out of stock. Besides, some of the TK stuff was fairly new, think Necrosphinx, all they needed was to put in a circley base instead of the rectangle and they can re-sell it again, and we have heard nothing of new TK stuff. A good point indeed though Kroll

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:35 pm

Well the battalion boxes are out, which makes sense, because they are essentially updating those box sets with the "Starting army" type box idea.

But a lot of the older stuff, or lesser used armies, they're just removing.

Of course i'm sure tons will be available on places like ebay anyway, but still.

The problem with just assuming it's all just getting repackaged (eventually) is they did remove a lot of the characters from Skaven, making them essentially just generic ones now, so I doubt we'll see them come back.

On the other hand the new lizardmen packages and dwarf models look good.

I'm really just hoping eventually we'll actually get a new plague monk model sigh.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:31 am

Imperia wrote:Actually that is a good point, but they would more likely do it bits at a time, because they could lose sales taking so much down [...]
I don't think they'll lose many sales as long as they are planning to put them back on. When they mark them as ,,last chance to buy" many people might just panic buy them ,,before they are out" to complete their armies. That way, GW will sell lots of packages without the need of repacking them to do so. So they won't have to pay for the whole repacking circle, new bases and most likely new boxes AND sell units to panicking players who might have waited a bit longer to purchase these things, if it wasn't for the ,,last chance to buy"-marking.
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Imperia

Post by Imperia » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:43 pm

True, there probably is a high number of sales of people getting them, but remember that they are just selling all remaining stock, there would be a massive spike in sales, but in the long run, sales would have been higher, albeit production costs higher (storage and manufacturing) but the other phrase people are missing is "once they are gone, They're gone" meaning they will never return, and they won't come back, they are removing stock and being done with it. I would assume that if they were repackaging them, they simply replace them, like they have done before, e.g Sternguard Veterans for Space Marines, they were in the Finecrap form, then poof, next I checked they were in the new box, although I noticed a lot of the models were of the Human variety, Empire and Brettonians were losing the most stuff, only bits and pieces of other armies, but now mostly Empire and Bretts, which could mean a new 'Battletome' for them and thus an all new range of models, who knows?

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:16 am

This kind of made me give up on fantasy, I have a Mortar and 10 crossbowmen left for my Empire army, and this has killed any motivation to finish it up. I was mostly missing some character models though, so not that bad.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.