total war

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Geradox
MiniWarGaming Veteran

total war

Post by Geradox » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Who here is excited for total war warhammer?
Chaos always, always chaos.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: total war

Post by Arnathos » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:21 am

I've barely started Attila, so I'm good for a while. I'll probably pick up total warhammer when the GotY edition is at least 50% off on steam.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Geradox
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Geradox » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:09 pm

I personally liked Rome two, and the chaos dlc being announced just makes me happy cuz I get to play chaos from the get go. I Dont really mind doc launching alongside the game so long as it is good and worth playing
Chaos always, always chaos.

baronrodney
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by baronrodney » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:30 am

With 8th edition, and therefor the old world, going OOP warhammer total war was almost too good to be true. A combination of total war gameplay but with warhammer armies. Not just a skin mod so all the human spearman could look like greatswords, goblins and Ogres but a game designed around each races unique tech tree of units. Including monsters, magic and fliers.

Not only that but it is set in the old world. It has become the one and only life raft we 8th edition players have.

Couple that with the fact that they intend to make a trilogy featuring all the warhammer armies and the entire world.

All of this isn't just being made generically by a company who doesn't care for fluff you can tell from the attention to detail that the developers are real warhammer fans.

So far the game is mired with 'controversy' about DLC but as far as I can tell that is all very short sighted. The only DLC they have introduced so far is Free if you preorder the game. That's hardly money-grubbing is it? Anybody wanting to play this game but not interested in preordering will miss out. So if you're interested in the game preorder it. If you're not interested in the game why does it bother you that chaos warriors are free for people who are interested in the game?

What's more if the game releases anywhere near the quality of the previews so far it's going to be the best TW game to date. The salvation of 8th armies and warhammer fluff aside the game adds layers of depth that no other TW game has even come close to. So if this is the case, and when the second game comes out ( high vs dark elves, adding Ulthuan of course!) and they release a DLC for £5 letting you play as Daemons of Chaos. Is this a bad thing? Or are we paying a little extra to get a lot more. Every army isn't just a clone of the others with different heraldry and colours they're totally different units, mechanics and play styles.

Compare the cost of this game and all/any additional DLC to the tabletop. It'll get you a box of warriors and a hero model and maybe one or two paints. In perspective for what we have been willing to pay to play 8th over the years this is nothing, and arguably we'll be getting much more for our money.

I say if they want to recreate every single warhammer army with full army list rosters and create a massive interchangeable world over three games good for them. And if the price to get this game is paying for the odd DLC (and I stress again that atm chaos warriors are free) down the road it's worth every penny.

Long live 8th and the old world! Bring on total war!

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:48 pm

Tazok wrote: Oh and by the way, I have nothing against DLC released after the game is out. I have something against the Chaos DLC because it was obviously made in the same time as the rest of the game is.
This. I'm an old-school gamer and I may just be set in my ways against an ever-changing gaming community, but release day content that I have to pay extra for is insulting to me. Pre-order incentives that encourage people to give money for a game before there was any chance of testing it (with the community rife with examples of terrible conditions of release day games that would otherwise drastically tank sales figures).

Companies know they can get away with it. They know they can cut up a game before release to artificially inflate the total cost of ownership of the game. Why do I need to pre-order to get content that should reasonably be included in the game at release anyway? Why should I have to pay an extra $5 to get content that should reasonably be included in the game at release anyway?

This is part of the reason I simply don't play video games anymore.

I'm just waiting for movies to start releasing "Extended editions" of movies on theatre release day that you can go see for an extra $5 on your ticket price. Yes, they already do "3D" and "Imax" experiences, but those are just different experiences. Not additional content.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue May 03, 2016 11:49 am

I hope a one month old thread doesn't count for necro. If it does, I'm sorry.

Creative Assembly and Sega have a terrible reputation for releasing unfinished games and remove entire features or factions from the initial release just to sell additional DLCs on the side. I pre-ordered Rome 2 and I can tell you that the game was in an awful state back then. It was slow, the AI took forever to make their moves between turns, the game crashed quite often, a lot of features were entirely annoying (like the food/squalor system that was often stopping you from properly developping provinces), battles were short and easy because the enemy would panic very quickly... Rome 2 got significantly poorer reviews than their previous games (in comparison to the excellent Shogun 2 by example). CA was forced to introduce a large number of patches to just stabilise the game. Ultimately, the game didn't felt like a finished product until the rebalanced Emperor's edition was released and you still have one ton of DLCs to buy separately. I won't ever preorder one of their games again. BTW, you will pay quite a lot for pre-ordering the game, so the "free" Chaos DLC doesn't feel free at all.

Does it mean that I'm not excited by the game? No, it's the contrary, especially that the Orcs and Goblins are on the forefront. But I will wait for a while so that bugs and poor features are fixed. I will also wait that several DLCs are released and buy the game when there is a significant sale (50% by example). I will pay a lot less than if I preordered the game and will get a great experience rather than grinding my teeth out of frustration.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG