Warhammer Fantasy New Guy

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
OverlordRick
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Warhammer Fantasy New Guy

Post by OverlordRick » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:01 am

Hey guys, I was watching the LoTR movies (again) and it got me in the fantasy mood. I was feeling a little empty inside, but after some matches of Blood Bowl it hit me: Warhammer Fantasy! I know the game is mostly dead, but luckily at my FLGS all of the Fantasy players play both Fantasy and AoS still, so getting games in won't be a problem.

I've been playing 40k for a few years now, and have about 4000 points in Space Marines. I'm big on aesthetics, really big actually. How an army looks is pretty much the biggest factor in picking them, I'm all about the Rule of Cool. So, I just need some help in army choice :D

I have narrowed my selection down to two:

1. Hordes of undead that go on forever lead by super cool Vampire men that happen to occasionally ride on DRAGONS! Whooo! These guys are awesome; dudes feel like they are straight out of Ravenloft, and that is totally rad. I like the dark tones and the feel of hopelessness.

2. Two words: AZTEC LIZARD DUDES RIDING DINOSAURS! Alright, more than two words, but really; AZTEC DINOSAURS! So they are pretty cool, no they are 100% cool. What is not to love?

Anyway, I was wondering what your guys thoughts are. People who have personal experience playing as, playing against, painting, and generally collecting these armies: Any advice, any regrets, any models you would recommend to start with, anything you would stay away from?

I would appreciate any and all help, you guys rock! :)

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Warhammer Fantasy New Guy

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:58 pm

SKAVENSKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN SKAVENSKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN SKAVENSKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN SKAVENSKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN
SKAVENSKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN SKAVENSKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN SKAVENSKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN SKAVENSKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN
SKAVENSKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN SKAVENSKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN SKAVENSKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN
SKAVENSKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN

No but seriously

SKAVENSKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN

I mean, whatever you like :P Honestly, the Vampire Counts are cool, especially if you like undead, and now you can add Tomb Kings into your army if you want a more Egyptian feel to it (or just want units from TK). Collecting, you have a lot of neat and unique units (Mortis Engine comes to mind, as well as Nagash). Playing ... eh I dunno. Except magic magic magic magic more magic. Lot of unique characters in terms of story, so there's that. My son just started really playing them so we're still getting a feel for them.

I think if I were to do a second army other than Skaven (doing VC for my son so I really get my fill of it with that!) I'd go for lizards - as you say, AZTEC LIZARD DINOS!!! what's not to like?! I haven't ever seen/painted any IRL (just in pics on internet) & dunno much about 'em.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:58 pm

I own the codex and a few VC miniatures and my friend plays the Lizardmen, so I might help you in your choice a little bit (I play Orc and Goblin myself, but caressed the idea of starting VC as a second army).

1. VC are based on holding the enemy with hordes of cheap units supported by more sturdy and hard hitting elite unit that do the killing. They hold their ground pretty well because their wizards can regenerate the lost models and wounds and certain units can even been bolstered beyong their starting size. As their name says, they can field powerful vampire units (including one of the strongest heavy cavalry unit in the game) and characters that are exceptionally physically strong and make also excellent durable wizards. Their units are also generally immune against psychology which is great. They've got strong magic in general too. Finally, their miniatures are really nice overall and they have a lot of character and an enjoyable fluff (although not really original).

Their main weaknesses are quite big however. First, they can't march outside the command radius of their general, so positioning him well is very important. Second thing, their core units are weaker than the equivalents of most other armies. They rely on having a strong magical phase to raise them. Also, if they lose combat instead of having a morale test, they lose a number of wounds equal to by what number they lose combat. Not sure if I'm expressing myself well, but if the squeletons lose by 3, they lose 3 models. Another weakness is that if they lose their general, they start to have to make crumbling test because the one holding them together is dead. However, if you have another guy with the Lore of Vampire, he can take over the next turn. If you play with the Legions of Undead from The End Times, this weakness is remove because Nagash holds them together. The last weakness is that you have very little shooting and no warmachines.

It's a great choice as an army since they are pretty strong, but have weaknesses that you must learn to minimise. If you are building an army of them, people will advise you to field the minimum amount of core possible which is 25% of your total points. Your core units aren't very good. You want to invest your points into your characters and special choices which are great in general and then complete with rares. In general, a successful VC army is relatively top heavy. I can go more in details if you select this army.

2. Lizardmen are more of an elite army compared to VC. Their strength are threefold. First they are among the magically strongest army. They're easily in the top three for magic because of their Slann and their ability to take special upgrades that improve their magic enormously. Their second strength is that their close combat infantry choices are very strong. Sauruses have good strength and toughness, 2 attacks each and have a special rules that makes to hit rolls of 6 generate extra attacks (however, since the second rank can only make a single attack, it's generally considered that only the first rank benefit of this rule). They also have the equivalent of a heavy armor by default. Their elite counterpart, the Temple Guards have halberds by default and better WS and have special rules making them very effective at protecting their Slann. Their third big strength is that they have A LOT of good monsters like Stegadons. And they are dinosaurs! They have also a fourth less important strength in that they have good low strength shooting through the poison weapons of the skinks. Their weaknesses is that they don't have warmachines, they have abysmal initiative outside skinks (only 1 on Sauruses!) and their strong units and characters are expensive. They have pretty great miniatures however and are very colouful on the board. It's a strong choice for an army and they seem quite fun to play if you prefer quality and like dinosaurs.

I hope this will help you making your choice. Feel free to ask further questions.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

OverlordRick
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by OverlordRick » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:23 pm

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm really torn betweem the two, one day I've definitely decided on hordes of the undead, but then the next I can't wait for AZTEC DINOSAURS! and vice versa. I think what I will do is buy some cool cavalry for the VC (because those models are BA) and also buy some sauruses (saurii?) for AZTEC DINOSAURS! to model and paint up. These fantasy guys are mostly going to be for my hobby benefit anyway.

Once I get all of my warhammer stuff up to school and get painting I'll start a WIP thread or something like that and we will go from there. Thanks for the input guys, it was super helpful!

baronrodney
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by baronrodney » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:55 am

I think the natural solution to your problem (or opportunity as it may be seen!), Rick, is to model both.

Why not incorporate the two projects by building the two armies with the same basing scheme, maybe ruined Lustrian tiles scattered with broken bones to represent the two fighting. Model your Oldblood stood atop a pile of crumbled skeletons holding a skull and backbone in one claw? Maybe pad out your zombies with some zombified skinks. A swampy base scheme would fit both armies quite well!

Would love to see the WIP of whatever you pick, mate.

TheCaledorian
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by TheCaledorian » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:24 pm

Both armies are very strong (some consider them to be OP) and you could do well with either.

Vampire Counts take a lot, and I mean A LOT, of planning and fiddling around, which can be annoying for players new and old. There isn't much you can do with VC aesthetically though, just lots and lots of skeles and zombies, with the occasional big scary thing. (I don't even know what they're called). Overall: An army that takes some skill to use, but is very hard to beat after you know what you're doing. Lots of options, but most of them don't work as well as what you typically see in the MWG bat reps

Lizardmen are simpler, but their armies often lack variety and could get boring. Aesthetically they are incredible, and you can paint them blue, green, fire-orange, or heck, pink and purple if you want. They are a beautiful army if you really want to paint them, and the models are spectacular. Basically, these guys can be good any way you play them, and you can get sort of crazy to keep things interesting.

Lizardmen are typically cheaper in real life, but in points they are much more expensive than Vampires.

Good luck!
"Gollum, gollum!" -Gollum

High Elves- 2000+ points, only like, 10% painted so far