Vampire Counts army question

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
ggLazorGator
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Vampire Counts army question

Post by ggLazorGator » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:37 pm

So, I'm new to mini war gaming and I have recently started painting my 40K minis, but my brother in law and I want to get started on playing the Age of Sigmar fantasy game. I'm really attracted to the Vampire Counts (they don't know how I feel yet...I'm not at that stage of commitment) but I don't know where to start. I guess since I'm used to 40K, and seeing Marines go with Marines, and Necrons with Necrons and whatnot, I guess I'm confused at seeing the Vampire Counts...and zombies? So I'm not sure where to start. So, my question for this community is...where do I start with a Vampire army? What kind of advantages do they have for a fairly glass cannon style player such as myself, and what units would have certain advantages over another in the army? I know it's a broad question, but I'm not sure where to start with AoS. Any information is helpful, and suggestions are more than welcome!

Zipding
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Location: Hovering behind your left shoulder, invisibly, of course

Re: Vampire Counts army question

Post by Zipding » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:18 pm

Just a heads up, everything I'm going to say is with regards to Fantasy 8th edition (I haven't played AoS, nor do I have any desire to play AoS)

The Vampire Counts army is named after their leaders, who raise the zombies and skeletons to do their bidding.

Vampire Counts are not a glass cannon type army. The way they win is through attrition, you may wipe out 3/4 of their giant Grave Guard bus, but they'll just summon that back and continue beating you with an ax.

For this army, your characters will soak up every single point you can spare (I've spent almost 500 points for a Vampire Lord before), but the characters, rares, and specials are where the army is good. Their core units - zombies, skeletons, ghouls, and dire wolves - are, to be very honest, quite bad. While the core is bad, they are quite useful, with zombies being one of the best tarpits in the game if you can summon enough of them. Vampire Lords are one of the best combat lords in the game, able to mulch a lot of units with the right build. Alternatively, you can make your vampire the most ridiculous caster in the game at the expense of being able to kill anything in combat.

A good place to start is the battalion, this comes with 10 dire wolves, 20 skeleton warriors, 20 ghouls, and a corpse cart. After that, a vampire (any model will do, but I personally like the von Carstein special character models) will provide the basis for your army, allowing you to make up to about 1000 points. I don't know how good the Nagash's Black Host is (20 skeleton warriors, 20 grave guard, 1 wight king, 1 terrorgheist) to start with, but would be very useful in expanding your army. There's also the Start Collecting set (1 Mortis Engine, 5 hexwraiths, and 3 spirit hosts), which is good for expanding an 8th edition Fantasy army, not sure for starting an AoS army, though.
Armies:
Lizardmen: 3200 points
Vampire Counts: 2500 points
Skaven: 2200 points

Amount painted by army:
Lizardmen: 97%
Vampire Counts: 92%
Skaven: 87%

francisco
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by francisco » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Well AoS stuff bring vampire counts to another new level.

The things you didnt used back at fantasy cause they were trash and not worth it, now with enough combinations, what is weak can turn out great. (attricion unlike fantasy its bad for vampires cause of game goal further explained downthere).

For example Zombies, they used to be every 1 trash and no 1 used it.
In AoS they seem bad still with 6+ to hit 6+ to wound, now the diference is the combinations to make them good, if they are above 10, they hit and wound on a 5+, above 20 4+ and above 30 3+... so ssuddently the more you get, the nastier they become, they can even hit on 2+ if you get a corpse cart to support them as part of 1 of the corpse cart abilities. They regen every turn D6 fallen guys and the necromancers can summon zombies that unlike most units summoned zombies can be added to the existing horde you got. If the spell is casted on a 10 you summon 20 zombies rather than 10. Zombiess also got another skill in which anytime they kill a model roll a D6, on a 6 that dead model becomes a zombie and is added to the zombie group. nasty hein? :P

There is even ssome combinations for example to get the necromancer to call out 10 free zombies just by casting the sspell, the spell cast basic its 4+, in which minimum you get its 2 from 2D6, now get a morghast nearby 18" and a corpsse cart (both give +1 to the cast spells for the dead wizards) and you basically autocast 10 zombiess, if you roll an 8 you summon 20. another nasty thing hein?

now all this seems great ((((BUT))))) there is a big downside. Most of the games end up soon a sside, on a turn, reach 75% casualties, zombies being zombies with no save at all, anything that hurts them will get em killed... and will count for the 75% casualty breakdown... even newly ssummoned zombies will give that downside to get more chances for the oponent to get more zombies dead to win games through sheer killing zombies, and the summoned dont increase the 75% marging, they just count for casualties taken. SO be very carefull not to spam 2 many zombies....

About the remain VC, they do have nasty nasty characters despite the lack of random "given magic itemss like before" they can be quite competent.

other units with combinations (like zombiess) can become very powerfull, others do have their own nasty buffs on their own like the vargheist, in which they hit hard and get more attacks the more 6ss you roll...

AoS allowss you to take watever you want so you´re not force to take things you dont want to... however, game stores of a sort might have "house rules" to limit the usage of things in game and turn it more balanced in a way for every 1.

This is a list at 100 wounds that I took (based on current store rules).

Wounds/
11/ Arkhan the Black(commander)
5/ Necromancer
8/ Vampire lord on abyssal terror
12/ 2x Morghast Archai
16/ 4x Vargheist
15/ 5x Bloodknights(full command)
6/ 1x Corpse cart
27/ 27x Grave Guards(full command)

total: 100 wounds

List benefits: Spell heavy
Commander ability: all wizards within 18" increase spell range by 6"
Morghast archai* 1+ to casts to wizards within 18"
Corpse cart: 1+ to cast to wizards within 18"

Spells:
curse of ages from commander
Vampire lord own spell allow you to move a unit double distance
Necromancer own spell allow you to pile in and attack twice on same turn

Fighting abilities:
Vargheists get more attacks the more 6s they get
Grave guard base cannon fodder with rend -1
Blood knights very nasty on the charge.

** I normally just add 1 morghast, but 2 with halberds are freaking nassty to hit.
So the list can be heavy shooting spells with Arcane bolts at 24" (with commander ability) in which nearby morghast and cart you gain +2 to casts, so its great (the commander on profile table at base no wounds taken, got a +4 to casts and unbinds, so pretty much autocast any spell he wants without needing to roll for it(you still roll if your nearby an enemy wizard, you dont want him to beat your score and unbind your spells ;) .
You then can support with mystical shields to improve units saves.
You can turn offensive and buff your own units to move twice on a phase and fight twice if need be,
And you got 3 wizards (1 cast 2 spells, the others just 1)

Hope this helped a bunch
[youtube]gTWo9oLJOWk[/youtube]

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:55 am

ggLazorGator wrote:So, I'm new to mini war gaming and I have recently started painting my 40K minis, but my brother in law and I want to get started on playing the Age of Sigmar fantasy game. I'm really attracted to the Vampire Counts (they don't know how I feel yet...I'm not at that stage of commitment) but I don't know where to start. I guess since I'm used to 40K, and seeing Marines go with Marines, and Necrons with Necrons and whatnot, I guess I'm confused at seeing the Vampire Counts...and zombies? So I'm not sure where to start. So, my question for this community is...where do I start with a Vampire army? What kind of advantages do they have for a fairly glass cannon style player such as myself, and what units would have certain advantages over another in the army? I know it's a broad question, but I'm not sure where to start with AoS. Any information is helpful, and suggestions are more than welcome!
still lol'ing about "I'm really attracted to the Vampire Counts (they don't know how I feel yet...I'm not at that stage of commitment)" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My son's collecting VC as well and we started with the battalion box. And I got him more skeletons and yes, zombies, just, cuz.

The hexwraiths seem to be playing really well for my son (he's playing vs my skaven and mind you both of us are pretty new so take this with a grain of salt!) The Dire Wolves he learned were not good, they pretty much died instantly (though I've read they're good redirectors). Definitely agree with the magic thing mentioned, take as much as you can, that seems to be where all his damage comes from. He doesn't have any flyers yet but I've seen people in batreps doing good things with a Terrorgheist.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)