how to do a ward save for a WLC hit? (8th Ed)

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

how to do a ward save for a WLC hit? (8th Ed)

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:16 pm

sorry for newb question we're trying to work this out

my WLC hit my son's Dire wolves - the skaven book says the WLC doesn't allow for armour saves, but any unsaved wound is multiplied into d6 wounds. To me this means it can have a save, just not an armour one. But if so, how the heck do we determine it? since the artillery die is used to roll the strength, does he get however many dice are the number?

I'm sure I'm just confusing myself but we've been wrestling with this for a while and the internet or my google fu is not helping =/

*edit* not AoS, case it makes a difference

Thanks!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: how to do a ward save for a WLC hit? (8th Ed)

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:19 pm

What is a WLC?

If it says that it doesn't allow for armor saves, it doesn't change anything about Ward saves as they can always be attempted and don't get reduced by the strength of the attacker. As for the D6 wounds thing, it means that if you do a single unsaved wound, instead of reducing the enemy wounds by 1, you instead roll a D6. That's the number of wounds the enemy will lose. So, let's say you do a single unsaved wound, you roll the dice and get a 3, the guy suffers 3 wounds. You don't roll a save for each of these wounds because the roll as always been attempted.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

genso6
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by genso6 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:01 pm

WLC is probably Warp Lightning Cannon
Fantasy
Throng of Karak Hirn: 1750 points
Men of the Ostermark: 2000 points
Orcs: 2000 points
Tzeentch WoC: 1500 points

Space Wolves: 2000 points
The Irongrad Renegade Alliance: 1250
Mordian 81st: 1000 points
Orks: 1250 points

Imperia
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Imperia » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:02 pm

Yeah pretty much nailed there, all hits made by this weapon will be only saved by a ward save as armour doesn't matter, If he passes all his ward saves, no wounds, if he fails 2, roll 2d6 and voila, that is your total wounds done to the unit.

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:37 pm

ok guys thanks! and yeah WLC = warp lightning cannon, sorry =/

still getting into the nuts and bolts of the game here, and we stopped about midnight so it was kinda fuzzy brained time anyway

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Something I forgot to precise is that the D6 wounds are made against a single model. So if you fire on a regiment of one wound models and wound 4 of them, they will each suffer D6 wounds, but it won't spread to the rest of the regiment.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:56 pm

Ok so this was fun assuming we did it right - the warp lightning cannon didn't miss (as I stated previously), and I rolled to hit the 6 targets under the small template (none were in the straight line after the initial hit), using their toughness vs the strength rolled on the artillery (which was a measly 4!). I 'hit' 3, and he saved their wounds except for 1. And it took us something like 30 minutes to figure out dire wolves (to the best of our search) don't *have* ward saves Lol

This is about the point we also both realized we hadn't equipped magic items DOH so back up a step or three and we got that sorted.

Then on his turn, during the magic phase, he somehow got off the purple son of xereus (remember when we forgot magic items? yeah, can't believe I forgot a dispell scroll) and it damn near took out my general (who I now realize was in a bad spot), luckily it just missed - by like a clan rats whisker. Does Lookout sir help with magic?!

Anyway, when we placed our terrain down, Playboy deliberately placed pieces in front of my deployment area, of course. But now I'm pretty much hunkered down behind them with most of my guys, making him come to me through the deadly terrain. He doesn't have any flyers yet.

I gotta say, this is probably the most hillarious inept game of WHF there's ever been! But regardless of all the undoubtely stupid or just plain wrong things we're ending up doing trying to work out the interpretation of the rules in a lot of places, Playboy is having an absolute blast! I've never seen him so excited about a game before. He kept asking me when we could do "just another turn' lol So, yeah, gotta convert I think.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:43 pm

I'm glad you had a blast together! You well get the rules right with practice eventually.
Does Lookout sir help with magic?!
From memory, yes.