WFB 9th editions by gamers for gamers.

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

WFB 9th editions by gamers for gamers.

Post by Sklodo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:13 am

Hi everyone.

Due to GW axing WFB pepole started making their own adjustments to make 9th edition. I think this is great and give us hope in the grim tmes of AoS.

As for now I have seen only two attempts:

9th age
http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/
And its forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=98

or 9th edition by Furion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzOS_lDelak

I have not playtested them yet. But I like many of ideas. I only hope there will be limited number of those so it will not come to that every city will have its own rules.

What are your thoughts? Do you like or even better tried this rules?

Best regards
Sklodo

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: WFB 9th editions by gamers for gamers.

Post by Arnathos » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:55 am

The changes are pretty terrible. Nerfing killing blow, which was already useless unless playing against daemons.

They nerfed just about every army except for High Elves, even daemons were nerfed! I meant, what?

Always strikes first remains broken and under-costed.

They increased the cost of KF, again I say, what?

There are some good things in there like the changes to epidemius, BotWD(although an increase in cost of 5 points would have fixed that) and the helheart. But all in all it just feels like any fan-made rules that have been released since the dawn of fantasy. I mean, if you want to play with fan-made rules, why not just go and play ETC 8th edition? Their format has been pretty stable and it sure isn't 8th edition that they play there.

I never thought I would be defending the abomination that is the ETC fantasy rules package, but it seems a lot more coherent than this 9th age business.

Meanwhile I'll stick with 8th edition as GW intended it to be and Age of Sigmar for all my fantasy wargaming needs.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:03 am

Arnathos wrote:The changes are pretty terrible. Nerfing killing blow, which was already useless unless playing against daemons.
I do not agree.
Killing blow was not usless. Yes it was situational but defienitly not usless. And did you noticed that they geve it to spears that are charged by cav.?

They nerfed just about every army except for High Elves, even daemons were nerfed! I meant, what?
Well i did not compared all the armies. My O&G had a magic nerf but thats all I think. And they gennerally nerft magic (wich by the way i like, no more I roll two 6 every other turn on purple sun and you just die).

Also this is Alpha vertion and there are one armybook made as of now i think.

Always strikes first remains broken and under-costed.
I think there is ongoing disscusion on that. But I never had particular problems with ASF. Elves are one of few armies I had some succeses against.

They increased the cost of KF, again I say, what?

There are some good things in there like the changes to epidemius, BotWD(although an increase in cost of 5 points would have fixed that) and the helheart. But all in all it just feels like any fan-made rules that have been released since the dawn of fantasy. I mean, if you want to play with fan-made rules, why not just go and play ETC 8th edition? Their format has been pretty stable and it sure isn't 8th edition that they play there.
Well ETC is not perfect. And since GW axed WFB it is good thing that pepole whant to make this more of a community edition (GW is not known for any feedback whatsoever or fixing rules).

I never thought I would be defending the abomination that is the ETC fantasy rules package, but it seems a lot more coherent than this 9th age business.
Again I disagree. But we shall see as this will grow.

Meanwhile I'll stick with 8th edition as GW intended it to be and Age of Sigmar for all my fantasy wargaming needs.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:41 pm

Why nerfing O&G magic? It was good, but not great. What needed to be nerf is all those spells which call for an initiative test. These were ridiculously overpowered. The reroll thing from Always Strike First should go away btw.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:54 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:Why nerfing O&G magic? It was good, but not great. What needed to be nerf is all those spells which call for an initiative test. These were ridiculously overpowered. The reroll thing from Always Strike First should go away btw.
I do not know why they did it. It is still Alpha so maby they will fix this.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Foot of Gork could destroy an entire army with some lucky rolls, Hand of Mork was also pretty awesome when used on mangler squigs and the bad moon was pretty sweet as well, albeit not horrendously powerful compared to purple sun or dwellers, or the curse of the horned rat.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:17 pm

I don't remember anything about Skaven magic being horrendously powerful, all totally legal and balanced, yes-yes indeed.
I can't think of a witty signature.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:20 pm

ParanoidEngineer wrote:I don't remember anything about Skaven magic being horrendously powerful, all totally legal and balanced, yes-yes indeed.
It's weird. Your nose seems to be growing in length. I've seen this in a fairy tale I think. It was about a wooden puppet becoming alive. Maybe you know how it was called, I have a memory lapse. :D
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:25 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:
ParanoidEngineer wrote:I don't remember anything about Skaven magic being horrendously powerful, all totally legal and balanced, yes-yes indeed.
It's weird. Your nose seems to be growing in length. I've seen this in a fairy tale I think. It was about a wooden puppet becoming alive. Maybe you know how it was called, I have a memory lapse. :D
Servotron: The mechanical man who got a brain because to do otherwise would be HERESY!
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:21 am

Koonitz wrote:
Kovlovsky wrote:
Servotron: The mechanical man who got a brain because to do otherwise would be HERESY!
And then Servotron combined himself with four other mignty machines and together they became Sigmatron, the ultimate chees engine with stupid look on his face :mrgreen: .