a newb with new questions.

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Greatnesstro
MiniWarGaming Regular

a newb with new questions.

Post by Greatnesstro » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:45 pm

Greetings,

I have recently started getting into Warhammer: Age of Sigmar. I played 40k about 10 years ago, and liked the mechanic, but the flavour was lost on me. Fantasy is more my bag.

Questions: If I want to summon a unit of ghouls during a battle, would those ghouls needed to have started in play during the game?

Melee rules state that melee range is 3 inches. If my Skeleton spearmen have a rage of 2 inches, how do those interact? To I have a range of 5 inches?

Please help me out, I'm having a rough time finding answers to these questions. Thanks!
Warhammer 40k:
3000pts Necron- The House of Y
1800pts Orks- The Sekind Han Sojas
2600pts Chaos Space Marines- The Copper Legion
1000pts Eldar- Can't Believe it's not Butters

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar
Undead Legion "1500pts"

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: a newb with new questions.

Post by TigerDave » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:47 pm

Greatness ...

1) My understanding is that you must have the war scroll in play in order to have the associated summoning spell in play. Any other interpretation would open up all of us being able to claim synergies for units not in play. Understand that there ARE summons that break this concept; see specifically the Warriors of Chaos Lord's Unending Legion command ability.

2) Melee range is not 3 inches. Any unit that charged or is within 3" may attack with its melee weapons. However, you are still required to abide by the range of the weapon (1" being the most common, with others being allowed). So, being within 3" allows you to participate in melee combat, but you are still required to be within melee distance of the weapons you have to actually do the attack.

Note that I specifically use this to my advantage when piling in (Oh look, I'm now within 3 of this unit!) and also when peeling off wounds (Awww ... your unit doesn't get to attack because it's no longer within 3").

Greatnesstro
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Greatnesstro » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:22 am

Thank you both very much! I think I need to see a demonstration of melee to full get my head around it, but it's making a lot more sense now!

And it looks like I may need to invest in my units to truly appreciate the Summon spells. Nagath demands no less.
Warhammer 40k:
3000pts Necron- The House of Y
1800pts Orks- The Sekind Han Sojas
2600pts Chaos Space Marines- The Copper Legion
1000pts Eldar- Can't Believe it's not Butters

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar
Undead Legion "1500pts"

Xaric
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Xaric » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:59 am

Greatnesstro wrote:Greetings,

I have recently started getting into Warhammer: Age of Sigmar. I played 40k about 10 years ago, and liked the mechanic, but the flavour was lost on me. Fantasy is more my bag.

Questions: If I want to summon a unit of ghouls during a battle, would those ghouls needed to have started in play during the game?

Melee rules state that melee range is 3 inches. If my Skeleton spearmen have a rage of 2 inches, how do those interact? To I have a range of 5 inches?

Please help me out, I'm having a rough time finding answers to these questions. Thanks!
The hole summoning mechanic is based on how you play RAW every unit that can summon has access to every summon they are allowed to summon but if you play with warscrolls that are considered as a physical object aka a warscroll limit then those warscrolls in play are only allowed to be summoned.

melee range is from the closest point of the model to the model it is attacking closest point

As combat states in the charge phase you must be within 1/2" of the enemy model with 1 model for a charge to be successful in the combat phase when you activate with that unit you can move all models in that unit 3" to the closest enemy model any model within that weapon range can be attack by that weapon.