STILL the Year of the Rat

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

STILL the Year of the Rat

Post by TigerDave » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:51 pm

So.

Age of Sigmar is now upon us. I will be facing my arch nemesis this weekend with our first game.

My force will be:
- Skaven Warlord

- Skaven Chieftan with Standard (it would be fun if Assassinate's target could be passed as well as generalship ... tee hee! Alas.)

- 20 Clanrats

- 25 Skavenslaves

- Doomwheel

- Hellpit Abomination

I am thinking of broadcasting the gameplay on Twitch.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: STILL the Year of the Rat

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:12 pm

Yes! >:D

The Horned Rat approves ;)
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:53 am

Looking forward to it! A batrep at least, if I can't watch Twitch :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by TigerDave » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:48 pm

BatRep coming, but I wanted to throw some comments out there:

Those who say there are no tactics any more are full of bull. On the surface it may SEEM like that because we lost the chess-like deployment and maneuver elements, but I would argue that specific unit engagement has become even more decisive, and the order in which you conduct combat provides plenty of tactical consideration. Basically, the movement tactics have moved to the combat execution phase. You are going to need to consider carefully what execution order you are going to want to follow to allow the greatest chances of survivability for your prime troops. You are also going to want to consider how to peel wounds off of your combat, and in a way makes the scrum actually move across the field rather than stay static! Monsters can be very deadly, but if you allow them to get horde-swarmed first, you can just watch with despair as your unit is rapidly erased off the board.

Vampire Counts have some amazing synergy! Skeletons quickly become a force to be reckoned with; the combination of a planted battle standard, unit standards and the Necromancer's Van Hels is DELICIOUS! Granted, I was getting my scruffy little tails pounded, but I was shivering with skeletal delight seeing how my opponent's forces were working together.

I wish our warlord was a little more "beefy" in combat, because we get the opportunity to jump in, stabby-stab, and then jump back out of combat before the enemy can strike (on a roll of 4+)! Very tricksy, and I love it! Also, your own battle standard can backstab a severely wounded skaven general, inheriting his mantle and his command abilities! Our ranges are predominately 13s (woot), lots of fun! I didn't plan to our synergies so well however, so yes, I got my tail handed to me, but we had a blast doing it.

Xaric
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Xaric » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:18 am

The main thing is you learned something new and that's always a bonus to get out of a game.