Save Warhammer – All you love in WFB.

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Akylos
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: Save Warhammer – All you love in WFB.

Post by Akylos » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:04 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned already (I couldn't find it anyway).

A first online community for creating a Player-based follow up to 8th Edition has popped up:

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/
*CAW*

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:25 am

I hope you are right.
Arnathos wrote:I doubt that MWG will stop covering Fantasy for the time being, world wide it has quite the following still which means viewers. I think we will see people playing fantasy at big tournaments and the like actively for another couple of years at least.

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:26 am

Ok so there are some awsome WFB 8th edition batreps on WFB. And from the last game opf VC vs. Bret. I am hoping for something in the lines of mini campaign.

Keep it up MWG!!!

Best regards
Sklodo

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:35 am

Hi everyone. I am a bit concerned. There have been no WFB (spacifically Old World Wars) for 2 weeks. I am afraid it might be gone (pleas no, please no, please NO).

Steve can you tell us what is happening?

Best regards
Sklodo

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:20 am

Probably no opponents, they will do batreps when they get people to play in them.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:29 am

It sucks but I think WFB is pretty dead. AoS is getting no attention in my area, and people just kinda shrug and say meh in regards to Kings of War around here.

I'm hoping Frostgrave makes a splash, I think it's the Fantasy game I've been dying to play.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:08 pm

Dez wrote:It sucks but I think WFB is pretty dead. AoS is getting no attention in my area, and people just kinda shrug and say meh in regards to Kings of War around here.

I'm hoping Frostgrave makes a splash, I think it's the Fantasy game I've been dying to play.
Well in my city at least there are some people plaing WFB. As for AoS no one I know is playing it. Few pepole tried 2 of 3 battles and resigned. Still it is harder and harder to find good quality WFB content online. So i was very happy when MWG announced they will not scrap WFB. And now I am afraid it was only a drem :(. But I still have hope.

Best regards
Sklodo

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by rollplayinggamer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:24 pm

I've seen three people play age of sigmar, Local GW store manager, Chaos nurgle player who rebased his ENTIRE collection to be on round bases. And another guy who showed up one time looking for a pickup game. The store manager ended up playing him. (All at local gee dubs.)

My FLGS works on game nights. Certain nights all the tables are reserved for insert game here. However during the day / a non game night. People can play whatever game they want on a table. It used to be 80% fantasy 20% X-Wing. Now it's 90% X-Wing, 9% Malifaux / Warmahordes, 1% 40k.

It's a shame the entire community kind of died when AoS came out.
40k armies:
'Nids Hive Fleet Mantis 2000+ pts
Ork Goffs / Orks 1700+ pts
Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company 600+ pts

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:29 pm

I think it was so depressing that a lot of players just went out playing other stuff or simply stashed their miniatures.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:37 pm

No one really played fantasy here before and still no one is playing it. A couple of locals started a mordheim league and there is the occasional age of sigmar battle.

I wouldn't mind getting some age of sigmar games in, or maybe even some fantasy, but I doubt I will get many games in in the future.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:49 pm

I like both, but it just...died. Went from filling tournaments to nada now.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Dez wrote:I'm hoping Frostgrave makes a splash, I think it's the Fantasy game I've been dying to play.
I played a game of Frostgrave last week, and it's crazy fun :D Maybe the most fun I've had with a wargame in quite a while.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:36 am

Epic Duck Mike wrote:
Dez wrote:I'm hoping Frostgrave makes a splash, I think it's the Fantasy game I've been dying to play.
I played a game of Frostgrave last week, and it's crazy fun :D Maybe the most fun I've had with a wargame in quite a while.
I will have to try it. Maby first with some proxies from WFB :D.

Best regards
Sklodo

Dez

Post by Dez » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:11 am

I'm using my WFB models.

Lunatic4
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Lunatic4 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:30 pm

Things I love about Fantasy:
1) Being able to ring up a mate and say "get a 1500pt army together for a battle" and knowing what that means.
2) Fluff - the stories were great. Loved it all pretty much (ok, I hate dwarves, but what can you expect from an Orc/High Elf player lol).
3) Commanding blocks of troops - awesome fun.
4) Orcs and Gobbos are great fun. Love High Elves altruism mixed with arrogance.

I do agree it waned a lot in the end, but you reap what you sow - GW had a clear focus on 40K and so everyone played that.

People defend AoS by saying "it is simple and got me into the hobby because I don't have to field massive armies", the answer to that is of course that GW could have actually made a WH Lite. Could have had battle scrolls and simpler rules as a gateway to getting into bigger games if that was where the person wanted to go. But, they decided (for better or worse) to reboot entirely.

My personal opinion of AoS is that it isn't good. I tried, but compared to the in-depth system from previous editions, it feels shallow and bland.

But, as a person who enjoyed the game rather than the models (I'm an average painter) it does feel a little like GW gave all us arm chair generals (and there is a bunch of us) the mid digit lol. It is like how rules queries are never answered. GW put no investment in the gaming side, which is weird given that I assume people by miniatures to play their game. I've heard (rumour?) that GW have said their a model company not a game company - and I think that is flawed - they are both.

But anyway, tbh, this thread didn't look like it was intended for the AoS vs Warhammer 8th debate.

Me and my friends will continue to play 8th because we enjoy it, but it is different to playing a living and, more importantly, _supported_ version of a game.

WHFB for life! ;P