Save Warhammer – All you love in WFB.

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Re: Save Warhammer – All you love in WFB.

Post by Sklodo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:18 am

Lunatic4 wrote:Things I love about Fantasy:
1) Being able to ring up a mate and say "get a 1500pt army together for a battle" and knowing what that means.
2) Fluff - the stories were great. Loved it all pretty much (ok, I hate dwarves, but what can you expect from an Orc/High Elf player lol).
3) Commanding blocks of troops - awesome fun.
4) Orcs and Gobbos are great fun. Love High Elves altruism mixed with arrogance.

I do agree it waned a lot in the end, but you reap what you sow - GW had a clear focus on 40K and so everyone played that.

People defend AoS by saying "it is simple and got me into the hobby because I don't have to field massive armies", the answer to that is of course that GW could have actually made a WH Lite. Could have had battle scrolls and simpler rules as a gateway to getting into bigger games if that was where the person wanted to go. But, they decided (for better or worse) to reboot entirely.

My personal opinion of AoS is that it isn't good. I tried, but compared to the in-depth system from previous editions, it feels shallow and bland.

But, as a person who enjoyed the game rather than the models (I'm an average painter) it does feel a little like GW gave all us arm chair generals (and there is a bunch of us) the mid digit lol. It is like how rules queries are never answered. GW put no investment in the gaming side, which is weird given that I assume people by miniatures to play their game. I've heard (rumour?) that GW have said their a model company not a game company - and I think that is flawed - they are both.

But anyway, tbh, this thread didn't look like it was intended for the AoS vs Warhammer 8th debate.

Me and my friends will continue to play 8th because we enjoy it, but it is different to playing a living and, more importantly, _supported_ version of a game.

WHFB for life! ;P
I agree an a AoS part entirely.

As fo no support for WFB fortunatly there are some fanbased WFB 9th editions. I know of 2 (but I have heard there is a third). One is 9th age. It is still alpha vertion but looks promising, and have a scope of entirely new edition of WFB, many of stupid things and tactics have been changed, but we will see. Second is (th edition by Furion. It is less of entirely new edition and more of a balancing patch. There are some rule, unit and items changes but much smaller than in the 9th age. All and all it looks good and it is ready to play.

Best regards
Sklodo

Lunatic4
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Lunatic4 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks Sklodo :)

Yeah, I've got the link to 9th age and am checking it out with my friends, but the other one sounds interesting too.

Cheers

L

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:06 am

You are welcome :).

Here is link for Furion's 9th edition:
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3&t=130276.
I have playtested it already and it is better than 8th edition IMHO. It does not change a lot so transition from 8th edition is quite easy.

Best regards
Sklodo