Vampire Counts or Tomb Kings

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
vinsanity642
Bronze Vault Member

Vampire Counts or Tomb Kings

Post by vinsanity642 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:45 am

I am thinking of starting one of those two armies. I like the concept of undead legions (am a 40k Necrons player so if the shoe fits...). I want to know what is the difference between them before I invest in any codecies. I've seen a few batreps but I'd like some other opinions too.

So who do you guys like better?
40k: ~3500 Pts Necrons
~3400 Pts Iron Hands/Fallen Angles
~2100 Pts Tau
~1900 Pts chaos daemons

X Wing: Empire, Rebels

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Vampire Counts or Tomb Kings

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:13 pm

It seems you're late to the party. Age of Sigmar just replaced Warhammer Fantasy entirely and all rules and unit rules are downloadable on the GW website. No more codex, a developpment I'm grieving. The game is also extremely simplified and oriented toward skirmishing (only 4 pages of rules). Personnally, I will be playing more the 8th Edition because it suits more my tastes so it's completely possible to still play old Hammer if you prefer, but you will have to find your codex and rulebook quickly because the shops may start to remove them from their stocks.

Vampire Counts used to be better armored and centred around their Vampires, but with non existant warmachines. They were magically strong too.

Tomb Kings used to be skeleton and monster heavy with slighty stronger magic (mostly because of the Casket of Souls) and have some dirty tricks like a hero choice that gives his own WS to his accompaning skelettons which was huge. They also tend to be lighter armored.

Of the two, Vampire Counts used to be the stronger ones, but you can play them together since the Nagash book.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

vinsanity642
Bronze Vault Member

Post by vinsanity642 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Oh no I've spent a large amount of time following the thread on here about the 9th ED rumors. I'm more inclined to follow your train of thought and stay in 8th edition.

I did not know that the codecies were availible online. Is sooooooo much easier to access now so I cannot complain about that.
40k: ~3500 Pts Necrons
~3400 Pts Iron Hands/Fallen Angles
~2100 Pts Tau
~1900 Pts chaos daemons

X Wing: Empire, Rebels

Fighting Gopher
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Fighting Gopher » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:23 pm

In Age of Sigmar you can do both.........
Warhammer 40K - 41,000 points
Warhammer Fantasy - 27000 wounds (I'm guessing)
Flames of War - 6000 points
Warmachine Cryx - 100 points
Hordes Circle - 240 points

pricey333
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by pricey333 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:26 pm

^this^
that being said with vampire counts, you get vampires, and vampires are cool. oh and zombies... everything is better with zombies.
Credo quia absurdum est- I believe it because it is absurd

Cypher, the Fallen Angel is rumored to have descended from Desmond Miles- http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Cypher

Double Heresy "BLAM"- http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Sorcerers_of_Khorne

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:08 pm

Fighting Gopher wrote:In Age of Sigmar you can do both.........
You could do both since the Nagash book, so it's not new at all.

UnknownAspect
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by UnknownAspect » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:53 am

Vampire counts seem to be a more horde based army with tons of zombies where tomb kings have some more elite units that are hard to kill.

The biggest difference is the aesthetic, so honestly I think you should go with what you find to be cooler. Tomb kings are Egyptian and vampire counts are Romanian. Either way, great models and fun spells on either side.

PS AoS is great.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by TigerDave » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:38 pm

I have to work out my TK force and see how that plays in AoS, but my buddy's VC army had some amazing synergy that made them very tough cookies to deal with. Was a lot of fun to play against.

Xaric
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Xaric » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:40 am

It now comes down to how your army works to successes in a goal more then ever if they don't fit well together you will be at a disadvantage.

Tron
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Tron » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:28 pm

What you like better between armies I think really comes down to factors relating to: $ investment to start it up, how it looks aesthetically, and how the army works strategically.

$ Investment

Both are comparable, with Vampire Counts generally having a slightly higher model count (more $) than other armies with comparable points. Chaos Warriors for eg have the fewest models, highest points per model and therefore least $ to start up.

Aesthetically

Beauty being in the eye of the beholder, this is totally subjective. One can do so much with conversions and painting themes, but the models do provide the canvas for your work of art.

I do see Tomb Kings having more of a regal/flashy look to them compared to Vampire Counts being more nasty/grungy. I think a well painted Vampire Counts army can be a bit unique in that the army doesn't have to look cohesive with traditional painting themes to make it come together. Tomb Kings are probably going to look better as a theme with a similar color scheme throughout.

Strategically

Vampire Counts do not have any shooting or war machines. They excel at wearing their opponents down and overwhelming them, usually driven in part by strong magic and the ability to summon more models throughout the game, particularly towards the last turns.

Tomb Kings still have a bit of everything. I haven't played against this army since the 6th edition days. I remember their magic is unique in that it allows particular units to get extra rounds of either hand to hand combat, moving or shooting. This as an opponent can really throw you off balance because you're never quite sure to anticipate. An extra round of shooting at a critical unit can potentially throw a monkey wrench into your battle plan if your unit flees as a result of panic, for example.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:04 pm

Just so you know, you unearthed a thread that is almost 5 months old. Your contribution on the forum is welcomed, but try to do it on a recent subject instead. ;)

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:58 pm

Well I appreciate the view point, necro post or not - although to be honest, what post would be better subjected to a necro than a VC vs TK? giggles

It's funny how even though I liked the TK better my son chose the VC, and it's because they do more magic I guess, plus he likes the look better I guess.

Anyway, good read!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)