Age of Sigmar is live

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Age of Sigmar is live

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:03 pm

X-Bumble wrote: AoS is just a pre-game to 40K. It is obvious the new models and stats will eventually be brought into 40K, and then the route from AoS to 40K will be complete.
Doing this would be the undoing of 40k. The number of players that they would loose would be devastating.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

cecil811
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by cecil811 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:38 pm

Saying they are going to change 40k is silly doomsaying....

40k is selling ,fantasy was not

Slaanesh was captured... Also his symbol was replaced by a new one on the chaos symbol. Could be Belakor, Skaven, a new Slaanesh symbol no one knows. My money is on the horned rat because Skaven are officially chaos now, but my guess is as good as anyone else's

http://www.corehammer.com/self-reflecti ... -williams/

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Given the rapid change of editions I wouldn't be surprised, especially if AoS works....
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:10 pm

Dez wrote:Given the rapid change of editions I wouldn't be surprised, especially if AoS works....
With the mostly negative reaction I'm seeing, I don't see AoS being more than a temporary fad until a large of amount of people realise they are much better alternative skirmish systems around.

cecil811
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by cecil811 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:45 pm

If AoS out sells 40k i could see it. That is a huge if tho. I dont see that happening.

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Hedonismbot » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:19 am

X-Bumble wrote:Having played a game - zzzzzzz. Boring... it just becomes a boring dice-roll grind at about turn 2. The balance is way, way out.

I think that you have to take this game for what it is - an entry level game that will appeal to people who play games like Summoner Wars, or simpler board game 'war games', and also to the younger audience as they will be able to read these rules and play the game without being taught it.

Where GW have shot themsleves in the foot is to suggest this is a new edition of Fantasy. If they had clearly stated this was a new game and not an evolution (or in the real case a bad coup), then maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

AoS is just a pre-game to 40K. It is obvious the new models and stats will eventually be brought into 40K, and then the route from AoS to 40K will be complete.
Uh, no.
cecil811 wrote:Saying they are going to change 40k is silly doomsaying....

40k is selling ,fantasy was not

Fantasy was selling, but the total overall profits were fairly minimal compared to 40k. Warhammer was putting up maybe 15% of their profits, while 40k was doing nearly all the rest, with space marines alone doing half of that and probably more.

It's profit margin simply wasn't high enough for the head office, though it's their fault fantasy is in the state it is and should've seen these issues coming from a mile away.

For example, let's make the stead fast and step up rules, so it forces gamers to buy up several more boxes of troops for each regiment just to maintain these bonuses. Oh geeze, folks now don't need to buy anything else after this with the amount of models they now have, plus it makes things way too expensive and intimidating for anyone trying to get into the game.

I want to get these undead guys for example. Well, under these new rules, to get a single unit of skeletons that's even half decent, you now need to get 4-5 boxes of them for close 200$ cdn.

Seriously, 250 pts of skellies costing you that much money in a game where the typical pts value was usually 2k plus. Thx GW, you've now just made a large chunk of your armies very restrictive to a very few with a larger source of cash flow, plus putting together several hundred models for a first timer totally won't overwhelm them.

Turns out lowering the pts cost on things also had a darker side to it.

Missions were all pretty much the same with only watchtower being any different(though nobody wanted to play that mission; ever try getting a unit of chaos warriors out of the tower, yeah good luck with that). No matter what it was it was still I get more vp's by killing your units, I win, just had slightly different deployment rules.

These are just a few things that I noticed as to why Imo, the 40k players where I go vastly outnumber the fantasy crowd. That game has plenty of issues too, but almost none of it has to do with how much I needed to buy to start playing, or how we play the game. No fixed percentage on what to take, plus tons of formation options worked wonders, though I did like the % system for balance purposes, it just wasn't good for business purposes.

In a typical GW fashion, they went too far and took out all of the things that made warhammer what it is today(the background, customization of your character, lores of magic, decently written rules, PTS VALUES ON UNITS, all those cool magic items, etc.

When one needs to fix things, you address the issues and take care of them, not completely destroy 30+ years of a game setting that built your company from the ground up and without which you would even be here.

Now I'm also wondering what in the hell am I going to do with all those fantasy models that may or may not be phased out of the game. Around christmas time I plunked down close to 600$ cdn for more vamp counts stuff that haven't even been able to use because I heard there was a new edition coming out and wanted to wait and see how it would change my army.

Since it seems to be completely skirmish based now, I wonder what was the point in plunking down that much money for a game where folks will probably buy in or 2 boxes to play and that's it.......

Slaanesh was captured... Also his symbol was replaced by a new one on the chaos symbol. Could be Belakor, Skaven, a new Slaanesh symbol no one knows. My money is on the horned rat because Skaven are officially chaos now, but my guess is as good as anyone else's

http://www.corehammer.com/self-reflecti ... -williams/

GW have clearly decided Fantasy was not worth the time (they were probably losing money on it for them to just dunp it). Maybe there will be a living rule set for Fantasy. A brave move to cut out a whole section of your customer base, but I suppose they are confident they can fill it back, and more with new players of AoS.

Dez wrote:Given the rapid change of editions I wouldn't be surprised, especially if AoS works....

Yeah, I don't want them to do this to 40k, so I kind've hope that AOS bombs, yet if it does fantasy may be done completely and I don't want that to happen either.

cecil811 wrote:If AoS out sells 40k i could see it. That is a huge if tho. I dont see that happening.

Lol, it seems now like a watered down version of warmachine. Except warmachine does it better.

cecil811 wrote:If AoS out sells 40k i could see it. That is a huge if tho. I dont see that happening.

You should do standup.
Last edited by Hedonismbot on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Hedonismbot pretty much sums up what was wrong with Fantasy, what they should have done and why AoS is so inept. I'm in full agreement with his analysis.
I don't see a medieval fantastic setting becoming more popular than an established sci fi universe and it would really need AoS being a revolutionary game which it isn't at all unless if you think that having shallow rules and a confusing battle system is revolutionary.

backlash013
Silver Vault Member

Post by backlash013 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:20 pm

I find myself quite intrigued by the lore surrounding Age of Sigmar, the leaked images about the battles in the Realm of life and snippets about the capture of Slaanesh leave me wanting to know more, but no 'official' balancing leaves me reluctant to give this a go until I see the state of the game in a couple of months.
Additionally the thought that this had to outright replace Fantasy as it stood irks me.

I've found this release has more inspired my girlfriend and I to pick up Mordheim and give it a go.
Armies
Complete: 1000pts Guard
Working on: Harlequin + Dark Eldar

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Hedonismbot » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:32 pm

If you thought it irked you, you should go on youtube and see MWG Owen's reaction
to AOS.

He is not amused!
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.