Age of Sigmar is live

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
cecil811
MiniWarGaming Regular

Age of Sigmar is live

Post by cecil811 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:56 pm

You can download the pdf rules and stats on the webstore.

rotface
Bronze Vault Member

Re: Age of Sigmar is live

Post by rotface » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:21 pm

Wow I'm so excited by this.

Having read through the warscrolls, there is so much the 'rumours' (aka Hate messages) have commented on. Yes theres no points, but there is a minimum number of models (eg Skaven Slaves are 20) Therefore you risk the lower victory requirements for the larger units you field ...but theres a balance between lower value units and ranked units. Choices choices :)

Looking at Skaven and Elves I see a sensible line preserving the feel of our units, but not the mind bending rules. Hellpits are now always on a chance to respanw, at a slight cost to insane damage. Slaves are a tactical choice and not a tarpit (Tarpits being moot from what we know so far)

I can't wait to play ..... bring it on!

cecil811
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by cecil811 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:47 pm

The system looks very fun

But the no points thing is disappointing. You need points to play with people you just meet. It allows the creation of a "standard"

For example 2000 points is the old standard.... If i went to a store with 2000 its normally safe to assume someone else will too.

Im not saying i wont find a game but it will complicate things for sure. The first time you play a game with a dude you dont want to argue if my warrior is worth 2 3 or half your warrior....

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by rollplayinggamer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:53 pm

This is really exciting! I never really played much of fantasy. A couple of learning games and thats about it. I'm thinking i might play death? Or maybe chaos as i have some skaven.

EDIT: Off to change my signature instead of fantasy and pts to AoS and army type.
40k armies:
'Nids Hive Fleet Mantis 2000+ pts
Ork Goffs / Orks 1700+ pts
Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company 600+ pts

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:58 am

cecil811 wrote:The system looks very fun

But the no points thing is disappointing. You need points to play with people you just meet. It allows the creation of a "standard"

For example 2000 points is the old standard.... If i went to a store with 2000 its normally safe to assume someone else will too.

Im not saying i wont find a game but it will complicate things for sure. The first time you play a game with a dude you dont want to argue if my warrior is worth 2 3 or half your warrior....
Ash and I were talking about this, and we're pretty sure Wounds will basically be the new "points" - you'd play a 50 Wound (max) game for example. It provides some level of balance, since you can't have someone drop 50 War Hydras vs 50 Spearmen that way, for example ;)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:22 pm

Where???
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

drummer1357
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by drummer1357 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:50 pm

i agree with wounds being the new points.

every unit now has a set to wound roll for it's weapon, which means that even the lowly skaven slave for example has a chance to wound a bloodthirster. if you consider that in terms of wound you can get 14 slaves for one bloodthirster, it looks quite balanced.

on top of that the large monsters get weaker when they get wounded, so i like the system of saying to your opponent: let's meet for a 50-wound battle, because that is a fair balancing factor.

and to top it off, some incredible random rules for units like Bugman, Konrad von Karstein, the great unclean one, Settra, et cetera, make the game lighter in terms of seriousness and introduce a bit of player-to-player roleplaying and emchanics :)
40k: Chaos Daemons (nugle/tzeench), Eldar, Tau and Skitarii
fantasy: dwarfs, ogres, some skaven.

W.I.P
profession: unintended treadcromancy. i apologise in advance...

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:58 pm

I think it's far from ideal as a balancing system, because some high wounds army become almost useless like the Ogres. It's better than nothing, but GW hasn't given us much more choice except if you are willing to build your own pt system which is a herculean task.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:13 pm

Because there is no minimum unit size on many models I think I am right in saying it would be possible to play this as a skirmish game, if you chose to make each unit not contain a single model.

Of course this would have a few issues when high wound/heroic units are introduced.

(Also I probably wouldn't at it like this, it's just an offhand observation.
Khorne Daemonkin mostly right now...ask again next week.

My WIP Thread: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 8&t=115134

cecil811
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by cecil811 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:54 pm

Skaven slaves wouldnt work with wounds....

You honestly are best off jusy sitting down and picking a scenario and "making your own" balance

Makes pick up games hard tho. Man its so disappointing that the game looks so good but they left out something so big...

Its like a brand new car but without an engine

Fighting Gopher
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Fighting Gopher » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Why wouldn't wounds work with skaven slaves? I just looked at their rules and I don't see anything that will stick out as unfair

Also love the rules and love the idea of wounds as points. It makes sense to me. I'm super excited about this. I also love how you only need a 3" square table now to play. Makes beerhammer way easier.

Anyone up for some Beerhammer? I live in Welland and want to so badly play this game!!!!
Last edited by Fighting Gopher on Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warhammer 40K - 41,000 points
Warhammer Fantasy - 27000 wounds (I'm guessing)
Flames of War - 6000 points
Warmachine Cryx - 100 points
Hordes Circle - 240 points

pricey333
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by pricey333 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Woc and deamons seems a bit open to cheese because of summoning, once again nurgle seems good, and the khorne stuff now actually sounds Khorne-y and killy in combat
Credo quia absurdum est- I believe it because it is absurd

Cypher, the Fallen Angel is rumored to have descended from Desmond Miles- http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Cypher

Double Heresy "BLAM"- http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Sorcerers_of_Khorne

Fighting Gopher

Post by Fighting Gopher » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:45 pm

You could become cheese, but what is nice is the whole sudden death scenario's. Makes being cheesy a little hard. you have 33% more models than me? Well all I need to do is kill your one hero or one unit and I get a major victory. I like it, I think it may actually balance everything out and make you think, should I really summon that unit.
Warhammer 40K - 41,000 points
Warhammer Fantasy - 27000 wounds (I'm guessing)
Flames of War - 6000 points
Warmachine Cryx - 100 points
Hordes Circle - 240 points

pricey333
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by pricey333 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:23 pm

Fighting Gopher wrote:You could become cheese, but what is nice is the whole sudden death scenario's. Makes being cheesy a little hard. you have 33% more models than me? Well all I need to do is kill your one hero or one unit and I get a major victory. I like it, I think it may actually balance everything out and make you think, should I really summon that unit.
I agree this makes it easier but they only choose one as far as i understand:

Assassinate: the enemy player picks
a unit with the Hero, Wizard,
Priest or Monster keyword in
their army. Slay the unit that
they pick.
I choose my great unclean one, have fun

Blunt: the enemy player picks a unit
with five or more models in their army.
Slay the unit that they pick.
I choose the 40 man blob of plague bearers or 30 man blob of nurgle warriors, have fun

Endure: Have at least one model
which started the battle on the
battle field still in play at the end of the
sixth battle round.
This one would be the one that I would choose, either using a fast unit to run in circles or a rock solid block hiding somewhere. this is just me as i like a defencive style.

Seize Ground: Pick one terrain feature
in enemy territory. Have at least one
friendly model within 3" of that feature
at the end of the fourth battle round.
This seems like a good idea if your army is ridiculously quick looking at you wood elves, or any thing on horse back; sod it still going to call them cavalry.

This is hypothetical of-course, because i don't play with cheddar, just trying to play the devils advocate :D, I think that, until another idea pops up, wounds should be used, I'll certainly be suggesting it at my gaming club
Credo quia absurdum est- I believe it because it is absurd

Cypher, the Fallen Angel is rumored to have descended from Desmond Miles- http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Cypher

Double Heresy "BLAM"- http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Sorcerers_of_Khorne

Lionic
Location: somewher over the prysmatic refection of visible light in dihydrogen monoxide percipitaition

Post by Lionic » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:02 pm

Ok i dont know if this was in the old tomb kings book, but this is seriously awesome

"And He Did Say ‘War’, and the World Did Tremble...:
If Settra the Imperishable
uses this ability, you must hold out your
hand and utter ‘War’ in a supremely
commanding tone.
If you do, then until
your next hero phase you can add 1 to all
hit rolls for
Death
units in your army
that are within 18" of Settra in the combat
phase. If a