Leadership in different armies

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
oscisi
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Leadership in different armies

Post by oscisi » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:38 am

Hello!

I have a firm belief that Leadership is one of the most important aspects to having a powerful army. I have now spent quite some time trying to find a list of the general pshychology of different factions but failed to do so. Maybe it doesn't exsist? In that case, I would like to ask you guys for help!

Can you please help me create a list with all the armies of Fantasy and their "average leadership"? Organised from the best to the worst... Something like this:

1. Dwarf: Very good
2. Elves: Good
3. Chaos: Good
4. Empire: Above average
5. Bretonnia: Average
6. Orcs and goblins: Below average
7. Skaven: Bad

and so on.. you get it ;) Maybe it would make even more sense to have the leadership actually rated in numbers?

I look forward to you feedback!
Thanks! :)
Oscar
Last edited by oscisi on Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: Leadership in different armies

Post by Hedonismbot » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:42 am

Considering that age of Sigmar is about to hit shelves I wouldn't bother with this right now. Everything could very well be irrelevant.
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

oscisi
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by oscisi » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:53 am

Is the change really going to be that big? I'm imagining that the armies will still keep their main characteristics..? Goblins are always a horde of frantic scared bastards and dwarves are always stubborn badasses.. ;)

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:34 am

We honestly have no clue what is going to happen.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:39 am

Not even joking, Goblins could turn into Stone Cold Steve Au- badasses blessed by Grimgor, whilst Dwarfs are left cowardly and frail by the loss of their ancestral home: we just don't know.

Hell, leadership as we know it may disappear entirely and be replaced by the Courage system from LOTR or something crazy like that!

...I just realised that if this turns out to be nothing special GW are going to be getting so much flak.
I can't think of a witty signature.

oscisi
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by oscisi » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:14 pm

Ok, now I get it! GW has promised to do a complete overhaul for this edition of the game? So I'm guessing it will be the biggest change since a couple of editions back?

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:05 pm

oscisi wrote:Hello!

I have a firm belief that Leadership is one of the most important aspects to having a powerful army. I have now spent quite some time trying to find a list of the general pshychology of different factions but failed to do so. Maybe it doesn't exsist? In that case, I would like to ask you guys for help!

Can you please help me create a list with all the armies of Fantasy and their "average leadership"? Organised from the best to the worst... Something like this:

1. Dwarf: Very good
2. Elves: Good
3. Bretonnia: Average
4. Skaven: Bad

and so on.. you get it ;) Maybe it would make even more sense to have the leadership actually rated in numbers?

I look forward to you feedback!
Thanks! :)
Oscar
What the previous posters have said is very true and we might end with a new completely different game. However, if you want still to classify the armies, Warriors of Chaos would be slighty under the Elves because they have access to units with Ld 7 and under like Marauders, Trolls, etc. The Empire would be slighty ahead of Bretonia, Orcs would be about equal to Bretonia, maybe slightly under them. I don't know the other armies enough to help you.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

oscisi
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by oscisi » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:24 pm

Thank you!
I updated the list and am awaiting the new edition with increased interest! :D

ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:58 pm

Hell why not, I'm feeling nostalgic at the moment:

Ogres are average, they hover from LD 7-9 and don't really have any buffs to that.

Daemons and Undead are Unbreakable so they never, ever run - dunno if that counts as 'not applicable' or 'better than Dwarfs' but I'll leave that open to debate.

Lizardmen are good: they have solid leadership and a special rule that makes it easier to pass morale checks.

Beastmen are below average: they have no special rules to buff their leadership and only one general gives them any sort of buff to morale checks.
I can't think of a witty signature.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:59 pm

I would rather say that the Empire is still average, but slightly superior to Bretonnia since their troops are Ld 7 instead of the Men-at-Arm's Ld 6. But Ld 7 is very average.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:00 pm

Your Leadership thing is kind of wrong, Warriors of chaos have really average leadership in general, only the Daemon Prince and some chaos lords are Ld9. They are about on par with Empire. Depending on army composition, Bretonnia might have both of them beat.

Skaven have the best Leadership, they can easily get Ld10 on most of their units, with exception of skirmishers and some single units.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Hedonismbot

Post by Hedonismbot » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:57 pm

Arnathos wrote:Your Leadership thing is kind of wrong, Warriors of chaos have really average leadership in general, only the Daemon Prince and some chaos lords are Ld9. They are about on par with Empire. Depending on army composition, Bretonnia might have both of them beat.

Skaven have the best Leadership, they can easily get Ld10 on most of their units, with exception of skirmishers and some single units.

That's why you go Vamp counts and tomb kings. Leadship test, what the hell is that? :wink:

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:21 am

While Vampire counts generally don't care, in my experience a Tomb King's Ld10 inspiring presence bubble as well as the presence of Tomb Princes can be invaluable to prevent crumble, especially since it is rather easy to kill the hierophant.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Hedonismbot

Post by Hedonismbot » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:39 am

I'd say it's the opposite.

Tk units have a fairly decent ld on average, compared to VC in terms in crumbling.

Then again, I immediately went over to undead legions, even though I was still using a VC army, because crumbling was stupid and no other army in the game had a mechanic like that, which screwed you over for losing a single model.

Not that it matter anymore. Now everyone's unstable, though apparently we have the best or whatever it is now, so we lose less guys in combat on average from this.

We still lose plenty of models from regular wounds, as undead troops are still pretty poopy.