My first army

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
oscisi
MiniWarGaming Beginner

My first army

Post by oscisi » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:48 pm

Hello guys! I've been familiar with Warhammer for years and during two periods collected Bretonnia and Dwarf respectively. Now I am getting interested in getting a proper army but not without an initial tactical analyze!

Can you guys please help me come up with an army that fits these demans:
-many units with high weapon skill and high strength
-very good leadership (I am not interested in seeing my units flee)
-low armor. Armor is not something I feel like wasting points on.

Please let me know what you think!
Thank you in advance :)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: My first army

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Just so you know, the preorder for the Age of Sigmar starts the 4 of July (rumored to be a starter set precursor of a fuill blown new edition). So maybe I would hold starting your army until you know how the game will be after the new edition comes in. It's rumored to be a quite massive change.

If you are still determined to starts now, I don't see any army that fully have the characteristics you are seeking. The most fitting one would be probably either a Khorne heavy Daemons of Chaos army as they have have strength and Weapon skill, but only have a 5+ invulnerable save most of the time. Otherwise, I would see Warriors of Chaos since they have a weapon skill of 5 in general, have high strength and toughness and very good Ld. However they have armor of Chaos which are 4+ base and so have very good armor saves. Personnally, I think it's an advantage.

You could also be playing Elves. They have high weapon skill and Ld while most of them have light armors. But in general, they also have strength 3 and toughness 3, so not really your thing. You could also play Orcs as they have light armors or 6+ wards (Savage Orcs), have high toughness, but you would have to field Big'ones or Black Orcs to have WS 4 and strength 4 base (all Orcs have the Choppa special rules which gives them +1 strength on the first round of close combat however). Besides, only the Black Orcs and the orc characters have good leadership. The Goblin part of the army is also entirely the contrary of what you seek. :P

So in conclusion, I would say that Warriors of Chaos and maybe Khorne Daemons are your best bet.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

oscisi
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by oscisi » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:25 pm

Thank you for your reply! I will definitely have the patience to wait until the new edition.. for now I am just looking around, watching batreps to learn more rules and generally experimenting with possible army builds. But yeah, prior to writing this my bet was Daemons of Chaos (but I hear they got changed a lot in edition 8 and don't exactly fit my desires anymore). At least it seems like I will definitely go with something on the Chaos side. Melee damage appeals more to me than ranged or magic.
Despite of what I just wrote, do you think Dark Elves could be something for me?
Cheers!

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Hedonismbot » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:20 pm

Honestly, no clue.

Everything could be very different in a matter of weeks.
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

oscisi
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by oscisi » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:23 am

Kovlovsky wrote:Just so you know, the preorder for the Age of Sigmar starts the 4 of July (rumored to be a starter set precursor of a fuill blown new edition). So maybe I would hold starting your army until you know how the game will be after the new edition comes in. It's rumored to be a quite massive change.

If you are still determined to starts now, I don't see any army that fully have the characteristics you are seeking. The most fitting one would be probably either a Khorne heavy Daemons of Chaos army as they have have strength and Weapon skill, but only have a 5+ invulnerable save most of the time. Otherwise, I would see Warriors of Chaos since they have a weapon skill of 5 in general, have high strength and toughness and very good Ld. However they have armor of Chaos which are 4+ base and so have very good armor saves. Personnally, I think it's an advantage.

You could also be playing Elves. They have high weapon skill and Ld while most of them have light armors. But in general, they also have strength 3 and toughness 3, so not really your thing. You could also play Orcs as they have light armors or 6+ wards (Savage Orcs), have high toughness, but you would have to field Big'ones or Black Orcs to have WS 4 and strength 4 base (all Orcs have the Choppa special rules which gives them +1 strength on the first round of close combat however). Besides, only the Black Orcs and the orc characters have good leadership. The Goblin part of the army is also entirely the contrary of what you seek. :P

So in conclusion, I would say that Warriors of Chaos and maybe Khorne Daemons are your best bet.
After some consideration, I have realized Lizardmen might be the perfect army for me. Assuming they are still in the game, and keep their general characteristics, in Age of Sigmar, they would fit me great. They have Cold-Blooded and will rarely flee, they have good, deadly melee abilities and they don't waste points on ridiculously thick armour (like dwarf or WoC).

What do you think?
Cheers

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:39 pm

oscisi wrote: After some consideration, I have realized Lizardmen might be the perfect army for me. Assuming they are still in the game, and keep their general characteristics, in Age of Sigmar, they would fit me great. They have Cold-Blooded and will rarely flee, they have good, deadly melee abilities and they don't waste points on ridiculously thick armour (like dwarf or WoC).

What do you think?
Cheers
I think they are very good choice. They have good, sturdy close combat units, monstrous creatures and decent shooting, but most importantly, are among the best magic users in the game. I think it's a strong choice. Their only problems are very low initiative on most of their close combat units and some units are relatively pricey. Honestly, I think it's a good choice.

As for Age of Sigmar, all official infos from GW point toward all current units and models getting new rules and being 100% playable in the new game. So I wouldn't be too stressed about it.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG