Orcs and Goblins 1250 pts v2.0

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: Orcs and Goblins 1250 pts v2.0

Post by Hedonismbot » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:46 pm

So Kovlovsky, what in the hell was that about? I suppose next time I'll just say nothing when something like this comes up and then no one learns anything and I don't get insulted?
TigerDave wrote:One of my taktiks is to use a few Night Goblin shamans. They're cheap, they steal dispell dice for you, and they roll an extra casting die because of mushrooms! Get a few of those annoying gobbo spells out there, steal some dice to power a little foot-stomping fun. I also use cheap screening units for my night gob/fanatics. These are there to block units from trying to get in and pull out my fanatics before I want them to be released. I also will dump my fanatics through my own screeners, which can act as an effective range increaser for the fanatics (the enemy is 8 inches. Your fanatics only went 7, however, because they hit your intermediary unit, they have to go through and one inch beyond! Awww, they hit the other unit too ... isn't that a shame ...)
I've seen screens be used to prevent enemy chaff from drawing out fanatics, but increasing their range like that....that's a good idea.
Last edited by Hedonismbot on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:31 pm

That's an awesome idea TigerDave! I'm going to do this haha!

@Hedonismbot You mean what did he said in his wall of text? His main ideas were that the Orcs and Goblins aren't for people who wants to win as they are quite random and he should choose a more consistent army if he was competitive. They are also expensive to play, but there was an old starting set about Dwarves vs Night Goblins which includes a lot of Night Goblins and was very cheap to buy on Ebay.

(BTW, I found this set as used miniatures in my local independent store and most of them were still on the sprues. For 30$ CAN I got about 50 Night Goblins with Spears, 20 with bows, 10 Spider Riders and one troll from memory. That was quite awesome if you don't mind the old models.)

Then he proceeded to explain what type of units and characters he should strive to get in colloquial words like a unit of ouch maker to say an heavy hitter by example. He also explained that he shouldn't have redundant units and have each role occupied by only one unit.

Then he gives examples of what he does : A Black Orc Warboss on Wyvern to destroy Siege Machines and harass enemy blocks. His size also has a tendancy of making the enemy players wasting a lot of shooting on him. His heavy hitters are 1 large block of Black Orcs and a huge Night Goblins unit. He uses a large block of Wolf Riders or Spider Riders as charge blockers. He also keeps out of his units his shamans as they tend to miscast sooner rather than later and can kill models around them.

He finishes his text by saying that the typical OnG player must have a lot of humor and have fun seing his army doing silly things and not working as intended. That's about what he said.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Hedonismbot » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:That's an awesome idea TigerDave! I'm going to do this haha!

@Hedonismbot You mean what did he said in his wall of text? His main ideas were that the Orcs and Goblins aren't for people who wants to win as they are quite random and he should choose a more consistent army if he was competitive. They are also expensive to play, but there was an old starting set about Dwarves vs Night Goblins which includes a lot of Night Goblins and was very cheap to buy on Ebay.

(BTW, I found this set as used miniatures in my local independent store and most of them were still on the sprues. For 30$ CAN I got about 50 Night Goblins with Spears, 20 with bows, 10 Spider Riders and one troll from memory. That was quite awesome if you don't mind the old models.)
I've got that box too. Got me a ton of greenskins for my own army when I played them back in 7th.
Then he proceeded to explain what type of units and characters he should strive to get in colloquial words like a unit of ouch maker to say an heavy hitter by example. He also explained that he shouldn't have redundant units and have each role occupied by only one unit.
That doesn't seem to be a good idea. Redundancy is key Imo, because when you rely only one thing for the job and something happens(always does) you're screwed. Orcs and gobbos especially need a fallback plan due to said randomness
Then he gives examples of what he does : A Black Orc Warboss on Wyvern to destroy Siege Machines and harass enemy blocks. His size also has a tendancy of making the enemy players wasting a lot of shooting on him. His heavy hitters are 1 large block of Black Orcs and a huge Night Goblins unit. He uses a large block of Wolf Riders or Spider Riders as charge blockers. He also keeps out of his units his shamans as they tend to miscast sooner rather than later and can kill models around them.
I would surprised if that wyvern ever got close enough to kill something like a cannon and when do they ever have only one? Seems like a colossal waste of pts to me.

Why would one ever make a large unit of chaff. It's just sinking more pts into something that's meant to be sacrificial unit and is going to die fast enough anyways.

And keeping his casters out of his units........I can only imagine what a Wood Elf player would be thinking if they ever saw this happening across the board from them.

He finishes his text by saying that the typical OnG player must have a lot of humor and have fun seing his army doing silly things and not working as intended. That's about what he said.
You didn't have to translate it all, but thank you anyways. As you can see, I read through all of that no problem :wink:
Last edited by Hedonismbot on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:08 pm

Your welcome. :)
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG