Orcs and Goblins 1250 pts v2.0

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
TheWolfman
Silver Vault Member

Orcs and Goblins 1250 pts v2.0

Post by TheWolfman » Thu May 28, 2015 4:56 am

Ok, did some reading, and some number crunching and came up with this list. I will be going up against my brothers magic and ranged heavy Tomb Kings list... so I think I will get wrecked. But as this is my first Fantasy army, and I want to keep funds as low as possible and working around the Battleforce set, anyways... I came up with this.

Feel free to rip this apart lol.

Lord

Black Orc Warboss
- Enchanted Shield
- Fencing Blade
- Seed of Rebirth

Hero

Orc Shaman
- Lvl 2
- Channeling Staff
- Tali of Endurance

Core

25 Orc Big 'Uns [Orc Boss goes here]
- Full Command
- Shields
- Banner of Flame

20 Goblins
- Short Bows
- Full Command

10 Goblin Spider Rider
- Full Command

Special

Orc Boar Boyz
- Full Command
- Shields and Spears
- Banner of Discipline

Rare

Doom Diver Catapult

3 River Trolls

1250 on the dot lol. Also, not sure where to put my Shaman...

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: Orcs and Goblins 1250 pts v2.0

Post by Hedonismbot » Thu May 28, 2015 10:16 am

TheWolfman wrote:Ok, did some reading, and some number crunching and came up with this list. I will be going up against my brothers magic and ranged heavy Tomb Kings list... so I think I will get wrecked. But as this is my first Fantasy army, and I want to keep funds as low as possible and working around the Battleforce set, anyways... I came up with this.
OnG are never going to be cheap. If you want a budget friendly army this is not the force for you. The army thrives on sheer numbers of models it can field, of any kind.
Feel free to rip this apart lol.

Lord

Black Orc Warboss
- Enchanted Shield
- Fencing Blade
- Seed of Rebirth
This is illegal. Fencers blades count as a pair of cc weapons, so you cannot take a shield of any kind along with it.
Hero

Orc Shaman
- Lvl 2
- Channeling Staff
- Tali of Endurance
No dispell scroll? And here you were complaining about facing a magic hvy army.
Core

25 Orc Big 'Uns [Orc Boss goes here]
- Full Command
- Shields
- Banner of Flame

20 Goblins
- Short Bows
- Full Command
Why regular goblins? Their ld is still garbage, plus they don't have fanatics. Go night goblins or bust.
10 Goblin Spider Rider
- Full Command

Special

Orc Boar Boyz
- Full Command
- Shields and Spears
- Banner of Discipline
So many upgrades spent on such a small unit. I could this being justified if you upgraded the mob size, but for only 5 of them, no.
Rare

Doom Diver Catapult

3 River Trolls

1250 on the dot lol. Also, not sure where to put my Shaman...
Shaman should go with the goblins. Preferably behind the big uns.
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

TheWolfman
Silver Vault Member

Post by TheWolfman » Thu May 28, 2015 10:55 am

Well, I am basing this around the Battalion so Regular Goblins come with it. I want to utilize everything in it to learn the game for I can slowly add to it and switch things in and out. Buying a few units to add to existing units isn't a big deal to me but my brother and I want to start learning and playing as soon as possible.

Read a lot of forums for competitive lists but I am no where close to doing that.

I was thinking of making the Black Orc a Hero, and the Shaman a Lord. But I dunno.

Either way, thanks for the feedback =3.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu May 28, 2015 1:11 pm

I'm an OnG players too and I agree with hedonismbot has said. Night goblins are way better than normal goblins. Sure, you don't get light armor with them and your Ld is lower, but you get fanatics. It makes all the difference. Suddenly your goblin block is something to be feared, it is something that can do a lot of damage even to heavy infantry. Just keep them in the range of your general and they will use his Ld. Another possibility for bigger games is putting one Night Goblin Big Boss in the unit with a Crown of Command to make them Stubborn and ideally a few other NG Big Bosses with Great Weapons to eat challenges and hit the enemy unit hard.

Personnally, I completely ignored the battalion box. The addition of normal goblins made it a lot less attractive. It's too bad, because the other units in it were relatively good picks although I prefer the Wolf Riders to the Spider Riders for speed reasons (Spider Riders are still good and handy).

Edit : Added a few suggestions about Night Goblins.

I don't know the Tomb Kings very well, but how many WS does their regular fighting lord have? Fencer Blades might now be useful if they have more than 4 WS and less than 7. Black Orc Warbosses are WS 7 so, if his best guy has 6, you will still hit him on 3s and he will hit you on 4s. With WS 10 (Fencer Blades), you will still hit him on 3s and him on 4s. If they have WS 7, it might be useful, but not otherwise.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Hedonismbot

Post by Hedonismbot » Thu May 28, 2015 10:01 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:I'm an OnG players too and I agree with hedonismbot has said. Night goblins are way better than normal goblins. Sure, you don't get light armor with them and your Ld is lower, but you get fanatics. It makes all the difference. Suddenly your goblin block is something to be feared, it is something that can do a lot of damage even to heavy infantry. Just keep them in the range of your general and they will use his Ld. Another possibility for bigger games is putting one Night Goblin Big Boss in the unit with a Crown of Command to make them Stubborn and ideally a few other NG Big Bosses with Great Weapons to eat challenges and hit the enemy unit hard.
Forgot the netters. So good.
Personnally, I completely ignored the battalion box. The addition of normal goblins made it a lot less attractive. It's too bad, because the other units in it were relatively good picks although I prefer the Wolf Riders to the Spider Riders for speed reasons (Spider Riders are still good and handy).

Edit : Added a few suggestions about Night Goblins.

I don't know the Tomb Kings very well, but how many WS does their regular fighting lord have? Fencer Blades might now be useful if they have more than 4 WS and less than 7. Black Orc Warbosses are WS 7 so, if his best guy has 6, you will still hit him on 3s and he will hit you on 4s. With WS 10 (Fencer Blades), you will still hit him on 3s and him on 4s. If they have WS 7, it might be useful, but not otherwise.
Tomb king is Ws 6 and the prince is 5. But what makes them deadly, is that confer their WS to their unit, so you'll end up fighting a horde of ws 6 skellies(which is no joke for something that crappy.

TheWolfman
Silver Vault Member

Post by TheWolfman » Thu May 28, 2015 11:21 pm

Is the new Savage Orc Web Bundle worth it? After all the advice you two have given and from other forums it seems Savage Orcs and Night Goblins are the way to go.

Zipding
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Location: Hovering behind your left shoulder, invisibly, of course

Post by Zipding » Fri May 29, 2015 12:22 am

Savage Orc Big 'Uns with Extra Hand weapons are absolutely terrifying in large numbers. Throw a Savage Orc Great Shaman with the Lucky Shrunken Head and it gets even worse. For extra measure, put in a Black Orc BSB for the true and only Deathstar unit in the OnG book.

There's an old Warhammer Fantasy batrep from Miniwargaming where a group of these guys mulched a Gutstar unit with very few casualties. Also, if you have the numbers, they absolutely murderize a Steam Tank in a single turn.
Armies:
Lizardmen: 3200 points
Vampire Counts: 2500 points
Skaven: 2200 points

Amount painted by army:
Lizardmen: 97%
Vampire Counts: 92%
Skaven: 87%

TheWolfman
Silver Vault Member

Post by TheWolfman » Fri May 29, 2015 12:32 am

That's what I was reading, feel pretty convinced due to that AND they look fun as hell to paint too lol.

TheWolfman
Silver Vault Member

Post by TheWolfman » Fri May 29, 2015 1:36 am

So, my brother and I decided to up our lists to 1500 to add some extra fun. After taking everyones advice and staying at 1500pts I came up with this.

Lord
Savage Orc Great Shaman
- Level 4
- Lucky Head

Night Goblin Warboss
- Light Armour
- Enchanted Shield
- Spellthieving Sword
- Luckstone

Hero
Black Orc Big Boss
- Shield
- Banner of Discipline

Night Goblin Shaman
- Level 1
- Dispel Scroll

Core
30 Savange Orc Big 'Uns [Black Orc and Savage Shaman here]
- Extra Weapons
- Musician
- Champion

40 Night Goblins [Night Gob Warboss and Shaman here]
- Netters
- Full command
- 2 Fanatics

Special
20 Black Orcs
- Shields
- Full Command

Rare
Doom Diver

Of course, tweaks are always welcome. Thanks!

Aaron-Pigmi-Tribal-Lord
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Aaron-Pigmi-Tribal-Lord » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:54 pm

ok so when I play I don't play with less than 4,000 pts because I figure go big or go home LOL my force is mostly Goblins with some Orcs sprinkled in for backbone. the First piece of advice if you care about winning don't play Orcs and Gobos. they are a really expensive army and lots of crazy unpredictable things can happen. Your better off with Empire or High Elves, something like that. Also just as everyone else has said Orcs and Gobos is with the exception of maybe Skaven the most expensive army they have in WHFB. To offset this there was a starter set a few years ago with goblins vers dwarfs, if you go online you can still find it around and even broken apart on E-bay when they came out with that I bought 4 and sold off everything that wasn't the goblins to bolster my ranks and now I have HUGE hoards of Gobos. OK so with every army you need a few simple units you need a Magic maker/stopper (something that can cast nasty spells and stop your enemy from doing the same) you need the ouch maker (the unit that's going to do the hurting) you need charge blockers (the fast and cheep unit that will stop the enemy ouch maker from hitting you ) you need a harasser (a fast typically flying unit that can flank or disrupt big units) and you need a swatter (something that can swat units like cannons or catapults that like to hide on a hill in the back).
so how do your units fit the slots you need ?
Magic maker, Ouch maker , Charge blockers , Harasser , Swatter. If you find you have more of one type and not enough of another then your going to loose. In my case I run with a black orc warboss on a wyvren all kidded out. this can run double duty he can be a swatter if I need or he can be a harasser and he's very very good at harassing LOL but also the wyvren gives him the mobility to move around the field quickly conveying his leadership to lesser units. Gobos have a tendency to stick around a little while longer when they are backed up by this guy. Also he's a HUGE target and if you know that going in then you know how to manipulate your opponent into wasting fire on him and not something more important. I use LARGE units of Gobo wolf riders or spider riders (if there's lots of terrain) as charge blockers they are reltivly cheep and fast enough to get in the way. though they are typically a one time use, if you hit right or get hit in a good place then comes the warboss for the flank and Ld bonus. My ouch units are broken into two Black orks on foot and a HUGE night gobo unit with all the trimmings. it's important to keep Shamans and magic users out of units as they will eventually do something that causes them to explode in a fantastic way ... limit casualties by not putting them in a huge unit that will not only loose precious bodies but might also have to take a Ld test. any time orcs and gobos (especially gobos have to take an Ld test it's typically not going to end well LOL ). Just remember the type of person who plays Orcs and Gobos is the kind of person who can laugh all the way through the game when your trolls are stupid , your gobos get into a huge fight with themselves and your orks fail their animosity and charge ahead right through a fanatic killing half the unit then failing their ld and running off the table , while your giant dies and falls on your warboss killing him outright and your shaman explodes half his unit all on one turn. these are the kinds of things you can look forward to as an Orc gobo player LOL it's happened to me more than one game and it's probably happened to every orc gobo player on these forums ... just rememebr to laugh it off and kill some more ! hope all this helped I know you posted this last month but still better late then never 'eh.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:03 pm

BTW, if the rumours are true, big armies will no longer have a real place in the new edition. So your advice to go big or go home might no longer be true. That said, it's very true that the Orks currently work best in bigger games.

Hedonismbot

Post by Hedonismbot » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Sorry but I didn't even bother reading what the newbie said.

No one wants to try and read a wall of text like that.

Aaron-Pigmi-Tribal-Lord
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Aaron-Pigmi-Tribal-Lord » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:13 pm

Kovlovsky: Until the rumors aren't just rumors my advice is still solid. and I have a feeling that a lot of people are keep playing in this edition, long after the new one comes out.

Hedonismbot I feel sorry for you.
LOL to much didn't read will be the extinction of the human race.
I've been playing since the 80's i'm just new to the forums ... but I see that was kind of a waste of time.
Don't bother replying I won't be back to read it. unless it makes you feel good.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:24 pm

I think the 8th edition will live on if the new edition is as much different from the previous ones as the rumours are saying, but still, I wanted to make clear to the OP to not be surprised if the gameplay totally change.

Second thing, I think your post would be more readable if you made more paragraphs. It makes reading a lot easier. I think that's what Hedonismbot wanted to say.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by TigerDave » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:22 am

One of my taktiks is to use a few Night Goblin shamans. They're cheap, they steal dispell dice for you, and they roll an extra casting die because of mushrooms! Get a few of those annoying gobbo spells out there, steal some dice to power a little foot-stomping fun. I also use cheap screening units for my night gob/fanatics. These are there to block units from trying to get in and pull out my fanatics before I want them to be released. I also will dump my fanatics through my own screeners, which can act as an effective range increaser for the fanatics (the enemy is 8 inches. Your fanatics only went 7, however, because they hit your intermediary unit, they have to go through and one inch beyond! Awww, they hit the other unit too ... isn't that a shame ...)