Latest 9th Ed Rumors - MODEL PICS ADDED / RULES PICS TOO

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Latest 9th Ed Rumors - MODEL PICS ADDED / RULES PICS TOO

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:40 pm

General-Kroll wrote:From what you fellas are saying it's all a bit of a free for all army building wise. That won't make for the best playing experience, and for me as a 40k player, list building, and squeezing as much bang out of 1850 points is a big part of the hobby.
Yea, for me, army list building was half the fun! :D
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:18 pm

General-Kroll wrote:
Nappen wrote:I have tried on multiple devices and no luck. It must be because I am stationed in Germany now.
Here's the link, maybe it will work if you go to it direct.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/age ... tid=135306

Just came up. Stupid white dwarf is sold out. Already on eBay for 20-30 bucks :evil:

No idea why it wouldn't work.

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:57 am

I notice all the fantasy scenery is gone from GW's site. Is that all going away?

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by TigerDave » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:05 am

The fantasy scenery had been dropped well before now over a period of time. I think the Garden of Morr and the Fortress were the last two holdouts. I do know that there is a whole new line of scenery coming out, and we see this with the Ophidian Archway and the gates you see with the Stormcast, as well as new battle boards. I have seen a bit of building material that looks predominately like the 40K scenario in that it is shattered walls, etc. but I haven't got a name or price for you yet. I think the Archway and the boards go preseale this upcoming week.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:17 am

Ah, so. Just picked up mighty empires from the local store. Glad I have a pile scenery.

sillinde
Silver Vault Member

Post by sillinde » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:10 am

Well, I'm dissapointed. The rules simply do not work. I can deal with having to talk back and forth with my opponent about what to field, I mostly play with friends anyway. But every game devolves into a blob of models fighting in the middle and we're just rolling dice again and again until one side dies. The only tactical choice is which unit to try to focus down first.

I'm just sad that what we got were fun rules (i love the silly ones) but the game just isn't fun for me. I guess I'll keep playing 8th until it dies out in my area and by then having picked up another game.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:56 am

I'm worried, because this seems to be the general consensus. Things just blob together and you roll 4+ 3+ 4+ over and over again. I'm still going to try it, hoping to get my daughters involved. I'm also hoping that there will be some missions and stuff coming down the pike to help clean up this mess.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Zrie
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Zrie » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:47 pm

I havent played it myself yet but I've simply gotten to a complete stop as I can't wrap my head around even finding out which models to use. It very much feel like the open beta game that people atleast on this forum gotten relatively excited about hoping for a good game, but finding out that open beta.. Means a half arsed game that is most likely no where near complete enough to actually enjoy for more then five minutes. It looks like it could be fun, however it might need a half year or more to get finished.

FrigginPandas
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by FrigginPandas » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:15 am

I like that open beta concept because one thing I've always seen in this hobby are people complaining about rules. Now say you do what GW is doing (if its their plan) and release the game in the state like it's in now and have it be one giant beta test where they see reactions and look at feedback then implement it to see what works and what doesn't. So, essentially...everyone is going to be helping make a tabletop game everyone wants, right?

That or it takes too much feedback and it runs itself into the ground. Haha.
Skaven, Necrons and Dark Angels. What more can you ask for?....Well, maybe space Skaven...

sillinde
Silver Vault Member

Post by sillinde » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:08 am

FrigginPandas, has GW ever stated this to be a beta test because I haven't seen that. Would be nice to hear if it is.

Also seen some HE vs HE action and shooting is insane, especially if you get to go twice in a row early on, it can win you the game.

Zrie
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Zrie » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:39 am

- Warning: Everything I write is from my own personal opinion, I have no inside information from GW and I have no idea how GW's Company actually Work, I can only take guesses. Please do not consider this a post from anyone else then just a random guy on the internet with a train of thoughts.

AoS is not a beta game, its the complete game. However it -feel- to me like it is a beta/not a complete game, even if GW says its complete.

8th edition Fantasy was a complete game that was very competetive, and didnt really need its expansions for anything other then getting a casual laugh.. How many still play Storm of Magic? End times I've heard have a lot of stupid nonsense like the insane magic phases and such...

Age of Sigmar is a 'complete' game (that can easily get its flaws fixed because all the rules are pdf files) that is meant to give you a casual laugh like the crazy expansions in 8th did, hopefully we'll see expansions to Age of Sigmar that is aimed at the more competetive players.

The roles of what the core game needs to bring and what the expansions need to add would seem to have got switched around. IF we even get expansions.. I don't know, but if we don't I'll go cry in a corner, because to me half the game looks good, the other half.. is not there.

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Hedonismbot » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:01 am

Dez wrote:I'm worried, because this seems to be the general consensus. Things just blob together and you roll 4+ 3+ 4+ over and over again. I'm still going to try it, hoping to get my daughters involved. I'm also hoping that there will be some missions and stuff coming down the pike to help clean up this mess.
It really is like this. While the much faster pace of things is nice, everything seems so dull and watered down for kids who cannot pay attention to anything for more than 5 minutes. 40k rules set is looking like a priceless piece of artwork compared to this right now.

Shooting really is crazy to the point of being broken. I saw a single high elf bolt thrower mow down 5 chaos knights in 1 go, while the other one 1 shot a chaos lord.

There's very little point in taking characters right now, as they are so damn squishy and the fact that you can't put in a unit or get any kind of look out sir(except for undead) is pants on head stupid.

The fact that just about every gaming grp had to come up with some kind of comp system the day it came out, is idiotic. I like that we are free to do whatever we want, but we've always been able to do this. Unless you're playing in a GW store, they can't do anything to stop you.

Some basic guidelines would've been nice.

Sudden death is also moronic. You can take 1 objective and should you do it, win the game no matter how badly you got your butt whooped. Best 1 to grab is have at least 1 of your models survive after 6 turns(so just hide him in a corner behind a wall). What you are outnumbered by is meaningless. Sure I could get some guy taking the equivalent of 50 chaos warriors to fight your 10 empire swordsmen needs something to make it fair, but some guy who took a horde of crappy goblins or zombies is now getting penalized.

Also just read the natfka blog and was a bit angry when I saw why they put in the stupid "act things out" for some rules. It's like they're pretending over 30 years of their game never existed by making it so idiotic that it will never be seen public. If anyone wanted to know how much GW values their vets, this is your answer.

I'm not even sure Matt Ward is gone either if you've the new background material they wrote for this.

That's all I've got for now. I just expected something........better than this from a company that's supposed to be the leader in it's field.

I really hope they do put in some new content fix it real soon, otherwise....
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by TigerDave » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:08 am

Dez wrote:Things just blob together and you roll 4+ 3+ 4+ over and over again.
I won't deny, there is some slop going on in regards to positioning units. I watched the Ash/Owen BATREP and I won't deny that I wasn't happy with the line of knights across the entire frontage of his army.

However, the 4+ 3+ 4+ really IS what we have done in the past (this is a generalization and not an absolute; I understand this). We just don't recognize it because the "math step" that camouflaged it is removed. However, the average roll you are mostly going to see 4+ based upon the to hit charts.

I think I would rather have had the to-wound rolls be based on the target unit and not the attacking unit though. I understand the toughness of the unit is moved now to the amount of wounds it has, but for me it seems a more elegant way to work out combat. I guess they just wanted combat to be more simplified in that I have everything I need to do to succeed on my warscroll, and everything you need to succeed on your warscroll.
Also just read the natfka blog and was a bit angry when I saw why they put in the stupid "act things out" for some rules. It's like they're pretending over 30 years of their game never existed by making it so idiotic that it will never be seen public. If anyone wanted to know how much GW values their vets, this is your answer.
I would say this is just for fun. It is not an aspect of the game that I would enforce, even if I normally do go "Hurr hurr hurr!" when my ogres charge ...

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:48 am

Dave I realized afterwards that it really is what we do in either WFB or 40k, I'm just going to miss that deployment and the movement phase were such an important part of the overall strategy. It was the most daunting thing about starting Fantasy, but also ended up being the most fun.

I'm not down on AoS yet! In fact I've got some fun ideas for Warriors of Chaos.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!