Latest 9th Ed Rumors - MODEL PICS ADDED / RULES PICS TOO

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Zrie
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Latest 9th Ed Rumors - MODEL PICS ADDED / RULES PICS TOO

Post by Zrie » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:57 pm

This post was related to TigerDave's last post about a slightly disapointing White Dwarf, but took so long that several people jumped infront of my post!

-> Important: All of this is just my personal opinion, experience and thoughts, I perfectly understand that a lot of people would disagree with what I've written.

Is that something that you think will be a big problem in the future of Age of Sigmar/other GW games, or is that just the company growing so big or old, that it is not able to connect with its customers because it is too busy trying to keep itself professional, hip, cool with the kids.

I'm a big pc gamer and follow that industry as a hobby, and I just can't call myself a fanboy of any Companies anymore because... They get too big, too greedy, too careless or too lazy.

I personally wouldnt let Games Workshop drive my car, I don't trust them enough. But I wouldnt call them the EA of minature games, atleast their models are complete when you get them (*cough cough* Finecast *cough*). But like Nintendo they are an old company with a lot of good history and because they been such a dominant business, they might struggle in this new age where there is a lot of competition, and what they think is the right thing to do might end up being the wrong thing, as example trying to look more professional in the White Dwarf.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:13 pm

GW has a lot of problems obviously, but like you, I wouldn't call GW the EA of miniatures games. The reason is that, beside their redundant sport games, EA doesn't create. They buy the good studios and take control of their IP to build a huge monopoly. Then like the exact contrary of Midas, a legendary king of Lydia who had the power of turn everything that he touched into gold, EA turns everything they touch into s***. EA bought Westwood and Command and Conquer : killed the series with the very bad C&C 4. EA bought Bioware : made a couple of good to decent games, then made the problematic Mass Effect 3 and the disappointing SWtOR. Baldur's Gates and Neverwinter Nights? Never heard of them again (except the BG1 and 2 remakes which were done by a third party).

At least GW still creates things that are often enjoyable. The thing that is really problematic is that they live in the past. They continue to act like if there was no competition and like if we could still pay insane prices forever. Our wallets aren't bottomless you know and there is an actual economic crisis.

And they still stuggle with doing a balanced edition. It's been like 4 new editions since I started playing in the 3rd and they still aren't able to make a coordinated codex writing team with clear goals and a long term plan. So, the 7th edition codices have been like a rollercoaster. It starts on the ground (Orks), it rises (Space Wolves), it goes down (Blood Angels) and makes an epic rise to sky high level (Necrons and Eldars), etc. GW has learned nothing in codex writing during all these years, heh?
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Hedonismbot » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:24 am

On the plus side, at the rate everything's getting redone, all those first run 7th ed 40k army books will be getting redone in a couple months. :lol:

Well, it's the last day for warhammer folks, tomorrow is the start of the age of whatever.

I mean age of whatever, because the entire warhammer crowd at where I play, took a look at what they've done to the game and have unanimously said, we're sticking to 8th.

Best of luck for you folks.
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

TheWolfman
Silver Vault Member

Post by TheWolfman » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:46 am

http://m.imgur.com/a/wKBMo#

Incase people can't wait a day lol

Zrie
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Zrie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:20 pm

Ow dear sigmar, I've laughed so much reading though that, I'll wait with the funny things and more serious things until all is up tomorrow...

BUT they didn't mention that the rule sheet or warscrolls was free, just that you could download them from their website... I hope it won't happen, but I wouldnt be surprised to see a paywall blocking access to those rules tomorrow. HOPEFULLY I'm wrong!

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by TigerDave » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Okay, so here is why I am looking forward to Age of Sigmar:

1) No more To-Hit/To-Wound charts. You're right - it is NOT hard math. However, at my age I still can't get those charts memorized. Just knowing I have X to hit, and you knowing you have X to save should speed things up greatly.

2) No more playing "Warhammer Tetris", trying to get your forces to rank up just so, and then painting numbers on the bases in order to make things fit.

3) When my friend has a 2000 point army and I only have a 1000 point army, we don't have to wait six months for me to buy, build and paint (ADD, sorry) so he can enjoy his. I can comfortably grow my force and yet still play him in a meaningful game, and I can do it TODAY.

4) Hoping for no more static gunlines. I'd like my dwarfs to move and shoot please (and I think they're going to be able to), because while ranged fire is nice, quite frankly its the "in your face!" where the game gets fun.

5) No more going to page 19, then to page 32, and then to page 78 in order to discuss and resolve all the characteristics impacting a specific situation. The BRB has rules that apply to a specific situation all over the place. Being limited to just 4 pages of rules, and then the specific warscrolls in hand, should make problems in gameplay much faster to resolve.

6) No more waiting a decade to actually get models I can add to my force now. If I want to play a thematically pure army I can, but if I also want to add the latest gribbly to my army, I can do that as well.

7) Being able to discover a new world. Don't get me wrong, I *adore* Old World. However, I am looking forward to discovering something new. Old World will exist in my heart forever, so that is fine as well.

8) New players? While I hear a lot of "we're sticking with 8th" comments, and I fully expect (and support) peoples' decision to not move forward, with all due respect we're not playing now. My hobby friend base is spread all over the world via the internet, but local gaming buds? Pretty sparse. I'm hoping this will bring in new blood of all ages. It can't kill my local gaming scene because that's just three of us ... and I can play 8th with them as well.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:27 pm

TigerDave wrote:2) No more playing "Warhammer Tetris", trying to get your forces to rank up just so, and then painting numbers on the bases in order to make things fit.
Very this. Trying to make blocks of models actually rank up, and then having to number and magnetize them to keep them in the right place... my least favourite part of the hobby ;)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:53 pm

Lemme tell you a story about Bloodletters and Halberdiers.

Goodbye unit ranking, you made the game tactical but the hobby a nightmare.
I can't think of a witty signature.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:54 pm

Yes. I also earned my degree at the school of Bloodletters.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:00 pm

Personnally, I will probably play both. Why limiting myself while I can play both things for different reasons? :) It's not like if I was playing a completely useless book. The OnG book might not be the best, but it's far from being bad. So, it makes sense to me to still play the 8th and play the AoS when I don't want to do something long and complicated.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:11 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:Personnally, I will probably play both. Why limiting myself while I can play both things for different reasons? :)
This!!

Best. Idea. Ever.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:54 pm

The Age of Sigmar is here. Warhammer Fantasy has been removed from the GW site and replaced.

ParanoidEngineer

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:05 pm

Ladies and gents, switch your GW region of choice to Australia and you will see the Age of Sigmar update in all its glory.

ParanoidEngineer

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:10 pm

NEW WARSCROLLS:

I have found the new warscrolls, I'll link them for your convenience:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/age ... id=4804671

This is a page linking all new warscrolls for all army books, free.

You might have to change to Australia to get them, but they are free to save onto your own computer for personal use.

AGE OF SIGMAR WOO!

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:20 pm

Might be being naive here but I still don't really understand how we'll be able to keep tabs on unit size. Is there a limit to the number of units allowed in a particular army? And if so what is the limit on the number of models in that unit?

I could see situations in which I turn up to a game with a significantly smaller/larger army than my opponent completely by accident.

I'm in no way attached to the previously used points system but that did at least maintain a degree of balance.

I've probably missed something important so sorry if this is just treading old ground.
Khorne Daemonkin mostly right now...ask again next week.

My WIP Thread: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 8&t=115134