Latest 9th Ed Rumors - MODEL PICS ADDED / RULES PICS TOO

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Latest 9th Ed Rumors - MODEL PICS ADDED / RULES PICS TOO

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:09 pm

coldsteel wrote:Just remember, if you don't like this, you can always go play 'real' (8th Ed) Warhammer...
Yes, and I will be probably doing this as much as I can while playing the new game when I have less time or wanting to play a simpler game.

I agree that the disappearance of army books is sad. I always grow attached to my codices and I'm rereading even the older ones. I love having the fluff at hand and I don't have that much money to buy the novels, but I also love to have one book with everything I need to know about my army instead of searching in a pile of easy to loose battlescrolls or having to have a pad around and searching forever to find the right scroll, opening it and then another ... (I don't have a pad anyway)

The other thing that I fear is that they try to impose the new format on Warhammer 40k and making the game awfuly simplistic ... I would just be playing the 7th edition as long as I can, but finding like minded opponents may be hard for me in my area.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Zrie
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Zrie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:32 pm

Yes the loss of army identity is also the biggest fear I have now, after the loss of my expensive sports car (warhammer fantasy). I REALLY love Skaven and without them I'd most likely change to play a more steampunk'ish game.

The fear is that because there will always, -always- be meta gaming, will the Skaven then be so bad compared to other armies/units in the 'Chaos allience' that it will not be competetive. I don't want my entire army Collection to feel like how my Rat Ogres feel in Warhammer fantasy, cool but useless.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by TigerDave » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:39 pm

I wouldn't make any decisions until you see the warscrolls. What was Skaven then is most likely NOT what Skaven is now. Patience my furry little friend - it is still ... Year of the Rat!!

frankelee
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by frankelee » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:23 pm

TigerDave wrote:It *IS* a secret masonic lodge, and now I know not to trust you ... but yes, WD75 should be the number. By the way, we need to keep the following in mind:

If rumors are correct, WHFB was not profitable enough to support it. You had one of two options:
- Change the game.
- Kill the game.

Either way, what you were going to get was going to be painful. Either a complete reboot to address over three decades of accumulated problems, or the end of Fantasy as we know it. I get it, change is painful. Amputations even moreso. Given the choice, I'll choose change every time.
I've felt this was a rather odd rumor to be honest. For example, so many people are talking about moving over to Kings of War, but anybody want to name a game Mantic produces which is outselling WFB? There's no need to bother looking for an answer, they don't have any games which sell that much. We're talking about a game that was in the top 5 of icv2 lists for miniatures games two years ago. Dying? Not profitable enough?

Not to mention it doesn't really seem like the game itself (even though there were plenty of things about 8th edition people didn't like) had anything to do with falling sales, but rather the company behind the game and their continued BS that instead was causing them.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:27 pm

Insane pricing are clearly a big thorn in GWs side, but they are directed by people who thinks they can still have a good 80% of profits on each product sold and get away from it without loosing sales.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Lionic
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Location: somewher over the prysmatic refection of visible light in dihydrogen monoxide percipitaition

Post by Lionic » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:53 pm

here's the thing i don't really understand; if you are going to make a skirmish game, why make the rules less complex? It seems like at that level there's more room to have a bunch of individual complex rules that would bog down a large scale game.
The question is, do oil your war machines... or feed them

Zrie
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Zrie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:23 pm

The main target for this game is new players, to make a game so simple that you, me and that guy over there can just give four pages of rules to our friends and say "Read this within 20min and then lets play!". We as current warhammer fantasy players are not the biggest target, which right fully could and have made a lot angry because we already invested so much into warhammer fantasy.

But its business, I've seen it happen in World of Warcraft that the new/casual players are the majority target, but with same game I've also seen them afterwards make things right again with very hard boss fights and so on. Which I hope that GW also does by making expansions to Age of Sigmar with more and more rules, so that we'll end up having a choice between simple rules without expansions, or very complicated expansions.

ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:28 pm

It's worth remembering that this is literally the start of an entirely new ruleset, and so complexity is naturally being with-held until the community grasps the basics - it would be impossible to play a game of 40k level complexity without first playing it in a stripped-down format a few times first. If you're concerned about your army, over simplicity or the like, just let GW find its feet and work on expanding this new world, and remember nothing is stopping you from continuing the play in the old one.
I can't think of a witty signature.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:48 pm

I lied ... one last pic. This is a good one, and I saved the best for last!!

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:36 pm

WHIPPY STICKS!!!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:36 pm

I think I am going to miss artillery dice

TheWolfman
Silver Vault Member

Post by TheWolfman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:48 am

I think AoS will give us enough freedom do add in things if we want to play how we want to play. So your artillery dice could still be useful ;)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:17 am

How did I miss no artillery dice???
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:18 pm

Now I want...

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:11 pm

So, the game is going to be unbalanced, you say. There's no force structure, completely unbound, you say.

Ah! Why yes, yes it is. However, we haven't seen EVERYTHING! Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce unto you ... the Warscroll Battalion:

You are correct, the "unit" warscrolls are still "as many figures as you want in that unit", but going by the BNs you will find more structure applied, that you're not just out there flapping. This should help the tournament players feel more relaxed.

What I like about this is that your "hordes" are restricted to the units, and I can see the units being big: my mind is already imagining swarms of Skaven. But, we then go to the sudden death rules, which help by providing those alternative win scenarios.

I like it. I like it a lot!! Last night I was actually on the verge of posting that my concern was that this ended up being a bit too much like Inquisitor--good game, but too much "feely" with no real structure made it hard to grasp play-wise, even for a GM to balance the scenario.

Tiger is happy, and Tiger is EXCITED. I think AoS is really shaping up to be something pretty darned special.