500pt HE Border Patrols Advice

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

500pt HE Border Patrols Advice

Post by TigerDave » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:05 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, I could use some advice. When it comes to Dwarfs or Ogres my tactical genius is dialed to '11'. For High Elves, my amp dial only goes to 5. I don't necessarily need to be "unstoppable", but "owch, that hurt!" would be nice. I think my logic is okay, but I wouldn't mind views from outside my limited experience.

The Format
500 pts from a specific Army book
0 Lords
1 Hero
1-3 Core Units
0-1 Special OR Rare Unit

No unit size >25 models
No more than a single war machine, monster, or chariot
No model cost > 125 points

Specific model requirements (Paladin, Necromancer/Vampire, etc.) waived.
No undead crumble due to lack of magic user or death of general.
1/2 Table size
2d3 Winds of Magic Dice

My Proposed Force:
High Elf Mage, Level 1
- Ruby Ring of Ruin
- Lore of High Magic or Fire
I do not wish to just give up the magic phase, even though it is pretty limited. 2d3 averages to 4 dice on the bell curve, which should allow me to power up both the spell and the ring. I chose High Magic because of: 1) casting bonus, 2) decent overall spell selection, and 3) "low power" versions castable on a 5+. A strong lore option would be to go Fire because of the Fireball signature spell and awesome lore synergy with the ring.

5x Ellyrian Reavers
- Musician
5x Ellyrian Reavers
- Musician
Fast cav shooters (Vanguard, Fire on March) should allow me to get to the 'back 40' rapidly while avoiding charge arcs. Musicians to allow +1 to rally on Flee reactions. Primarily used to attack war machine, then shift to harrying troops. Finally, flank/rear charges when the target unit is engaged with the Phoenix Guard.

10x Phoenix Guard
- Musician, Standard Bearer
- Standard of Eternal Flame
Superb unit survivability. Nullifies/reduces the impact of psychology. Anti-Regen, anti-Mundane immunity weapons. Good S for high-T troops like dwarfs. My only concern is do they have enough S, or should I go Swordsmen? Right now I am pretty stuck on these guys though. Besides, I always wanted to paint them!

I avoided the Eagle Claw deliberately. If I take it, I end up with S3 troops, which is a concern to me. I'd like whatever unit gets into a fight to have a decent chance of delivering wounds.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: 500pt HE Border Patrols Advice

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:37 am

TigerDave wrote:I avoided the Eagle Claw deliberately. If I take it, I end up with S3 troops, which is a concern to me.
I read this as "$3 troops" 3 or 4 times before I realized that was an S, and wondered why $3 troops would concern anyone.

In other news, I'm not done my coffee yet.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: 500pt HE Border Patrols Advice

Post by TigerDave » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:21 am