Ogre Kingdoms!

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Titomcd
Silver Vault Member

Ogre Kingdoms!

Post by Titomcd » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi All,

Recently was gifted an Ogre Kingdoms Battalion! I love the models, and was looking for a reason to paint some fantasy stuff ( I know, I know, its a bad time to start fantasy).

I also picked up a tyrant, a box of mournfang cavalry, a scraplauncher kit, and a stonehorn.

Any recommendations on how I should build any of these kits or equip them? I don't own a codex yet, and haven't really seen any good ogre kingdoms blogs (although I'm sure i'm missing them).

Thoughts from the crowd?

-T

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: Ogre Kingdoms!

Post by TigerDave » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:14 pm

I luvs me sum ogres! Probably my favorite army to play.

First off, notice your movements. That means .... you MOVE. Fortune favors the bold.

In my opinion, Mournfang are nearly the best, if not the best, heavy cav in the game. They are EXPENSIVE though, so I only take 3 with Ironfists.

Stonehorn charges with the Mournfang. You should be rolling over just about everything out there.

People will WHINE about it, but you take the cannon, not the scraplauncher (unless it is the old one). Scraplauncher DOES have its place, don't get me wrong. but you are going to want a ranged hammer and this one is it.
(Fun Fact: My cannon's Gnobby has killed a model in every ... single ... battle! That litte guy is FIERCE!! Best target so far: Chaos Chosen.)

Bellower only in Leadbelchers. I never take a move-and-shoot unit without a musician for that swift reform.

Try to get your ogres block up to a min of 6. Same for Ironguts. I use these as hammer and anvil. Regardless they hit like a freight train.

Personal habits - Even if the range is pretty iffy, I declare a charge every time I can pull one off. Worst thing is ... I don't make it (which I wouldn't be doing if I didn't charge anyways). But, if you get the Ogre charge ... wham.

I had to put little cards on mine that say "Don't forget the Stomp" because I love to forget that. *sigh*

You will def want a BSB. The leadership is so-so, but you have such high points costs in only a few models/units you cannot afford to break and run.

Don't be afraid to throw gnobbies out there. I don't bother with trappers unless I'm facing a horde army. 30 Dangerous Terrain tests will pay off, but 5 is only meh.

Cheap sabertusks can run around the battlefield as blockers too. I like to do that as well for a 21 point fear causer.

Overall, have fun, get the blubber in the frackas and don't forget to go, "Hur Hur Hur!" when you make a long charge or pursuit and catch. In fact, go "Hur hur hur!" often.

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Hedonismbot » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:08 am

Titomcd wrote:Hi All,

Recently was gifted an Ogre Kingdoms Battalion! I love the models, and was looking for a reason to paint some fantasy stuff ( I know, I know, its a bad time to start fantasy).
Not at all. This probably the BEST time to start, as there's never been so much awesome content being released. Just ignore all those rumours about armies being canned. You'll be able to use your mini's no matter what the new edition brings and you can count on that!
I also picked up a tyrant, a box of mournfang cavalry, a scraplauncher kit, and a stonehorn.
Not familiar with Tyrant builds as the ogre players I've talked to view the Tyrant as a waste of pts compared to taking a wizard.

I know Ash does something like give him armour of glittering scales, fencers blades and seed of rebirth, along with an Ogre big name(kind've like his own warlord trait)

Grab the mournfang ironfists and you're good. Maybe get a banner in there too and you can add in more should you choose to make the unit bigger. Some folks give them the dragonhide banner but I wouldn't wasting points for such a small unit.

As TigerDave said, make it an ironblaster.

You can mount a hunter on the stonehorn should you choose, but that will depend on how many other characters you've got in your army

Any recommendations on how I should build any of these kits or equip them? I don't own a codex yet, and haven't really seen any good ogre kingdoms blogs (although I'm sure i'm missing them).
www.ogrestronghold.com

A dedicated Ogre kingdoms website.

Thoughts from the crowd?

-T
As for stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet.

-More leadbelchers. Been seeing quite a few shooty ogre lists and they've been doing quite well. They usually had 3 units of 6 to 8 of em backed up with a couple iron blasters, ironguts as core, along with characters and some cat redirectors. I've seen it outshoot a dwarf gunline and that's saying a lot.

-Wizards, you'll need some. Grab at least a lvl 4 slaughter master, as you need someone to help dispel pesky magic, especially certain thing ogres really hate, such the purple sun. I'd also get another lower lvl butcher so your big caster doesn't have to take lore of the great maw and can go with some fun things like lore of heavens for example.

-Hellheart. A magic item you'll want to have in any army. Stick it on a wizard and when enemy casters get close to you, use it at the start of their magic phase and watch them crap themselves, as EVERY SINGLE enemy mage within the effected range suffer a miscast without even rolling any dice. Effectively shuts down a single enemy magic phase and is devastating for a foe that has several wizards(undead of both kinds hate this thing). Give this to a cheap butcher and run him right into the middle of the enemy army and use it.

-Dispell scroll. Something no fantasy army should be without. Auto dispells a single spell cast without rolling any dice. Can't be used if someone miscasts though.

-Ward saves. For things like your general and bsb, giving them some kind of inv save is crucial to keeping them alive. You need both of them around so why not invest in a little bit of protection.

-Maneaters. Expensive, but in bigger games are fun and well worth it. Fighter much better than other ogres and can choose some cool special rules before the game to better handle the opposition. Give them sniper and poisoned attacks
and watch them snipe out enemy wizards to really make someone mad for example.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

Titomcd
Silver Vault Member

Post by Titomcd » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Guys!

Thank so much for the awesome and detailed feedback! I will post later on how it goes!