Picking an Army

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
theliege
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Picking an Army

Post by theliege » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:42 pm

I have been trying to talk my wife into Warhammer 40k for a while (unsuccessfully) however this weekend she popped into GW to pick up my new Necron codex and came out with a box of Wood Elf Glade Guards and told me I need to pick a fantasy army.

Having never really looked at fantasy I'm really not sure what to do, any recommendations? What is good fluff wise against the wood elves?

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Picking an Army

Post by Dez » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:01 pm

Want to make both of you happy? I have a suggestion!

Isle of Blood has a rulebook and 2 armies: High Elves and Skaven. With the new End Times book, High Elves and Wood Elves can be taken in the same army. Win!

That leaves you with the Skaven, one of the most fun (and deadly!) armies to play. Skaven has also received a bunch of new models lately, like the new Vermin Lord, Thanquol and Boneripper and the massively deadly Stormfiends.

So you'd both have great, playable starts to your army's and the rules. I love Skaven, they are my WFB army of choice. They have tons of choices to expand on, and are really fun (like the Fantasy equivalent of 40K Orks).

This also happens to be a very economical choice, which the missus will surely appreciate.

That's my $.02.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Zipding
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Location: Hovering behind your left shoulder, invisibly, of course

Post by Zipding » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:18 pm

It all depends on what play style you like and what army appeals to you, just like 40k.

I will go over the way armies play and fluff to the best of my abilities, I don't play all the armies, but I'll try to give the best advice I can.

Beastmen: The Children of Chaos, formally Beasts of Chaos. They are chaos mutated creatures similar to satyrs for their main units. They also have minotaurs and centaur-like models. They are mainly a combat army with half decent chariots, some ambushing units and Minotaurs. With an update from the End Times, they can now take Marks of Chaos (similar to icons for CSM in 40k). Unfortunately, they are severely underpowered in this edition.

Bretonnia: Cavalry. This army is based on Arthurian Legends set in Medieval France. Their main strength is their cavalry units, which have a unique formation to them. They don't really have much going for them, like the Beastmen, they're pretty underpowered in the current edition.

Daemons of Chaos: Pretty much the same fluff as 40k, same models across the board. Pretty decent and versatile in how you can make your army. You can even use the same models from 40k here.

Dark Elves: Fantasy equivalent to Dark Eldar fluff wise. Play style is much different. Where DEldar aims to never get in combat, Dark Eldar are pretty good, with Always Strike First and several other rules that help them out like Murderous Prowess.

Dwarfs: Technologically advanced stubborn people. Dwarfs play one of the best gunline armies with some of the best warmachines available. They also have some pretty good infantry, but with a slow speed, they're better for guarding your machines of war. They are the only army to have helicopters.

High Elves: Fantasy Equivalent to Eldar fluff wise. Filled with great combat units, some solid warmachines and monsters makes them a really good army that can counter many others. They're versatile and have access to a really good magic phase. Be careful though, they do tend to be fairly weak at only T3, but the enemy should be dead before that happens.

Lizadmen: Aztec Dinosaurs. They have access to the most monsters out of any other army (you can fit up to 10 in a 3000 point game) and an amazing wizard (The Slann are terrifying if built right). They have good combat units in Saurus Warriors and Temple Guard and some of the better shooting units in the entire game with Skink Skirmishers.

Ogre Kingdoms: An entire race whose only goals are to eat and pillage. They're one of the 2 neutral armies according to the rulebook. You will have fewer models in your entire army than others will have in a single unit, but that doesn't hold them back. Your regular infantry are all monstrous and have 3 wounds each. Surprisingly enough, their magic is also pretty solid.

Orcs & Goblins: One of the true "horde" armies in the setting. Cheap units (especially goblins) means that you're probably going to outnumber your opponent. Unfortunately, they have a rule that can bring them down called Animosity, which means that your death star unit could sit on their hands the turn you need them. Fluff wise they're pretty similar to 40k Orks, but not as random.

Skaven: The other true "horde" army. You will have so many models that you'll outnumber even an O&G player. They also have access to really cool warmachines and beasts like the Hell Pit Abomination, Warp Lightning Cannon and Doomwheel. They're entire culture is based off of backstabbing each other for personal gain and follow a Chaos God called The Horned Rat.

The Empire: The other main human faction (aside from Bretonnia). They're based off of Industrial Era Germany/Austria and are probably the most versatile army in the setting. They have access to mediocre infantry, great warmachines and cavalry and are the only army to have a tank. On top of being Industrial Germany, they're a heavily religious society with their Emperor being believed to be the embodiment of their founder and war god Sigmar.

Tomb Kings: Ancient Egyptian skeleton armies. They're main goal is to stop the rise of Nagash and to reclaim their former glory. As one of 2 undead armies, they have some neat rules, but can fall apart if your main caster happens to get hit with a cannonball. They can rank up chariots, which very few other armies can. It also helps that their chariots are among one of their better units in the list.

Vampire Counts: The other undead army. Based off of the vampires in popular culture (Nosferatu as Strigoi, Dracula as the von Carsteins, etc). Like the Tomb Kings, they have some really neat rules, but can fall apart if your General bites the dust and you have no backup. One of the few armies to still play Herohammer in 8th as the Vampire Lord can mulch units in combat by himself. They also have some of the best heavy cavalry in the system (Blood Knights)

Warriors of Chaos: CSM for Warhammer Fantasy, except Vikings. Some of the best Core infantry in the entire game with some really solid units all around. Absolutely no shooting though, so they're weak in that regard, but destroy in close combat and can destroy with good rolls in the magic phase.

Wood Elves: No real equivalent that I'm aware of in 40k. Elves that try to keep everyone out of their forest and use the Bretonnians to help with that. One of, if not the most, mobile armies in the game heavily based on shooting. I don't really know much else about them, unfortunately.

Island of Blood is still one of the best ways to go as you get roughly 1000 points for each army and a core rulebook.
Armies:
Lizardmen: 3200 points
Vampire Counts: 2500 points
Skaven: 2200 points

Amount painted by army:
Lizardmen: 97%
Vampire Counts: 92%
Skaven: 87%

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Hedonismbot » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:33 am

Zipding wrote:It all depends on what play style you like and what army appeals to you, just like 40k.

I will go over the way armies play and fluff to the best of my abilities, I don't play all the armies, but I'll try to give the best advice I can.

Beastmen: The Children of Chaos, formally Beasts of Chaos. They are chaos mutated creatures similar to satyrs for their main units. They also have minotaurs and centaur-like models. They are mainly a combat army with half decent chariots, some ambushing units and Minotaurs. With an update from the End Times, they can now take Marks of Chaos (similar to icons for CSM in 40k). Unfortunately, they are severely underpowered in this edition.
Couldn't agree more.
Bretonnia: Cavalry. This army is based on Arthurian Legends set in Medieval France. Their main strength is their cavalry units, which have a unique formation to them. They don't really have much going for them, like the Beastmen, they're pretty underpowered in the current edition.

Daemons of Chaos: Pretty much the same fluff as 40k, same models across the board. Pretty decent and versatile in how you can make your army. You can even use the same models from 40k here.

Dark Elves: Fantasy equivalent to Dark Eldar fluff wise. Play style is much different. Where DEldar aims to never get in combat, Dark Eldar are pretty good, with Always Strike First and several other rules that help them out like Murderous Prowess.
Not at all. De, like their fantasy counterpart have some very nasty cc units. All those incubi, grotesques, talos pain engines, reavers, beastpacks, etc would strongly disagree with you.
Dwarfs: Technologically advanced stubborn people. Dwarfs play one of the best gunline armies with some of the best warmachines available. They also have some pretty good infantry, but with a slow speed, they're better for guarding your machines of war. They are the only army to have helicopters.

High Elves: Fantasy Equivalent to Eldar fluff wise. Filled with great combat units, some solid warmachines and monsters makes them a really good army that can counter many others. They're versatile and have access to a really good magic phase. Be careful though, they do tend to be fairly weak at only T3, but the enemy should be dead before that happens.

Lizadmen: Aztec Dinosaurs. They have access to the most monsters out of any other army (you can fit up to 10 in a 3000 point game) and an amazing wizard (The Slann are terrifying if built right). They have good combat units in Saurus Warriors and Temple Guard and some of the better shooting units in the entire game with Skink Skirmishers.

Ogre Kingdoms: An entire race whose only goals are to eat and pillage. They're one of the 2 neutral armies according to the rulebook. You will have fewer models in your entire army than others will have in a single unit, but that doesn't hold them back. Your regular infantry are all monstrous and have 3 wounds each. Surprisingly enough, their magic is also pretty solid.

Orcs & Goblins: One of the true "horde" armies in the setting. Cheap units (especially goblins) means that you're probably going to outnumber your opponent. Unfortunately, they have a rule that can bring them down called Animosity, which means that your death star unit could sit on their hands the turn you need them. Fluff wise they're pretty similar to 40k Orks, but not as random.

Skaven: The other true "horde" army. You will have so many models that you'll outnumber even an O&G player. They also have access to really cool warmachines and beasts like the Hell Pit Abomination, Warp Lightning Cannon and Doomwheel. They're entire culture is based off of backstabbing each other for personal gain and follow a Chaos God called The Horned Rat.

The Empire: The other main human faction (aside from Bretonnia). They're based off of Industrial Era Germany/Austria and are probably the most versatile army in the setting. They have access to mediocre infantry, great warmachines and cavalry and are the only army to have a tank. On top of being Industrial Germany, they're a heavily religious society with their Emperor being believed to be the embodiment of their founder and war god Sigmar.

Tomb Kings: Ancient Egyptian skeleton armies. They're main goal is to stop the rise of Nagash and to reclaim their former glory. As one of 2 undead armies, they have some neat rules, but can fall apart if your main caster happens to get hit with a cannonball. They can rank up chariots, which very few other armies can. It also helps that their chariots are among one of their better units in the list.

Vampire Counts: The other undead army. Based off of the vampires in popular culture (Nosferatu as Strigoi, Dracula as the von Carsteins, etc). Like the Tomb Kings, they have some really neat rules, but can fall apart if your General bites the dust and you have no backup. One of the few armies to still play Herohammer in 8th as the Vampire Lord can mulch units in combat by himself. They also have some of the best heavy cavalry in the system (Blood Knights)

Warriors of Chaos: CSM for Warhammer Fantasy, except Vikings. Some of the best Core infantry in the entire game with some really solid units all around. Absolutely no shooting though, so they're weak in that regard, but destroy in close combat and can destroy with good rolls in the magic phase.

Wood Elves: No real equivalent that I'm aware of in 40k. Elves that try to keep everyone out of their forest and use the Bretonnians to help with that. One of, if not the most, mobile armies in the game heavily based on shooting. I don't really know much else about them, unfortunately.
Tau would be a close match as both play a shooting intensive/avoidance style list a lot of the time.
Island of Blood is still one of the best ways to go as you get roughly 1000 points for each army and a core rulebook.
Really good overview in general, for anyone getting into the game this is solid description.
theliege wrote:I have been trying to talk my wife into Warhammer 40k for a while (unsuccessfully) however this weekend she popped into GW to pick up my new Necron codex and came out with a box of Wood Elf Glade Guards and told me I need to pick a fantasy army.

Having never really looked at fantasy I'm really not sure what to do, any recommendations? What is good fluff wise against the wood elves?
Beastmen. Both factions hate each other with a passion. The wood Elves are trying to save the forests of the world and while the beastmen seek to corrupt and defile them. Pre end times, the beastmen were even starting to invade the Wood Elves homeland and would get exterminated wherever they were found.

Like Zipdig said, they're a bit on the weaker side right now, but the good part about this is you can all out and she'll still have a very good chance at demoing your guys. And minotaurs are cool.
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.