Grave guard

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Daddy-Pudding
Bronze Vault Member

Grave guard

Post by Daddy-Pudding » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:39 am

Hey guys, avid chaos player I'm super new to vampire counts, doing it for a tale of many gamers, and I'm unsure on grave guard.

I know I want to use them, the look pretty awesome, but I'm unsure on what to give them, at first I thought shields to keep them alive and for that armored sentinel look, but then I remember how much damage units like hammerers and iron-guts do even when they're striking last. Plus they can be resurrected so are great weapons the good option? I'm aware its more of a 'if you want a bunker or a killy unit' choice, but can the great weapons do both? Or is the str 4 killing blow enough to get me by AND makes a huge difference to their survivability?

Banner of barrows we be in either way.

halt92
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Grave guard

Post by halt92 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:11 am

Generally speaking the Great Weapons are the better choice here as Killing Blow is a very good rule to have however the added strength has a far greater range of unit types it can damage (pretty much all the monstrous unit types that are immune to KB). Having a higher strength also increases the kill rate against regular infantry as well because a stock -3 modifier to armor will likely kill most infantry anyway, and anything you would be relying on KB to harm can be wounded far easier and have an increased chance of killing (or wounding at least) a model on the regular hits as well.

Grave Guard have heavy armor stock (and large blocks generally) which is really fine for plodding their way towards combat as most massed shooting will probably be long range, potentially with soft or hard cover and S 3-4 so the few that fall can just be brought back as if nothing ever happened.

Black Knights (mounted Grave Guard) on the other hand should take shields and lances as bringing units of over ten is rare and they are probably going to be a bus for an important character and break any combat they slam into.

IPlayThisGame
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by IPlayThisGame » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:52 pm

Grave Guard are amazing with Great Weapons. I feel its a waste to give them Shields because their purpose is to be killy, and they kill far better with S6 than S4, especially since they aren't losing much when going from I2 to ASL.

If you want a defensive unit, Skeletons or Zombies are much better because you can get many more disposable (and revivable) Wounds for the same price, making them a far better bunker.

Trojan65
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Trojan65 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:57 pm

Gotta agree with other posters... Str6 grave gaurd... with the +1 to hit banner is awesome :D (if the banner still exists, I play them before their current book)

bernard02
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by bernard02 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:10 am

This is my very first time in the site, seems the topic you are talking about seems excited. Is it still available? How will I gonna play it?
I used to carry switchblades