Starting Tomb Kings as second army - Need some advice

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Starting Tomb Kings as second army - Need some advice

Post by Honourblade » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:26 pm

Hey MiniWarGamers, hope we all had a good New Years!

Okay as some of you know I am a heavy High Elf player, and I have decided to give them up, and go to Tomb Kings, mainly because I am sick of no one playing me anymore and I have always liked them, so I am going to build The Last Legion, a legion of Tomb Kings still loyal to Settra after Nagash killed him, and hence their main enemy will be Undead (I already have a cool model I am working on with my Tomb King beheading a Vampire Lord, haha!). So that is enough talk, on to the list!

Keep in mind this is just for 1000 Points, nothing bigger at this point, I want to always have a fully painted army, and i never want to put un-painted on the table, so yeah, starting small till I get the basics, though i do know Tomb Koings aren't super great till you get to the 2000 Points and more.

LORDS - 210 Points

Liche High Priest - Hierophant, Level 4, Lore of Nehekhara

Goes in the Tomb Guard, hopefully roll for 1, 2, 3, and 5, maybe trade out 5 for Signature, try and keep him center of the field so I can spam the Lore Attribute, and keep everyone alive and with a Ward save.

CORE - 285 Points

5x Chariots - 5Wx1D Formation, Standard Bearer

Straight up and into the big unit, or use it to Flank whatever the Tomb Guard or the Colossus, relaying on the Impact Hits to carry them through combat, reason for Bearer over Champion is for Blood or Glory missions.

SPECIAL - 327 Points

19x Tomb Guard - 7Wx3D Formation, Full Command, Banner of the Undying Legion, Halberds

Bunker and Anvil for the army, Banner will keep them alive, with all the spells I will have I should be able to bring them all back every time as long as 1 lives, Halberds to wound most things on 2+ and -2 to enemy Armour is always worth the extra points, a 5+ save wont exists against most of my local players, so no loss their.

RARE - 175

Necrolith Colossus - Additional hand Weapon

The big boy, charge something and hope for the Attacks to pile up and tear straight through, S and T of 6 should keep me alive and going, staying within 24" of the Hierophant will let me heal and get the buffs, and is easy to keep him able to counter charge what ever hits the Tomb Guard.
"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - We are the children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."

Current and only army: High Elves
- 6000 Points worth of models
- 2000 of 6000 Points painted
- 1850 of 4000 Points in progress

halt92
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Starting Tomb Kings as second army - Need some advice

Post by halt92 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:16 am

I suggest possibly waiting a bit there on starting a new army Honour. Rumors of the upcoming 9th edition are not looking to be kind. According to the rumors Fantasy is going to be rebooted basically and they are going to be making a lot of units and models un-usable.

I have put a stop on my plans for the moment to see how this turns out.

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:47 am

I am not upgrading to 9th at any rate, I have heard the rumours from some reliable sources, me and my local games group will be sticking to 8th edition, even out local GW store has promise to allow us to still use it, and will even run tournaments with 8th edition still,

You can't take a game that has followers and turn it into a different game and expect people to still follow it, they will loose more vets then they will gain in new kids, so yeah, I am sticking with 8th, and most people her in Australia are as well, there is a facebook page somewhere that has the poll things, it has like six thousand and something signatures already, so I dont care, just going keep on going with were it is at, Pre End Times
"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - We are the children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."

Current and only army: High Elves
- 6000 Points worth of models
- 2000 of 6000 Points painted
- 1850 of 4000 Points in progress

Tiberus
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Tiberus » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:08 pm

I really don't think they are going to get rid of everything, I just have a feeling it will be a new game all together, not effecting Fantasy. I do think we will get a new faction though.

Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:28 am

I am actually excited for 9th. To most of the community the whole fantasy system has become a little bit stagnant; once 9th drops I am looking at buying guarantee into the undead faction.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--