Rules Question! Initiative and Striking Back

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
AutarchRion
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Rules Question! Initiative and Striking Back

Post by AutarchRion » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:43 pm

Hello!
I've gotten back into fantasy again recently....and I need a rules clarification. In 6th edition, if a unit you were fighting has a higher initiative, the troops he killed could not strike back. Is this still the case in 8th edition?

Here is an example of what I am talking about in case there is any confusion:

High elves charge my orcs and on the first turn kill my entire front rank. Because they have higher initiative, I cannot make any strikes back.... and so I lose combat terribly and flee. They overrun me, and my entire orc unit get annihilated without causing a single wound. Is this how the game mechanic works? It has been very frustrating for me recently. Any help would be appreciated!

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Rules Question! Initiative and Striking Back

Post by Honourblade » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:42 pm

What? That makes no sense.. No.. Just no..

If he kills you whole first rank, then guys behind the first rank move in the fill the gap, it just means if you have unit say 5 wide 2 deep for 10 models, and your opponet has the same, you are orks and he is elves, elves go first and slaughter 4 orks, you remove casualties from the back on the unit, so the front rank is still there, so the entire first rank can attack normally, and then the guy in the second rank can attack, it is hard to explain over text, you really should ask a store runner or a proper player..

But no, your first 2 ranks can always attack, first 3 if your in horde and blah blah for spears and extra rules, you remove casulties from the rear (unless special circumstance but wait a bit till you worry about that) and yeah, good luck!
"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - We are the children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."

Current and only army: High Elves
- 6000 Points worth of models
- 2000 of 6000 Points painted
- 1850 of 4000 Points in progress

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: Rules Question! Initiative and Striking Back

Post by TigerDave » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:51 pm

Rion, the rule 'Step up' removes the old 'you can't strike back' situation. So, even though the front rank dies a horrible death, back ranks step up to take their place and swing back. Be warned, this has a big impact on the fast cav tricks you were used to pulling in the past.