Warhammer 9th Edition Rumors

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Warhammer 9th Edition Rumors

Post by TigerDave » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:39 pm

Brace for impact guys.

Obviously these are rumors. That means bring your salt shakers, and it also means that while there may well be truths in here, it's most likely not ALL the truths. The following rumors come from some of the most accurate and dependable acquirers of secret and arcane lore, with near (if not perfect) 100% accuracy. Again, that doesn't make these true, but I need to impress that these are not just random musings of peyote-addled madmen huddled in a cave somewhere.

You will not want to be too reactionary in your response, but I think it would be an injustice not to bring this up. It is quite literally the gaming version of Schrodinger's Cat. This could be the best thing to happen to WHFB, it could be the death knell. The one absolute we have at this point is we don't know which one it is until we open the box, and that doesn't happen for another six months.

The Warseer link is here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... -Different The link includes lots of information and discussion, and it also includes links to other sites with other information.

Tiberus
Now we're getting somewhere...

Re: Warhammer 9th Edition Rumors

Post by Tiberus » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Grain of salt indeed. I think this is too drastic even for GW. I do think that at the end of the "End Times" fluff that Sigmar will come and save the day with the Fantasy version of Space Marines and that will be the new faction for 9th. Undead Legions may become a thing again as well seeing as it kind of already is right now.

halt92
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by halt92 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:09 am

The rumors are supposed to be coming from multiple reliable sources. This is by no means an impossible change as you can still just play 8th (they stress this quite a few times) but the new "edition" is possibly just an alternate rule set for smaller games.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:32 am

Nice to see you back, TigerDave!

I'm...kinda excited about this new change. It's drastic...huge...and it's something we've been asking GW for. So what if realities are playing Bumper Cars :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:56 am

Whilst a skirmish mode will be nice for some smaller games, I'm worried that this will mean we don't get an updated version of normal rules for some time, when there are some problems with 8th (I'm thinking magic pools here) that I'd like to see fixed.

Nonetheless, welcome back HeroHammer, we've all missed you terribly
I can't think of a witty signature.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:27 pm

First off, it's really good to be back. I am sorry, but some times life throws you a curve that you are not ready for. In my case, it is three ruptured discs in my lower back and severely compressed discs in my neck. When you hurt all the time it's hard to paint (no feeling sad - it's just wear and tear, the old mule's been ridden hard and put away wet a few years too many is all) and have fun. I'm finally at a point where we're back to manageable levels again and "owww!" isn't the overriding thought of the day.

I'm with you Dez. I'm actually looking forward to it! I can start a new army at the drop of a pencil, and I am always up for something new. I already have EVERYTHING I need to play 8th Edition, and what I may want to expand armies with I can still buy or eBay for. The people I play 8th with now are not getting replaced by people who won't play 8th in the future, so I still have plenty of gaming buds, and that's not including everyone here.

I can only see this in the positives, even if it does kinda kick my dwarfs in the backside. I may never see new figures for them, but what I have now will definitely bring me years of enjoyment.

Really looking forward to seeing what this new set-up has to bring.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:23 pm

@TigerDave sucks about your back hon =/ my husband's been suffering with a ruptured disk for about a year now as well and just the one has limited his ability to do a ton of stuff. Really hoping you are able to get good doctoring and heal well!

I'm a little worried about new edition rules tbh mostly because I don't even have the last ones completely under my belt yet, lol I'm not sure I'm ready for new ones! I guess we'll see.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:50 pm

Hey Big G - thanks for the warm wishes!

One thing about the new rumors that keeps coming up is that the game is fully compatible backwards. It looks like there will be some tweeks (always are) but the gameplay is going to remain pretty solid. Basically, even if your army is one that will never see another addition to it, the forces remain compatible for as long as you like to play.

There's been some concern about the game going to round bases. I combine these rumors with things GW has said about bases in the past and what I think is going to be true, and I come up with this:

1) Play the bases you have. It is going to have minimal impact on the game.
What supports this for me is this: I've been playing Daemons of Chaos on round bases in Fantasy for over a year now and it has almost next to no impact on the game. Players will take note that 60mm rounds are much bigger, giving me a larger footprint than on 40mm squares, but if you think well and strong about this, I GIVE UP advantage rather than gain advantage from this. You have more frontage troops striking each figure, so the only real harm is to me, not to you.

2) Some new pictures of Necrons have dropped where they are adding block formations to the 40K game! That will be interesting, and I think is a precursor to us shifting to rounds.

3) GW has said "Play the bases you like" in regards to questions. They also made some cryptic comments about "What we know about base shapes now ..." so I think they're going to be coming to a single base style as well. The recent Deathstorm release has the Blood Angels on 32mm bases, and GW's stance is "because it looks good." I think they want us to have units take up a larger footprint on the battlefield along with the opportunity to have some interesting base decorations.

As always, take my opinions as nothing but ... I have NO inside links, no friends, no secret knowledge. I can't even get WD in my area until the week after it releases so I don't even get advanced notice of what's coming.

I do think there will be some huge changes, but I think we need to wait and see exactly how they affect the game. I remember when the current Daemons book came out - I was FURIOUS! Rawr! They ruined the army! This rule is crap! That rule is crap!! Boy - if anyone deserved a time out at that point it was me! After all that fussing and whining however, I found that gameplay remained largely the same, and in fact I rather enjoyed playing my forces! It took me, however, to actually have to force-feed myself a few games before I realized that the meal actually wasn't all that bad; in fact it was still rather tasty!

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:29 am

Thought I would add a note here:

As we progress, the rumors of the round based get more and more confirmed. This has been rumored by some very dependable people and all but confirmed by some with direct sources.

I still believe the concept is to promote scalability a la LOTR skirmish to ranked War of the Rings formations. I wouldn't be surprised to see some movement trays in our future.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:43 am

Whelp, I guess round bases are more pleasant to look at, but it does mean I need to find me some 180 odd bases for my empire army and re-base the lot of them, not looking forward to that.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:40 am

I don't think you NEED to rebase unless its an aesthetics issue for you. For example, the game has had skirmishers forever, and those are on squares. When you get into combat, you just collapse. So many rumors have been coming back with the "play what you WANT to play on" that I wouldn't get too concerned just yet.

I think it's a conversation that the guys have in a White Dwarf where they were talking about different bases and they made an odd comment about using larger bases for more mod/base art room and the comment about why it was okay to use the larger base was something along the lines of "What we know now about base sizes ..." I think I will do some magazine research to see if I can find that article again.

What does that mean? Well, a bazillion things, including 'Tiger's an old fart and can't remember the last time he breathed', which isn't too far from the truth. For some reason however that article struck a chord in me that has been vibrating ever since, and I think now it is starting to make real sense.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:25 am

Is it the same one with the Screaming Bell on a large oval?
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:42 am

No - it was before End Times. I will have to go back to issue #1 of the weekly and scan up.