New To Warhammer - Vampire Counts

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Tiberus
Now we're getting somewhere...

New To Warhammer - Vampire Counts

Post by Tiberus » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:51 pm

I am new, limited with money and I am looking for feedback for my 1500 points of Vampire Counts. My goal is to have fun, and hopefully not get roflstomped all the time. My army is based around Vampire Counts Battalion, so troop choices are obvious. Curious as to what you think, and what upgrades for Lords/Heroes you would take, or not take, etc.

Thanks!

Lord
Master Necromancer Level 4
- Lore of The Vampires
- Master of The Dead
- The General of Undeath
Magic Items
- Nightshroud
- Channeling Staff
- Talisman of Preservation

Heroes
Vampire Level 2
- Lore of Death
Magic Items
- Armour of Fortune

Konrad Von Cartein.
- Just Because I like him lol

Core
x20 Crypt Ghouls
x10 Dire Wolves
x20 Skeletons w/ full command

Special
Corpse Cart w/ Bale Fire
Corpse Cart w/ Unholy Lodestone
x10 Grave Guard w/ Great Weapons Full Command, Standard of Discipline. [planning on putting Konrad here]
Spirit Host

From what I gather, that should be 1500 points exact, Correct me if I am wrong though =D.

halt92
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: New To Warhammer - Vampire Counts

Post by halt92 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:12 am

Just a few things I would say.

Nightshroud on the Necro seems unneeded as you should have him in a bunker with a champion to eat challenges for you, since Invocation prioritizes the champion as one of the first models to be revived. With said trick only models in BtB with you can even attempt to strike you and with a 4+ ward and 3 wounds it would take very unlucky rolls or a Hero/Lord combat character to kill you, which you can avoid with smart movement and reforming to a corner before you charge an enemy.

The channeling staff could instead be the Black Periapt from the VC book if you are trying to increase your magic phase and decide to not take the Nightshroud.

More options are the bound spells we gain access to. Staff of Damnation is absurd when used on large ghoul bricks, Book of Arkhan guarantees extra movement and re rolls to hit, The Cursed Book is somewhat random but all of the spells are very good for the cost and finally the Rod of Flaming Death can control the enemies movement phase or deal a ton of damage to a unit.

Also I am not personally a fan of multiple Corpse Carts and would rather put more Grave Guard into the list. The Unholy Lodestone though is rather fun to have I admit.

Tiberus

Post by Tiberus » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:41 pm

Thank you for the reply, halt92.

With what you said, I retooled my list, added some things, and took out Konrad [as he sounds to be a very situational character, and I read 10 different ways on how he exactly works and it boggles me lol]

So on that note, this is what I changed it to after reading to what the items do from the items you provided.

Lord
- Lore of Vampires
- Master of The Dead
- General of Undeath
Magic Items
- Black Periapt
- Rod of Flaming Death [that crowd control... *drools*]

Hero
Vampire Level 2
- Lore of Death
Magic Items
- Armour of Fortune

Core
x20 Crypt Ghouls w/ Champion
x10 Dire Wolves
x30 Skeletons w/ full command

Special
x20 Grave Guard w/ Great Weapons, Full Command
x3 Vargheists w/ Champion

I think that's 1498 points.

I would assume to put my Necromancer with the Skeletons, and not to sure where to put my Hero, if anywhere.

halt92
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by halt92 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:49 pm

More things that should be thought about is how effective Death is on a hero level caster. Death magic is very good but requires multiple spells, close range (meaning you won't be doing anything for a few turns possibly), a high leadership and needs a high caster level to avoid it sucking up all your dice during the magic phase with little to no return.

In lower point games such as 1500 I would recommend Vampire as the lore of choice. Vampire obviously offers low cast values and large buffs to the army which are great for a low level caster hero. If taking this lore on the vamp this will also place more value on your corpse cart overall since the re-roll help guarantee a good amount of models come back.

Shadow can be a very large boon for your army as the Signature is reliable to cast and controls the enemy movement to a random degree, the Withering is amazing at keeping your walking bone piles (alive?) longer and the damage spells can be devastating. A good tactic that I don't see that often is charging a unit with the necromancers bunker then swapping a nearby Vampire into the combat and the necromancer out.

Death is a good lore on a Vampire Lord in a higher point game as his Ld is 10 and he is a level four making it easier to gain dice back to fuel the magic phase.

The hero Vamp can go into the Grave Guard unit to help prevent crumble just in case the General dies (more reason to have Vampire!) and he probably will with no ward save anymore.

Hope this helps.

Tiberus

Post by Tiberus » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:14 pm

Thank you so much for all your help, the lore makes a lot of sense after I looked more into it. Death is awesome but I need some serious firepower behind it to be effective.

Thanks again!

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Hedonismbot » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:55 pm

Tiberus wrote:Thank you for the reply, halt92.

With what you said, I retooled my list, added some things, and took out Konrad [as he sounds to be a very situational character, and I read 10 different ways on how he exactly works and it boggles me lol]

So on that note, this is what I changed it to after reading to what the items do from the items you provided.

Lord
- Lore of Vampires
- Master of The Dead
- General of Undeath
Magic Items
- Black Periapt
- Rod of Flaming Death [that crowd control... *drools*]

Hero
Vampire Level 2
- Lore of Death
Magic Items
- Armour of Fortune
That's all he has? I'd take a look at the vampire powers to give you an added boost as this is your only real hvy hitter. Red fury or quickblood are a safe bet.
Core
x20 Crypt Ghouls w/ Champion
It's ok for now, though I've always found that you really large units of ghouls for them to work, like 30+ of em.
x10 Dire Wolves
Split them into 2 units of 5. These dogs are meant to be a throwaway unit and redirectors.
x30 Skeletons w/ full command
I personally use skellies as my main core units too, but when I've taken a master necro as my general, I found zombies to be a better bunker for him to hide in. What I do is take a min unit of 20 zombies for him and quickly increase their number via invoke. You could then use the leftover points and bulk up the ghoul regiment until you reach the min core requirement. Of the first things I was taught when I started playing vamps is to NEVER, EVER go above 25% core for your force.

Atm you are nearly 100 pts above this.

Special
x20 Grave Guard w/ Great Weapons, Full Command
x3 Vargheists w/ Champion
They seem awfully out of place here. You have nothing in your army to keep up with them, plus they will have to be babysat by your general to stop them from making a bad charge if they fail their frenzy check.

What I would do right now is drop them for the moment until a larger points value list and bulk up the grave guard to 30 strong. If you can somehow manage it, give them banner of the barrows.

I think that's 1498 points.

I would assume to put my Necromancer with the Skeletons, and not to sure where to put my Hero, if anywhere.

Graveguard or ghouls are a safe bet, depending on what you're up against.
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

halt92
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by halt92 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:45 pm

You don't exactly need to have anyone babysit the Vargheists with a 20" march to get them positioned in a way that makes Frenzy a non factor to units you do not want to engage.

The Vampire, if it is primarily going to be used as a caster, doesn't really need any weapons or powers to dominate any Hero level equivalent other than Chaos.

Skeletons are still a better bunker for a Necromancer or Vamp because of the fact that the Zombies don't have a Chumpion to eat challenges, also Skeletons have saves and are more likely to kill so less crumble.

Zombies are really only worth holding off a combat for a turn or two or possibly being the fuel source for Death magic (casting Purple Sun through a zombie units can get you a LOT of dice back).

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Hedonismbot » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:11 pm

halt92 wrote:You don't exactly need to have anyone babysit the Vargheists with a 20" march to get them positioned in a way that makes Frenzy a non factor to units you do not want to engage.
This is assuming that there's nothing they can't charge already. Only ld 7 base and frenzy can have them wander off at the worst possible time more than one would like.
The Vampire, if it is primarily going to be used as a caster, doesn't really need any weapons or powers to dominate any Hero level equivalent other than Chaos.
Unless it's for shadow magic, it's much better to simply get a necro if a caster is needed. The superior stats of a vamp are needed to rack precious combat rez. Plenty of elf special units will dominate a regular vamp without any upgrades as well, as they all have asf and the vamp is still only t4 and 2 wounds. And this is without any characters being factored in from those races or others that are often geared out with some magic gear of their own. If one is going to better than the other guy may as well stack the odds in your favour as much as possible. Considering the rather crappy nature of many of the VC units they need all the help they can get.
Skeletons are still a better bunker for a Necromancer or Vamp because of the fact that the Zombies don't have a Chumpion to eat challenges, also Skeletons have saves and are more likely to kill so less crumble.
Not really. So what if someone challenges your necro and he gets sent to the back because you refuse, that's a good thing he's not in combat. Zombies, being so easy to raise can be made into a huge unit no prob which makes for a great bunker for a caster sitting behind the main combat blocks avoiding any trouble. Skellies, being tougher to raise(only 1 guy can do this and it's still not that impressive) are not the best case for this.

For putting a vamp in, totally skellies are perfect for the reasons you stated. Still can't kill enough to be worth noting Imo.

Zombies are really only worth holding off a combat for a turn or two or possibly being the fuel source for Death magic (casting Purple Sun through a zombie units can get you a LOT of dice back).
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.