Wanting to get back into fantasy.. But what army..?

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Merellin
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Wanting to get back into fantasy.. But what army..?

Post by Merellin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:03 pm

So, I'm wanting to get back into Fantasy and get it going in my gaming group again but I dont know what army I should go for.. I got some old Wood Elves and High Elves and 10 Dark Elf crossbowmen.. The High Elves are enough for a playable force but I dont know if I want to build up them.. I want a army that can be survivable, And killy, With strong killy lords/heroes and some ranged stuff.. Magic, I dont care for that much.. Might be fun to have a low level mage ocasionaly but it wont be a focus.. But yeah.. I just dont know what army to pick.. I'v been out of fantasy for so long that I dont remember much about how to play or what is good..

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Wanting to get back into fantasy.. But what army..?

Post by Dez » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Sounds like WoC to me.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Merellin
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Merellin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:42 pm

Is the second Endtimes book good for chaos? I mean, It lets you bring stuff from all three chaos armies right..? I'v been thinking about maybe getting the third book for a unified elf army.. If I decide to continue elves.. Warriors of Chaos dont have much ranged though do they..?

I'm kind of intrested in Dwarves and Lizardmen, With Wood elves, Dark elves and Warriors of Chaos behind them..

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:23 pm

Warriors of Chaos only have the Hellcannon for ranged support outside magic. As for the the chaos end times book, I think it's very oriented toward Nurgle if it's your thing, but I've never read it so I don't know. Warriors of Chaos seems to be a good choice for you as you want survivability and strike hard the enemy. Both Dark and High Elves are very strong in this edition, but their regular infantry isn't that much survivable. Their heroes and their elite units are extremely good however and very survivable. But they are also magic heavy, so maybe it's not the best choice for you if you don't want to build your list around your casters.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:38 pm

You do bring things from WoC, Daemons and Beastmen with the second book. I'm not sure if you want the Khaine book though if you already have the models.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Merellin
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Merellin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:41 pm

Actualy, Empire seems nice too.. And Beastmen have awesome models.. So lets throw that into the list too.. XD I'm intrested in Dwarves, Lizardmen, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Dark Elves, Wood Elves and Beastmen.. XD

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:33 pm

I will try to describe the armies your are interested in as shortly as possible, but it will be a wall of text so sorry in advance.

Dwarves are more or less the Fantasy's Tau, but with good close combat ability (with the exception of their initiative which is at orc level). They are very survivable, but also very slow and have very limited alternative gameplay possibilities beside shooting, shooting, shooting again and then charging what comes too close. They are warmachine heavy. Their magic is very limited, but they are good at dispelling enemy casters. I must also admit I hate their gameplay, but maybe it's your thing.

Empire has very nice miniatures, I agree with you. It's the kind of army that is better than the sum of its parts. Your infantry is generally cheap, but very average. You field them in big blocks and they absorb the enemy offensive. State troops can have small subordinated units attached to them to support the main unit and they receive bonuses from the mother unit. Empire has some awesome shooting abilities, particularly their cannons and Hellblaster cannons. Your best units also have access to full plate armor, which gives a base 4+ save compared to the 5+ of ordinary heavy armor and your knights have extremely good saves at 1+. The griffon knights are very strong too. You also have the warrior priests which give awesome abilities to the units they are in. Their most original weapon is the Steam Tanks. They are extremely hated as they have an insane suvivability and hit hard, but they are also instable and can explode if used carelessly.

Lizardmen are a kind of curious zoo. First, they have very strong close combat infantry, but also quite expensive and with horrible initiative : as low as 1 for sauruses. However, they are strength 4, toughness 4 and have additional attacks on 6 to hit. You have also access to skinks which are cheap, mobile arrassing skirmishers. However, the big thing for the Lizardmen are your numerous and powerful monstrous creatures and you have some of the best magicians of the game : the Slanns.

Warriors of Chaos are the elite of the elite of Fantasy. They have universally very high stats and are extremely durable with their chaos armor which gives a base save of 4+. They have exceptionally strong infantry and cavalry and have access to useful monsters. They are top heavy as they are built around very strong lords. Their magic is also powerful, but they aren't overly organised around it either. Their biggest problem is that they only have one true ranged option and that they are infantry heavy if you don't want to build a chariot list. It means they are slow, but once they reach the enemy, he will see his units melting away quickly. They are also very expensive so you won't have a lot of models, but they will hit hard and absorb a lot of damage. The big trap with them is to overequip them or surestimate their ability to deal with hordes of weak units.

Dark Elves are the evil version of the High Elves. They are an elite army, but less so than the WoC. Like other elves, they have the always strike first rule and count on this to win combats. They have some special rules that are neat like one that allows you to reroll your roll to wound of 1 by example. Unlike WoC, only their best units have access to heavy armor so their saves are low in comparison. They also often have a toughness of 3, but their elite units hit hard. A few of their units are frenzy and can drown people in attacks. They have strong cavalry in the shape of cold ones knights (knights on Deinonychus which is super cool), but they are stupid, so you have to put a character in them for having Ld 10. They have extremely good fast cavalry, particularly the Warlocks which have Ward saves and cast magic. They have some very good monsters and have awesome magic.

High Elves are relatively similar to their dark brothers, but maybe a bit more magical and a bit more infantry based. They have a nice selection of very good and durable elite infantry like the White Lions and Phoenix Lords, but also surprisingly killy infantry like the Swordmasters of Hoeth. They have some of the strongest mages in the game too.

Wood Elves are the most shooty elves and the lightest armored of all. Their spearmen are more elite than the previous two, but it's also their best armored unit which is pretty telling to how light they are as an army. Basically, you will be killing things by being mobile and having some of the best archers in game including some horse archers. You have access to interesting and powerful tree units, but be cautious about flaming attacks as they take double wounds against them. They have some strange close combat elves too. I don't completely understand how they work.

Finally Beastmen... To be honest, I've only heard about how much they suck ... It's a close combat army largely based on infantry and chariots. Their infantry is fast and they have a good access to monstrous infantry. They don,t have access to armor a lot, but they have minotaurs which gain attacks permanently as they kill things if I'm not wrong. Many of their units have frenzy and they can ambush people. They have some monsters that are very killy for their prices. Their chariots are good and quite cheap. The problem is that their shooting is almost nihil, they don't have warmachines neither and their magic isn't exceptionnal. There is a guide on the forum to make something useful about them, but beware that this army isn't an easy choice. Take it if you have a particular love of their models or fluff, but you will have hard battles ahead.

I hope this will help you to make your choice.

Merellin
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Merellin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks for all the info about the armies! I shall consider it long and hard ^_^

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Merellin wrote:Thanks for all the info about the armies! I shall consider it long and hard ^_^
The most important thing about choosing an army is that you really have the sense that this is THE ONE you want to play. You will have to put a lot of time, money and care in that army so you have to love it really. It's very important that you listen to your heart more than your head about this choice except if you are only interested at winning tournaments, but I didn't perceived that in you. I generally choose my army because of the look, then the gameplay and finally the fluff in that order. It's probably different for you, but the important thing is to listen to your feelings.

Merellin
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Merellin » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:10 am

Nah, I dont care about tournaments. I just wanna have fun with a army that I'l like ^_^ I dont realy care if I win or loose, Because I suck at the game and generaly always lose anyway.. XD

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:51 pm

Merellin wrote:Nah, I dont care about tournaments. I just wanna have fun with a army that I'l like ^_^ I dont realy care if I win or loose, Because I suck at the game and generaly always lose anyway.. XD
Haha, welcome to my world. ;)

Merellin
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Merellin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:41 pm

I'm considering going for Lizardmen. With a Lord on Carnosaur as my leader ^_^ Cus he's cool..

Hmm... Or maybe pick up my old Wood Elves again.. I do love their models and they where my first army ever in any miniatures wargame..

Or maybe do dwarves and try to do a infantry heavy non gunline army with few warmachines just to be diferent.. Dwarves look awesome.. Or Warriors of Chaos.. They have some cool stuff.. Ghaaa... So hard to chose..

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:28 am

Just do it all.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)