500pts Wood Elves advice

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

500pts Wood Elves advice

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:51 am

Sorry if it's starting to look like I'm spamming the fantasy forum.

If you've seen my previous post you'll know I'm about to start a 500pts Ogre Kingdoms army. At the same time my girlfriend wants to start an equally sized wood elves army. Neither of us are playing competitively, just with friends so no uber tactics needed.

I just wanted advice on what she should roughly build for 500pts as a beginner?

As always thanks for any help :)
Khorne Daemonkin mostly right now...ask again next week.

My WIP Thread: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 8&t=115134

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: 500pts Wood Elves advice

Post by Arnathos » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:07 am

Glade guard and a spell singer would be a start, Wildwood rangers would also be solid, but generally whatever she likes the look of.

I like glade riders as well, but they might be hard to use for a beginner.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:40 am

Good advice, I've pretty much said a lot of that to her already. Just make sure she has some glade guard and a spellsinger and anything else is up to her. She'l likely get some glade riders, she likes cavalry.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:38 pm

Spam the forum as you want, there isn't a lot of topic opened compared to 40k so Fantasy players are always excited to help a fellow player in need. :) Just a small advice, if you want to help a bit your girlfriend, if you have them, put a lot of forest terrain on her side of the board. The Wood Elves have some juicy bonuses when standing in forest including some tricks like coming from the reserves in forest terrain. Also, there are some good guides for all armies on http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer/Tactics even if there is a bit of swearing on those.
Last edited by Kovlovsky on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Corathan
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Corathan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Glade Guard x 10 W/ Trueflight
Deepwood Scouts x 5 W/ Trueflight
Deepwood Scouts x 5 W/ Hagbane

Hero of your choosing (I would favor a Captain with the Hail Of Doom Arrow)
Blood Angels: 2500
Traitor Guard/Daemons: 1850
Eldar: 4860
Black Templars: 2250
Wood Elves: 3750

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:54 pm

Once again are you sure you want to start so small? Even the old battalion comes out at 600-700 points with no character, cheaper starting points.. I always recommend a 1000 Points starting point, it helps you learn better, tactics come into play and let you actually have units that function as such, same advice to your OK army you wanna start.

And by all means post as much as possible, I do, even if it is something small, trying to keep it as active as possible :)
"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - We are the children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."

Current and only army: High Elves
- 6000 Points worth of models
- 2000 of 6000 Points painted
- 1850 of 4000 Points in progress

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:23 pm

To add on what Honourblade has said, you save some money by buying a bundle such as the battalion. Just check if it has the units that you plan to use, and if it does go for it and buy a character as a general. You will have a good starting point to build up around it while not bankrupting yourself. :) You can play pretty decent games by pitting battalions against each others in general.

Edit : Checking on the Games Workshop website, the current battalion may have changed to a kind of bundle with a lot of dryads and giant treemen. I'm not sure if it's still a good buy. My advice would be to go on your local miniature stores, see if they have a more balanced one for sales in stock. Because I'm not sure if this one is worth buying except if your girlfriend have the urge to build a fluffy trent army : http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Gua ... e-Deepwood .
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Corathan wrote:Glade Guard x 10 W/ Trueflight
Deepwood Scouts x 5 W/ Trueflight
Deepwood Scouts x 5 W/ Hagbane

Hero of your choosing (I would favor a Captain with the Hail Of Doom Arrow)

Thanks so much, I don't know much about wood elves but that looks good to me.
Haha, I feel like I'm becoming pretty reliant on you guys @Honourblade and @Kovlovsky. Yeah as you guys probably saw in the other thread I think I might have to step it up to somewhere between 750-1000pts in order to make it financially viable and fun to use. And thanks for the link, those guides seem pretty cool.

Yeah it's a nightmare that the old battalion is gone, that would have been perfect. I know she likes the Treemen but she wants the army for the elves not the ents so that new box it kinda useless.

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:16 pm

You should be able to build a good army for Wood Elves for under $300-$350 AUD, thats $190 odd Pound (Forgive me if im wrong).

2 Groups of Archers, 2 of Wildwood Rangers, group of Wild Riders, A spell caster, should be easy, once again, as your coming into easier point levels I can help you out if you want it, and yeah, it sucks they took it away :( but Elves are cheap so long as you know what you want
"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - We are the children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Well all I've told her so far is to start off with a Spellsinger and a ground of guardians/archers. Other than that she's open to any suggestions. I'd love to see a list of 750 or 1000pts that's fairly financially cheap.

Maybe I'll even be able to locate the old battalion somewhere.

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Easy done, here is what i would reckon would do well at 1000 Points, keep in mind this is gear towards killing your Ogres since i imagine you will be here main opponent, now i am better at Elves so i am sorry..

Lord

Spellweaver - Level 4, Lore of Life, Asrai Longbow

Core

20x Glade Guard - Trueflight Arrows

Special

7x Wild Riders - Full Command, Shields

21x Wildwood Rangers - Full Command

Try running this, ask a local store or player if she can borrow some models to test it out, this should hit your army hard (providing nothing you have works, you mess up magic and roll 4 1's on the Leadbelchers, haha!) will hit hard and will work against other armies, also fun to play as it gives her a taste of magic, ranged, fast cavalry, and hard hitters, list should run on the cheap side, and should have enough models left over to get her to 1500 with one more box of Glade Guard

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:50 pm

Solid advice as always. I'll check next time I'm in my local store to see if they have the models o test that out. Looks like a great starting force and yeah you're right, gives a small taste of everything.

Haha don't be too supportive to her otherwise I'll never win. Here's hoping for some good rolls with my leadbelchers :P

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:54 pm

on average you should roll 9, at max 18, that is going to remove a unit from her per turn if your lucky, haha! Best of luck mate, Elves are what I am good at though, you list will destroy her if you get combat and use those breath weapons at the right times, jsut if she does use it, focus your LeadBelchers on the Wild Riders, or they will mount you into the dust, the Lore of Life will give you trouble but that is there so her force doesnt fall to a stiff breeze (wait till you feel the pain of T7 Elves, haha! but yeah, you have almost equal amount of wounds each, and forces should equal out I am hopping..

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:02 pm

Lets hope so. I'll keep you updated when we get a chance to playtest these lists. and I'll come back very angry if I lose a lot :P Yeah my leadbelchers are OP as hell and I don't even care! A level 4 spellweaver does sound scary though.

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Haha! When you get too 2400 Try running 2 groups of 6 or even 8 (3Wx2D, 4Wx2D) and watch peoples faces when you get 40+ Shots from each unit per a turn, haha! But yeah, come back when you have a few play tests and let me know, I look forward to when you get higher up the points so i can really let the cheese factory start running, haha! Just have fun, and stay fluffy! :D