Ogres 500pts advice?

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Ogres 500pts advice?

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:21 pm

The Lore of the Maw is compulsory for at least one Slaughtermaster or Butcher in your army, which isn't a burden since it's an awesome lore, but it does mean that if you want to take Heavens or Death you'll have to start stacking up wizards unless you give your Tyrant a Wizarding Hat (which isn't recommended although it does make for some amusing results!)

Like the guys have said before me, a battalion and a Slaughtermaster will easily fit in 1000pts, and is a great core to your force. Moving on from that I'd recommend a second battalion, Mournfang, a BSB (convert your own, mine's a Tyrant kit holding a Mournfang banner, it's pretty rad), a Firebelly, probably an Ironblaster and whatever your heart's desire may be. Personally I never leave home without Maneaters and Golgfag Maneater, even though he dies a lot and usually isn't worth it, as long as you're enjoying yourself and carrying off fat booty, who cares right?

Edit: Here's the list I used when I started out with the Ogres, it usually gets the job done:

Lords:

Level 3 Slaughtermaster
Ironfist
Hellheart

Core:

6 Ogres
Full command
Ironfists

5 Ironguts
Full command except Bellower
Dragonhide Banner

Special:

4 Leadbelchers

992pts

Simple enough, put your Slaughtermaster in with the Ironguts, advance towards enemy shouting obscenities, blast away cavalry like chaff with Leadbelchers (fire and move baby woo!) and flatten the enemy infantry like a monster truck through an orphanage. Perfect Ogre field-trip.
I can't think of a witty signature.

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:35 pm

@ParanoidEngineer That seems like a crazy cool list, and so simple. I'll most likely end up fielding something along those lines.

And with regard with expanding to field what I want. Yeah here's hoping the next step is a Tyrant, another battalion, a group of Yhetees (proxying FW fleshwolves because they're far cooler models), som sabertooths and maybe a Stonehorn (just because I love the model). After that (and I'm talking a long time off now) maybe some mornfang and a Ironblaster.
Khorne Daemonkin mostly right now...ask again next week.

My WIP Thread: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 8&t=115134

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:56 pm

Haha! Your welcome mate!

And your not wasting my time, I will be in the ADF soon so getting fired from this job doesnt matter as much no more, haha! That and I always have time for Fantasy, its the 1 thing im actually good at, and dont worry, if I can make it fluffy then I wont do it, I mean, I do make some OP lists, but I try and stay fluffy (My high Elves bring 3 Dragons at 3000 Points :D so yeah). I will put them below as I work on them okay? I will type the them out, you tell me what you think yada yada, and I will tell you why I think that blah blah, and then after that you can take what you want from it, both lists will be roughly the same, based of the Battalion and 1 or 2 characters, here it goes:

List 1 - 1000 Points Ogre Kingdoms for BigAxeGod

Heroes

Firebelly - Level 2, Lore of Fire, Additional Hand Weapon, Gold Sigil Sword

This guy is amazing a small point games (1000 Points) as your primary, he is Lore of Fire which is great in a small army, especially if you roll for Blade, and he has a Breath Weapon which should generate a stack of Combat Res (providing you dont roll like a 1 and a 2..) Should hold his own in the ranks of the Ironguts, should be able to get them into combat easily enough, Sowrd is just for laughs, and nobody expects it.

Core

6x Ironguts - Full Command, Dragonhide Banner

This is your main unit, it will hit hard and it will hurt, it also adds a second Breath weapon too your army, which is going to be devastating, it also bestows Always Strikes Last on the target, which will help them against anyone that isnt Elves (haha!) but the they will kill what they hit, especially at this point level.

Special

4x Leadbelchers

These are amazing, and never leave home without them, these are your CTRL-ALT-DELETE unit, especially as there size increases, focus on enemy fast movers and if you get a clear shot at a lone character or mage, make them pay for it, at this points level doesnt need a bellower (you shouldnt be getting outflanked much in friendly games so the reform doesnt matter).

6x maneaters - Additional Hand Weapon, Full Command, Swiftstride, Poisoned Attacks

Temp proxy these as new to there job maneaters, 3x wide 2 deep, these hit hard and hit strong, poison will let them do a lot of damage, and your wounding on 2's as well, so should be able to eat most standard units on the charge, prey they fail there fear.

That is what I would say will give you a lot of fun, and will give you a lot of viable tactics, no point in running 2 groups of Core when all you needs is 250 Points, this list is built to focus on tactics rather then magic, as you generally have to pick one phase to be great in, master of one, jack of others, trust me, as an Elf player i learnt the hard way waht happens when you try and focus on phases you can be dominant in.

What do you think of that?

I am sure the other forum members will tear it apart soon as they can, but I built this to match my High Elves list and i think it would smash me into the ground if I didnt play smart enough, in a fun game though it would be funny watching all the fire I think.. Haha!
"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - We are the children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."

Current and only army: High Elves
- 6000 Points worth of models
- 2000 of 6000 Points painted
- 1850 of 4000 Points in progress

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:11 pm

Again thanks so much for taking the time to do this. Looks like a pretty cool list. Personally I prefer the butcher model to the firebelly but if you think he'll play better I'll trust you.

I've heard such good things about both the punching force of ironguts on the charge and the firepower of leadbelchers so they're basically a must.

And though I'm not mad on the idea of proxying standard ogres for Maneaters, if you think it works I'd be totally willing to try it. Though isn't that a lot of points to put into a unit at such a low level (i realise that's a problem that all ogre units have), it'll probably draw a hell of a lot of fire at it.

You're better informed than I am. So I'll totally take you word on it.

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:28 pm

I prefer the model too, but at this point level Gut magic wont give you a good run (needs to be on a level 4 in a brick (18 Horde formation) to be good) and the firebelly is more combat focused, which is what you need, as you will be outnumbered by everyone, his attacks and Breath Weapon will almost count as another 3-6 models in the unit.

Ironguts are my personally favorite of the 2, and Leadbelchers are the best unit in there book.

Not proxie per say, just say they a newbie maneaters, come up with some funny fluffy to make it make sense, remember, maneaters had to start somewhere) and normally yes, that is alot of points, but for 25 Poison Attacks hiting on 4's or 3's and wouldn't everything almost on 2's is going to make them worth it, considering they can roll 3 dice for charging and pick the highest 2 then yeah, they will do you great. Also you said friendly games, mainly with your girlfriend (teach me your ways!) so some proxying is all good, as it will tell you what you want to buy next and that kinda stuff, just dont use a sheet of A4 paper and say it is 18 Ironguts, or you will be killed, long as they look similar then proxying is fine, I let it happen sometimes, mainly when it is a nice conversion, but i don't mind too much in a friendly game, you are meant to have fun with these lists, if you want competitive let me know when you hit the 2400 scene and ill turn your list into a cheese factory, haha!

@ParanoidEngineer list is actually alright at this level as well, but like i said, Gut magic is better in bigger games, you will know what i mean when you get up to that stage, trust me
"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - We are the children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:35 pm

Well that sounds good to me then. Yeah I'm happy to proxy them until I can afford 6 real maneaters (also wow maneaters are expensive cash-wise). And yeah I'll happily field a firebelly if they have half the potential you say they do :) and all for a measly £85 (which I can probably get down to £70-75 if I use the right websites).

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Oh yeah, hence why i said proxy them, my advice would be if you end up liking them (most players do) buy an irongut kit, and 2 packs of greenstuff, and make them how you want! Maneaters are just normal ogres who.. Well.. They eat man.. So that is all ogres technically, so these guys can be made however you want, greenstuff chef hats on them, or even ask an empire player for bits and put the occassional body part strapped to them somewhere

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Yeah from the stuff that was mentioned about them when they were very first released they're also meant to be kinda mercenary/adventurers and so will have picked up some stuff from wherever they've been, so empire parts sound good. I'm rubbish at greenstuff but I'm sure by the time I stop proxying and actually get to buying the models I'll be a little braver with it. Also I figure they'd be more like standard ogres than iron guts as they don't use heavy armour.

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:00 pm

They do use Heavy Armour.. You can choose light or heavy, heavy is 24 Points to give it to 6 models I think, sorry, my OK is a little rusty is all, and yeah, when they first came out that was what they were built for, so yeah, ask some friends for bitz, pinch some of your girlfriend as a bit of an insult when you maneater with a wood elf necklace eats her wizard lord :P

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:05 pm

Oh yeah somehow totally missed that, but still the ones you reccomended don't have it so I'd probably be better off using standard ogres with a second hand weapon and some green stuff :) Haha yeah, that'll scare them!

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:11 pm

They do, I just forgot to write it down.. I feel like an amatuer now.. Sorry man, didnt mean to over look that, and nah man, use them as standard Ogres with Ironfists, it looks like a second hand weapon, and it lets you run them as Normal Bulls later on, unless you end up wanting to keep them as Maneaters, becasue you core at 2400 Points should be a unit 18 Ogres, either Standard or Irongut, I prefer Ironguts because you are already I2 so Always Strike Last isnt that bad, Your hitting at S6 With is great! And you dont need the Parry save the other Ogres get cause you should be running a level 4 gut magic by then and they have a spell that gives everyone in 12" a 4+ Regen, which is so much better, also the extra LD helps more then you know, especially while you dont have a BSB (which you should put on your 2buylist ASAP)

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:21 pm

OK note to self add BSB ASAP.

Ah ok, I'll be sure to use irongut conversions as proxys in the long term then. But for now I'll stick with using the bulls with ironfists for the maneaters if I choose to play that list.

Wow an 18-strong unit of any type of ogre sounds...terrifying. Can't wait until I get to that point.

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:30 pm

Man, you should see the lists I can make at the higher levels, haha! I play End Times at the moment, so my lists are built to be huge, I have a 5000 Point game coming up, which is me agaisnt 3 Undead Players and Nagash, I won our "defence game" last month, now this week it is a me retailiating against them, shall be mad fun! I have so many Dragons and Hordes and Bolt Throwers, haha!

But yeah, Ogres should have the GutStar as they are called, usally 15 Ironguts with Full Command, with Dragonhide banner, then you put a BSB with the Magic redirect banner in there, a Slaughter master, and a Tyrant, they are unstopable, and if they charge it is D3 impact hits at S7.. times that by 6.. So yeah, they slaughter things, haha!

I have been a dick once at a massive game an bought a 100 man horde formation of Swordmasters, with Full Command, 10 Princes with Great Weapons in the Front Rank, a BSB with Armour Peicing Banner, and the Flag of the Swordmasters was World Dragon (2+ Ward Save against anything with magic in its name) with a 3 Level 4 Life Mages, haha! It was a massive 15000 point game, Lord of the Rings style End Battle, was awesome, it was Elves Empire and Dwarfs vs Undead, suffice to say I think I endded the game with 1 model missing.. Haha!

Was purely a fun game we thought we'd try, was excelent with the beer and laughs!

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Well those are some crazy numbers! I bet the people you were playing against were very annoyed at you :P

I wish I'd had a decent army ready for this whole end times hype. I'll hopefully catch up with some of it soon. I love some of the crazy stuff thats come out of it and all the huge armies people are fielding.

Let me know how the 5000pts game goes.

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Yeah, they are a lil crazy :D and no not really, it was fluffy, cause we we battling for the White Tower :D

And you will man, best thing about it is you can play side by side with other good players, and sure thing! Have fun, stay fluffy, and keep gaming!

P.S. Dont kill me if your partner slaughters you, and dont tell her where to find me if you slaughter her, haha!