Ogres 500pts advice?

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: Ogres 500pts advice?

Post by TigerDave » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:02 am

Having been a long-time OK fan and player, Ogres don't really "come into their own" until at least 1500 pts. Anything below that and you are going to have a hard time.

Each general does what works for them. Now, I don't have the book here at the office with me right now, but chances are I would try to do something like this. Understand I don't have the points list so I can't tell you if this is legal:

Firebelly with Ruby Ring
Sabertusk
Sabertusk
3x Leadbelchers w/musician
Everything else into Ogres (select type based on meta)

Firebelly with Ruby Ring
I prefer a more offensive magic phase. Gut lore is okay, but it's better when you have more units and get those buffs in. If you take the signature spell, each turn you are threatening a double fireball punch with lore synergy. I seldom have an instance when at least one of them doesn't get through dispels. Also provides a round of anti-regen love in close combat with the fire breath.

One or two sabertusks is cheap, and I think a better choice than gnobbies. Gnobbies are good if you put trappers in the unit, but generally speaking I prefer to not depend on tactics that require my opponent to fail at something.

Musician in leadbelchers. I'm so adamant about this that I'd be prone to NOT take them if I couldn't add this in! Getting that potential free reform is very pivotal to your game. Those cav units that thought they were going to flank you? Free reform and fire. Want to watch that chariot over there that was trying to sneak up on you turn into splinters? Free reform and fire.

Ogres and kit? Depends on what you expect in your meta - are you going to want more attacks, a parry chance, or armor penetration? Ironguts is a good option a lot of the time because we're most likely going second anyways.

When you expand, your first options are to expand your bulls and add a BSB. Ogre leadership is okay, but ... moreso than cheap troops in high quantities, you cannot afford to have your high points units break and run. I would go immediately for the bruiser BSB and then more points into your ogres. Once you have two decent-sized units (Go six ogres in each block), then take a look at adding your cannon or scraplauncher, gnobbie trappers, etc.

Again, each general to their own, but this is how I would be making it.

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:01 pm

Again thanks for the help. Will probably stick with @HonourBlade's list for now as it only needs a battalion and a firebelly. But I do want to add sabertusks as soon as possible. Maybe I'll be able to run your list using my local gw's models.

Also yeah, I've heard from a few that a BSB is necessary so I'll get on the as soon as I can afford it. Might try converting a tyrant or even Bragg the gutsman for it.
Khorne Daemonkin mostly right now...ask again next week.

My WIP Thread: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 8&t=115134

ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Yeah, going for Honourblade's list will certainly be a lot more fun than mine, from what I've seen he's the master of wicked cool lists like this. I would just caution you that if you play against someone who isn't cool with proxying, you may come unstuck with his list since it does rely on them being cool with full to semi proxy Maneaters, and even with a good fluff backup for them, they may still call you out on it. Obviously you should respond by slapping them in the face and walking away, but if you get stuck with this I'd recommend picking up a Slaughtermaster ASAP, just to cover all the bases in case of powergaming irritation.

Happy trails friend, try not to eat too many of the Gnoblers, the bones are mighty sore if they get stuck!
I can't think of a witty signature.

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:22 pm

Yeah of course @ParanoidEngineer I really loved your list too and would probably use it as a back up should up come up against the sort of person who wouldn't let me proxy in my early days.

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:44 pm

I am a master hey @ParanoidEngineer? I like that :D haha! Thanks man!

And yes of course, they can say no proxy, but proxy was probably not the best word, I am assuming you are going to play a game or 2 before you have a full painted army, that is what i mean, play them stilll half assembled and see if you like them, and if you do then bam! buy or grab some bitz off your friends, and make them maneaters (or Elf eaters to insult your girl, haha! I didnt tell you that though).

But @ParanoidEngineer is right.. Slap them hard in the face! :D
"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - We are the children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."

Current and only army: High Elves
- 6000 Points worth of models
- 2000 of 6000 Points painted
- 1850 of 4000 Points in progress

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Honestly someone getting picky about a friendly game against someone who is starting and want to get an idea of how the army is fought, just deserved to be slapped not only by you, but by your girlfriend as well. :P
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:48 pm

And me, I will fly to the UK, jump out of the plan in a wing suit, and slap him as I fly into the store.. I will have to find a way to stop pretty fast though.. The guys head might explode before I explode on impact, so that would be worth it.. :D
"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - We are the children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."

Current and only army: High Elves
- 6000 Points worth of models
- 2000 of 6000 Points painted
- 1850 of 4000 Points in progress

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:13 pm

Seems however that my purchases will have to go on delay for at least a month as I just impulse bought the new Shield of Baal boxset for 40k :P

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:19 pm

BigAxeGod wrote:Seems however that my purchases will have to go on delay for at least a month as I just impulse bought the new Shield of Baal boxset for 40k :P
I can understand you. I did something similar by starting Orcs and Goblins in Fantasy and still buying the Vampire Counts book because the two armies interest me in an almost equal way.

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:16 am

Precisely. My troubles in the hobby in the past has always been my lack of discipline and my capacity to stick to just one army at a time. I see so many people build 5000 points of ther favourite armies. I always end up building 500-1000pts and then getting distracted by something new.

ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:35 am

Stop explaining my life that's exactly what I do ;_;

It's okay though, this time, definitely sticking with Eldar, no new armies, only Eldar, even if that Tau Empire book keeps flashing its thighs at me.

GL with your hobby struggles, if you can stick to Ogres you're a better man than me.
I can't think of a witty signature.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:33 am

It sort of depends on the army for e if I can stick with it. I love Empire and it has a ton of play styles, a ton of modelling options and let's face it, no other fantasy army has the same amount of flamboyant style and feathery hats!

I have the opposite problem of having to pick a bad guy army for fantasy, but none of them work for me, I like O&G stylisticly, but their models, especially the older ones just really put me off. None of the other fantasy armies even come close to having a 'collect me' feeling.

40k does get me into a bit of army ADHD, but it's pretty contained at the moment.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:59 am

Yeah I'll be honest I want pretty much every army in 40k (and even several versions of the same ones) but I struggle in fantasy. The miniatures aren't as frequently updated and while I kinda like O&G's and VC's I don't think I could handle having to paint a horde army. The only other ones that really do it for me are ogres and chaos.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Yea, not all O&G miniatures are particularly nice. I really dislike the Warboss plastic kit. Instead, I will convert my Black Orc Warboss from Boar Boyz and Black Orcs remaining bits. I will probably have to find some on Ebay.

However, I'm completely in love with Black Orcs, they are so cool looking with their black armor, their boar like helmets and their huge and varied weapons. Boyz and Savage boys are rather cool too. Goblins are meh, but they do the job. The Boar Boyz are also quite nice. I love the kit as they have dynamic positions and they are well made. In general, the rare slots generally have nice looking models too. The spiders riders and the big spiders are pretty cool too.

I'm relatively satisfied, but I think they could do a good amount of rework on some models. I will also get this Forgeworld kit soon as it will give me a nice looking BSB and a nice foot warboss http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/O ... D_SET.html. I'm thinking about replacing the head of the BSB by a black orc head as I don't like the FW helmet that much.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by TigerDave » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:56 pm

Honourblade wrote: 4x Leadbelchers
These are amazing, and never leave home without them, these are your CTRL-ALT-DELETE unit, especially as there size increases, focus on enemy fast movers and if you get a clear shot at a lone character or mage, make them pay for it, at this points level doesnt need a bellower (you shouldnt be getting outflanked much in friendly games so the reform doesnt matter).
Good solid list and I agree with almost all of it. The only comment I don't is no bellower in the LBs.

There are two factors that come into play here; your opponent, and you.

When conducting Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield/Battlespace*, you will want to analyze potential enemy courses of action each turn. Consider what the enemy could do, and also consider what would be most dangerous for the enemy to do to you. Even in the <kick-bite-eye gouge> friendly games (which is all I play).

Secondly, your own actions can cause problems. Lines of site always look so clear when you're making that start-of-turn plan, but you will be amazed how fast a unit of fat butts is going to muck up clear LOS. A more manueverable force is going to become more savory as the game goes on.

*Yeah - I went there. Sorry. Combat is not just my hobby, it's my job too. x_X

**Did someone say "New army?" I've never played Skaven in my life, but dagnabbit I have a pretty big force starti.... wait. ET: Khaine? Elves?? Sweet!! I wann... Man, I really need to get back to my dwar...Hobbit BSG? I can do dwarfs there too? Sco... Oh look, My siggie reminds me I was supposed to be doing Orks!!