Ogres 500pts advice?

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Ogres 500pts advice?

Post by BigAxeGod » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:19 pm

So I'm starting out fantasy for the first time and want to start small. I think there's a certain art to concise point spending.

So my question is. What would be a good 500pts Ogre army for a beginner? baring in mind I wont be playing competitively, just with friends.

As always, thanks for any help.
Khorne Daemonkin mostly right now...ask again next week.

My WIP Thread: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 8&t=115134

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Ogres 500pts advice?

Post by Honourblade » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Wow.. 500 Points? With Ogres? Thats tiny.. It is possible.. But you will not do well.. as you need 3 units and a hero or lord.. So wow..

I have no idea at this point level but try this, im sure others on the forum will tear it apart but i think it would be a tough opponent againtst my 500 Point Evles..

Heroes - 144 Points

Butcher - Great Weapon, Lore of the Great Maw, Wizard Level 2

Core - 227 Points

10x Gnoblars

6x Ogres, Champion, Iron Fists

Special - 129 Points

3x Leadbelchers
"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - We are the children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."

Current and only army: High Elves
- 6000 Points worth of models
- 2000 of 6000 Points painted
- 1850 of 4000 Points in progress

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:20 pm

See you can field standard Ogres in units as small as 3 so I think I could chuck the gnoblars, divide the bulls into 2 groups of 3 and then maybe add another to the leadbelchers. Would that work?

Also if I'm getting really desperate for points couldn't I drop the Butcher to level 1 as there's not gonna be that much magic used against me in a 500pts-level game anyway?

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:24 pm

I have a Level 2 at all Point levels, Level 4 at 1000 Points plus, that could work, most people I play against run the Ogres and bricks so I assumed there was a plus to it, but 2 groups of 3 would let you hurt 2 units, so that is good, adn 4 wide LeadBelchers are amazing! Yeah gie that a try, try and use a stores army (ask the worker) and test it out, or proxy it at home for a friend so you dont bleed money trying to test this, my expertise is at higher point levels so sorry if this isnt much help, generally though you always want Leadbelchers, and in bigger games you want a horde of Ogres normally, I have made some pretty devestating ogre armies before, they are such a fun army to play both against and with at higher levels
"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - We are the children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Good advice, I'll see if I can use my local stores models first before I invest in the battalion.

I guess I will stick with the level 2 then, to be on the safe side.

I think that formation should work and fit within the given rules. Though my girlfriend is about to pick up a wood elves army, so I can see my ogres being super susceptible to flanking, skirmishing units and superior ranged units :P I'm sure I'll find a way to beat them though.

m14
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by m14 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:36 pm

It's only 2 units plus hero. Oh and I'd suggest at least 1000pts.

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:41 pm

It is 3, plus a Hero @m14, only rarely do some lower range point tournaments allow 2 plus hero, check your Rulebook mate.

However, he is right about the points, if a battalion is your first purchase you should be able to get 1000 Points, that is when fantasy becomes a proper game, It is funner and more tactical

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Yea, I just stepped in Fantasy like you and quickly realised that it is played at a much higher point level than 40k. It takes time to get used too. I'ze be da new Boyz in da mob! Dere'z much fan to be made smashin' humies skullz and da stunty gitz! (playing Orc and Goblins here) :) .
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:46 am

@Honourblade and @Kovlovsky I get what you mean but I just think that it's gonna be a big enough start-up expense to buy a rulebook, ogre kingdoms book, battalion, butcher and paints. And they'll only total to about 850-900pts. So I'd rather keep the expenses down and start with super low level games to begin with. That way, when I am ready for it, it should be relatively easy to knock it up to 1000 or even 1500 at a later point.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:10 pm

BigAxeGod wrote:@Honourblade and @Kovlovsky I get what you mean but I just think that it's gonna be a big enough start-up expense to buy a rulebook, ogre kingdoms book, battalion, butcher and paints. And they'll only total to about 850-900pts. So I'd rather keep the expenses down and start with super low level games to begin with. That way, when I am ready for it, it should be relatively easy to knock it up to 1000 or even 1500 at a later point.
Yes, it's better to start small. The only thing I wanted to say is that small in 40k and small in Warhammer isn't the same. When you start gearing up your guys, the point level goes up really fast even if the number of models is still relatively low. By example, a Black Orc Warboss is 160 points without any upgrades while a naked Chaos Space Marine Lord is 65 points. That's what I meant.

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:54 pm

And to add onto what @Kovlovsky has said, and what you said, you dont want to waste money, if your going to build a list for 500 Points, your going to have things your wont use in 1000 Points and Visa Versa, if you wanna save in the long run, just go with a 2400 Point list, so build it to what you want, ask advice whatever, and then each point category you increase unit sizes and add wargear and new units, but you never "lose" unts, it helps save in the long run, a lot, trust me, I play Elves, and buy the little rule book of the internet for like $30 AUD.. so thats like $10 Pound or something, because you wont get into the game at that point level, even the demo games they give you in the store is at 1000 Points, you cant learn Fantasy from a 500 Point game, and it isnt the way it was meant to be played, playing 500 Points in this is the same as playing say 200 Points in 40K, the average in store game will run at 2000 and all tournaments are 2400-2500, plus if you already buying the battalion and one character you have a 1000 Points right there.. you could even push it to 1200 which i have seen some local stores run in tournaments, up to you in the end

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:52 pm

@Kovlovsky and @Honourblade ok I'm convinced. 500pts is probably too little. I'm still most likely going to start with the battalion and a Butcher (mostly because I like the model more than the tyrant one, plus it's always good to have a little magic). So that should get me to just under 1000pts. You guys still think thats a good choice for a start? Financially it's much more manageable than building an army from the ground up with lots of individual unit boxes.

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:59 pm

Yeah, it is much more manageable, and buy a slaughter master, i think they are worth the same price wise, and it lets you upgrade at larger point levels without proxying (heavily shunned upon in Fantasy).

And you need to have magic with Ogres, you have to have someone with Gut magic, which is a great lore! That will give you a decent starting army and give you a chance to work on all the rules and tactics, do you want me to smash out a list for 1000 Points as a guide? I am better with lists as they get bigger, however I am not 100% if you must have a Gut magic caster, or if you have a caster who may choose lore of Great Maw then you must have it on atleast one caster, so I will make 2 that will both run well, if you want of course?

And yes, great start! As you will most like end up using all the models in there (some people only use Ironguts, some only use Bulls thoguh, so you will have a chance to test them both)

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:59 pm

Yes it's a very good start. The Ogre battalion is very nice because, in it, there are only units that will be used by all players. The regular ogres are very good for their prices, Ironguts hit hard and have good armor, while Leadbelchers are fantastic shooters. It's a really good buy, and you should try to always have casters in all your armies. I didn't have this luck with my Orcs and Goblins battalion as it had a lot of units, I'm either not gonna use or will not use anytime soon.

Magic is very powerful in Fantasy and while can play without it, it's unwise to do so. A butcher will allow you to have a decent caster without putting too many points in him. When your army will get bigger, you will eventually want to have Slaughter Master lvl 4, but for now, a level 2 caster will get you an idea of how magic is done and he will be able to buff your guys.

BigAxeGod
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by BigAxeGod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:17 pm

@Kovlovsky and @Honourblade thanks for the help and support. And in both cases yeah I'll probably just use the level 2 in small games and then knock it up to level 4 once I can put a few more models on the table.
Honourblade wrote:do you want me to smash out a list for 1000 Points as a guide?... so I will make 2 that will both run well, if you want of course?
I mean I don't want to waste your time but yeah of course, if you have a spare minute I'd love to see what you can put together for 1000pts using the butcher/slaughter master and a battalion plus maybe the odd model on the side.

Remember I wont be playing competitively so don't worry about making it the perfect army for winning, just one that's fun for beginners :)