Skaven Models for the upcoming WFB Tournament

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Skaven Models for the upcoming WFB Tournament

Post by Dez » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Here is the list I am working towards for a tournament on November 22. Red is unbuilt, blue is WIP and Green is finished. I care more about winning best painted than anything else, but I'm open to minor list changes. For example, my army is Eshin themed which is why I have so many Gutter Runners (plus they are ridiculous death machines). However, I am considering dropping the Assassin to pick up the Razor Standard on the Stormvermin and perhaps shields. I would also consider adding a Warlock Engineer with Skavenbrew to them. They will be pushing the Bell.

Grey Seer 465
-Fencers Blades

Assassin 170
-PoS
-Weeping Blades

Chieftain 122
-BSB
-Stormbanner
-Shield

Warlock Engineer 45
-Doomrocket

Clanrats x20
-Musician

Skavenslaves x40
-Musician

Skavenslaves x40
-Musician

Skavenslaves x40
-Musician

Stormvermin x40 305
-Full Command
-Push Bell

Gutter Runners x9 162
-Slings
-Poison

Gutter Runners x9 162
-Slings
-Poison

Gutter Runners x9 162
-Slings
-Poison

Doomwheel

HPA

Warplightning Cannon

Warplightning Cannon

Not in quite as bad of shape as I thought, but I only have about a month to finish everything.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Skaven Models for the upcoming WFB Tournament

Post by Dez » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:36 am

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I needed to put my nose to the grindstone to finish my army in time for the tournament on November 22nd. I ended up coming in second, and also won best painted so it was worth it :) I'll update with some full army pics later.

My list, for those interested, was not typical.

Grey Seer on Screaming Bell
-Fencers Blades
-Ironcurse

Chieftan
-BSB: Stormbanner
-Shield

Warlock
-Doomrocket

Clanrats x20
-Full Command
-Shields
-Plaguewind Mortar

Stormvermin x40
-Full Command
-Shields
-Razor Standard

Skavenslaves x40
-Musician

Giant Rats x5

Gutter Runners x9
-Slings
-Poison

Rat Ogres x6
-Squeel Gnawtooth

HPA

HPA

Doomwheel

I know it wasn't a lot of rats on the board, but I guess I did just fine. Surprisingly, I found Squeel and the Rat Ogres to be worth every point. I had only put them in because they were converted and painted. It was really nice having the Bell with the Stormvermin, people either ignored them or focused on them, really no in between. They were able to take a beating, and dish it out too. Missions were objective based, and not only were they able to hold them but the footprint was nice to push other units out of 3/6 inches. I didn't find I rolled much worthwhile on the Bell, but taking all Plague spells on the GS worked great to buff/debuff.

Gutter Runners, my Vermin Lord did I love them. Ran all over the board, causing hijinx and panic. Left a Terrorgeist with 1 wound left on the first turn (last game).

HPA's were HPA's. While I don't feel they did tons of damage, they sure were resilient and tied up other units. Surprisingly my Doomwheel did a lot of heavy lifting the first game, in games after that it was mostly attention bait.

I had a great time, I can't wait to play again.

Honourblade
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Honourblade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:56 pm

I actually like it, it is fluffy so it gets my "fluffy seal of approval" and I think that would be so fun to play against, not strictly competitive but i can see it running well against some armies, but it is fluffy so that is all that matters! :) Cant wait to see the pictures!
"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - We are the children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."

Current and only army: High Elves
- 6000 Points worth of models
- 2000 of 6000 Points painted
- 1850 of 4000 Points in progress

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Todda » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Sorry to say, but as a long standing Skaven player (21 years) that is a horrible Skaven army. The good thing is if you know how to play Skaven you can generally do pretty good with just about any army. But with 2500 points you could have done much better.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

Dez

Post by Dez » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:24 pm

Well I went with what I had painted.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:03 am

Todda wrote:Sorry to say, but as a long standing Skaven player (21 years) that is a horrible Skaven army. The good thing is if you know how to play Skaven you can generally do pretty good with just about any army. But with 2500 points you could have done much better.
If you're going to put someone's list down like that, you should probably take the time to actually point out *why* you think it's horrible, or what could be done better. Constructive Criticism is encouraged; Destructive Criticism is not.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.