Warriors of Chaos pure Khorne list

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Warriors of Chaos pure Khorne list

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:56 pm

So I'm thinking of trying something more meaty than my current armies, so I decided to give Chaos a go. Given that the only god worthy of worship is Khorne, and therefore I lose all access to magic (but hey, you don't play Chaos for the Light magic), this list is going to be light on mages. It's also based on the battalion as well as some other awesome stuff, so it's not very competitive but hopefully it'll do the job.

Lords

Chaos Lord
Mark of Khorne
Juggernaut of Khorne
Charmed Shield
Hellfire Sword
Soul Feeder
Other Trickster’s Shard 370pts

Core

12 Chaos Warriors
Mark of Khorne
Halberds
Shields
Full Command
Banner of Swiftness 285pts

20 Chaos Marauders
Mark of Khorne
Flails
Full Command 230pts

7 Chaos Warhounds
Vanguard 64pts

Special

5 Chaos Knights
Mark of Khorne
Enscrolled weapons
Full Command
Banner of Eternal Flame 260pts

Rare

3 Skullcrushers
Enscrolled weapons
Full Command
Banner of Rage 289pts

1498pts

There we go, basically the Skullcrushers and Lord will stamp all over anything that gets in their way, the Knights will either help the 'crushers or deal with monsters (hence the banner), whilst the infantry marches down the centre of the board and hopefully hold their own in combat/die heroically (Warriors and Marauders respectively). The Warhounds are there because hey, dogs are cool right?

Any comment or critique is welcomed, thanks for your time!
I can't think of a witty signature.

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Warriors of Chaos pure Khorne list

Post by Todda » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:48 pm

First off... Why add the banner to the knights to give them flaming attacks when they are already magical. I find +1 movement much more important.

Second... I do not like the Marauders on foot anymore. They are too expensive. You are better off with a second unit of Warriors.

Third I always give the Warriors with Mark of Khorne extra hand weapons... especially when you are using small blocks of 12.

Forth... I find Skullcrushers to be pretty much the same as Chaos knights for damage and toughness vs points. I would rather take a pair of Gorebeast Chariots with Mark of Khorne instead. Then you can put the general in with the knights and save a bunch of points.

Fifth... hai putting that many points into a character. Usually the magic items are just too expensive for what they do. You could take an Exalted Hero with a Flail and shield. That gives you 4 extra attacks at S7 and 2 more wounds... and if you really wanted you could give him a steed too and have a really nasty unit of Knights... and you can make him a Battle Standard Bearer too.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

francisco
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by francisco » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:12 pm

well he could give the character great weapon and helm of many eyes, he will roll for stupidity yea but hitting S7 at his normal I can mean alot...

If cause hes ment for a juggernauth and mash on horde(thats what they do normally), well scaled skin, gliterring scales, fencer blades(optional) and Strength potion.
Instead of fencer blades you could use crown of command and send him alone into an horde, even knowing you gonna lose combat by resolution you can still kill alot and test on your normal Ld value..
Why S pot? well in case a powerfull character show up... splat him into mud with S8 hits :P

Although i find it very very important an exalted champion with Bsb,, like vital really... those Ld re.rolls around 12" are 2 important to ignore...
[youtube]gTWo9oLJOWk[/youtube]

ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:12 am

Thanks for the advice guys, obviously this army isn't the greatest but like I said it's based on the battalion and some other stuff I fancied, and since Skullcrushers are the Khorne unit in the book I thought I'd pick them up.

I'll probably pick up a BSB soon or maybe just an Exalted Hero but I just wanted to get a feel for WoC and since Chaos Lords are incredibly powerful in combat I wanted to maximise on that. When I get around to starting this army I'll take your advice into account and work out how to make it the best Khorne army in town

Thanks!
I can't think of a witty signature.

francisco
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by francisco » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:05 am

want 1500pts WoC khorne list?

Lord

Chaos Lord
- mark of khorne
- sword of striking
- crown of command
- talisman of preservation
- enchanted shield
- colar of khorne

This is your warrior horde supporter, hes a nice steady leader with 2+/4+ save
and grants your unit stubborn and magic resist(3), you dont necessarly need to win combat as
the resolution will only test to your normal ld value. also the sword of striking provides that
much needed to hit roll for example to fight other WoC with nurgle mark.

Heroes

Exalted hero
- mark of khorne
- juggernauth of khorne
- gliterring scales
- great weapon
- scalled skin
- shield
- dawnstone
- bsb

a guy with 2+ re-roll save, bsb attacks at S7 and enemies suffer -1 to hit roll..he goes with juggernauths

CORE

5 Chaos warhounds
5 chaos warhounds
5 chaos warhounds
5 chaos warhounds

4 units of redirectors, very usefull(the 2 extras just to build up untis to block enemy since your army is small in numbers
having plenty redirectors and pesk units might be very usefull...

20 warriors of Chaos
- mark of khorne
- shields
- halberds
- full command
- razor standart

the chaos lord big block of badass guys, nasty S5 attacks with 3+ armour vs shooting(-3 armour save penalty when they hit)
I didnt gave banner of rage cause I doubt you´ll lose frenzy, cause you tes tto yoour normal ld(of 9 of the lord unmodified)
and in case you need you got a bsb nearby for re-roll...

Rare

3 Skullcrushers
- musician
- champion
- ensorcelled weapons

the Bsb bodyguard, tough hard as nails and extremely killy
[youtube]gTWo9oLJOWk[/youtube]

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Todda » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:31 am

You know me...

Take:
Exalted Hero with Mark of Khorne, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, and other Trickster's Shard on a Gorebeast Chariot with Mark of Khorne
6 Chariots with Mark of Khorne
3 Gorebeast Chariots

It only comes to 1450, but who cares. Most people do not realize that even without the march move chariots can turn at will making them much more maneuverable and they have a great charge distance.

But you compare say that unit of 12 Warriors with Halberds, full command, and Mark of Khorne to 2 Gorebeast Chariots (which actually cost 5 points less). Think the longer charge range, Swiftstride and better maneuverability means you are likely going to be the one charging... and likely by your second turn. That is 2D6+2 S5 Killing Blow hits. Then you get 12 attacks at WS5 S5 I5 and 6 attacks WS4 S5 I2. The Chaos Warriors are only getting 25 attacks WS5 S5 I5, but remember impact hits go first. So with the average of 9 Impact hits I am already 8 hits up on your unit at the same strength and likely more will hit as the impact hits are hits not attacks. The chariots also have a T6, 3+ armor save and W5 each... So you have 2 more wounds for the whole unit, but 2 lower toughness and one lower armor save. It is not even close. They made these chariots nasty. Yes most units are Steadfast against them, but the damage they cause they tend to destroy units... and with 10 Chariots you can dump 2-3 chariots intro a unit easy and wipe it out. Also no champions, so no challenges to worry about.

If you actually use the math hammer and took those chariots against those warriors it would be messy. 9 Hits and S5 is 1.5 dead from killing blow and 6 armor saves at 6, so 5 more dead... just from the impact hits. The rest go at the same time, so you have (5.5) 6 left, you have 18 attacks, 9 hits 3 wounds 2 make it past their armor, so say one wound on each chariot. Now the 12 Charioteer attacks, 6 hits, 4 wounds, 3.33 dead. Then the Gorebeasts get 6 attacks, 3 hits, 2 wounds 1.67 dead. So I have a charge, 11-12 wounds (6.5+3.33+1.67=11.5), and you have a banner and 1 wound. So assuming you have one Warrior left... you are no longer Steadfast or Frenzied and you need double 1s to stand... and they have Swiftstride so they likely run you down (or overrun you). So as you see 12 Warriors are no match for 2 Gorebeast Chariots.

Plus against archers and such that T6, 3+ armor save, and W5 (T5, 3+ save, and W4 for a regular chariot) it is rare you will take wounds from any archers. Even Bolt Throwers typically bounce off. Most regular spells do not hurt them, most templates only hit one chariot and cause 1 wound. They are hard to stop and hit like a ton of bricks.

Then you got the Hero... yes just a Hero... WS7 S7 I6 5A 1+ re-rollable armor save and the enemy re-rolls successful ward saves (they likely will not have much of an armor save with a -4... and the Gorebeast Chariot with Mark of Khorne... which all get to fight in a challenge (but the impact hits go to the unit). Really you could drop the magic items and take another chariot.

Yes gun lines and Heavy magic (particularly lore of Metal) are pretty hard on this army, but you will find that even if they destroy 4 chariots the first two turns you are going to still win. Also the Ld8 for the general is not the best, but with everything being Frenzied... who cares.

Now you might say this is an expensive army to make, but they have a lot of extra bits in those chariot boxes and with a bit of cheap balsa wood strips, paper, and glue you can buy 6 chariots and make 6 Gorebeast and 6 regular chariots... then buy a box of Warriors and chop up their weapons so one has a whip and the other has a halberd and a Sorcerer Lord model. Then you can make a Lord/Hero, a Hero BSB, and a Sorcerer Lord (unmarked, but still on a Khorne Chariot). This would let you stretch to about 2250 points (Sorcerer Lord loaded up and bare Hero and BSB on Gorebeast chariots). Retail for this is around $300 and if you look around you might get them for closer to $250, which is ridiculously cheap for a 2250 army.

The best part is that the army is fun to play... especially in the lower point games without a mage as your turns go so fast, but people might not like playing against you too many times as I tended to table most opponents (or come very close). Most would give up by the third turn.

I actually bought 7 chariots and have the bits left over to make 2 more Gorebeast chariots, but I would need some riders and it is easier to hit the 2000 point mark have the extra regular chariot.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

Xaric
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Xaric » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:58 pm

you can now make a chaos legion army from beastmen daemons and warrior of chaos thanks to the end times glottkin book