Descent into Lustria - A Lizardmen blog

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Mechronz
MiniWarGaming Regular

Descent into Lustria - A Lizardmen blog

Post by Mechronz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:45 am

Welcome to the jungle

After much dilly dally, discussion with club members and general procrastination I have finally started down the long and complex road of warhammer fantasy. If the title hasn't given it away my choice of army is of course Lizardmen. I bought the army book several months ago and played a couple of low point games to get a feel for the army and how it functions. After having my arse handed to me a few times I took to the internet for inspiration of both army lists and colour schemes, I have thrown caution to the wind and decided that despite cannon's being all in up in my grill dinosaurs are just plain awesome and I'll be taking this route.

I'll soon be taking part in a fantasy escalation league which will start at 500 points and will move up 500 points each month until eventually players will be playing games with 2000 point forces either side. This is perfect since the smaller games will allow me to get more familiar with the rules (especially the ridiculous strength to armour modifiers) as standard size games in my club have a habit to last for maybe 3 hours or more (this doesn't even take into account table set up or deployment).

I attended a war-games show to pick up mini's as the price difference between GW and independent retailers can be quite significant. My skinks were over £4 cheaper then if I bought them in a GW which is why it pays to have a look around at these places first before committing to a purchase. My original intention was to buy pre-built mini's to save time on assembly because a pre-built base coated regiment is usually about the same price as new in box. Unfortunately this was not to be and I only snagged myself a Rune Priest. Now that the boring stuff is over I will get onto my army list

Skink Priest - 65
Skink Cohort x10 - 50
Skink Cohort x10 - 50
Skink Cohort x10 - 50
Skink Cohort x10 - 50
Stegadon - 235
Sharpened Horns

At 500 points my Stegadon is legit! It will be very hard to take down unless they have some kind of artillery as most infantry who aren't Chaos Warriors will have a hell of a time against it. Unless I'm stuck against a zombie or skeleton horde backed up with necromancers or a lich priest of some description I should breeze on through most guys. The skinks will just be running interference and legging it at the first sign of trouble and finally my priest will be cancelling spells here, there and everywhere because I remember during the practice league everybody but myself had a mage and that just wasn't cricket! Thanks for reading and now it's time for me to get building.

Descent into Lustria - my Lizardmen blog

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 1&t=111817

ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Descent into Lustria - A Lizardmen blog

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:48 pm

Good on you for starting out with a theme, it's always a more enjoyable style of play I've found. If you stick with an all-Stink army from now on, make sure to pick up some Kroxigor, Terradons, Salamanders and Razerdons. Heck you could even take Tetto'eko and run him as a Slann, given the similar base/style of model.

Look forward to seeing this blog develop, it'll be nice to have some regular content around here!
I can't think of a witty signature.

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Todda » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:29 am

Don't forget the Bastiledon and maybe some jungle swarms...
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

Mechronz
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Mechronz » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:39 pm

Entry #2 - Some assembly required

I had a daunting task ahead of me and I didn't really know where to begin but I decided on an a assembly line process. Since the Skinks were only in four pieces they were the easiest to put together and after about three hours spread over a few days I managed to put together 48 Skinks and a Skink Priest. One thing that slowed the process was that fantasy uses rank and file so making sure they all fit together was imperative.

Most of my Saturday was taken up by the Stegadon. I was surprised by the size of the base as I thought the mini itself would be much larger as I had never see one fully built. Overall I really love how everything went together and it's gonna be awesome painting the Steg but tedious as all hell painting nearly fifty Skinks. I did have one grievance with the Stegadon and that was the 3 large sections that are connected to the tail. I found these extremely frustrating to place as they kept on slipping out of place and I had to work against rapidly drying glue.

I'll be using the classic blue skin colour scheme out of the white dwarf but i'm still undecided what to do with the Stegadon. There will be plenty paint threads and videos to draw inspiration from although I always have had problems painting flesh be it human or otherwise. I'll probably go for a purple or maybe a pink just to be a bit of a snowflake about the whole thing. Despite the picture the head and stone work is not attached to the mini to allow for ease of painting, in fact the mini itself is not glued to the base so I can paint its stomach. Now I just have to prep for my upcoming game with at least a base coated army (weather permitting of course). Until next time.

nakchak
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by nakchak » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:17 pm

Kinda off topic, but that case/toolbox you have in the first pic looks exactly what im after, where did you get it from? as i need a more effcient way to store my paints and my current tool box is too small

Look forward to seeing your lizardmen painted!
Kill the orcs, Slay the orcs, Destroy the Orcs!

Mechronz
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Mechronz » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:36 am

nakchak wrote:Kinda off topic, but that case/toolbox you have in the first pic looks exactly what im after, where did you get it from? as i need a more effcient way to store my paints and my current tool box is too small

Look forward to seeing your lizardmen painted!
My mother worked for a company that cleaned student housing so anything that the students don't claim back after they left the cleaners could keep if they wanted. By the looks of things its actually a large make up box so I would have no idea where it's from unfortunately.

Todda

Post by Todda » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:44 am

Looks like a makeup case of some sort. I find once you make movement trays and magnetize the bases you can just use a shoebox or two for your armies.... or some of the larger GW boxes, like for Land Raiders or even starter sets (Island of Blood or Dark Vengeance), but some models are tall and fit in a shoebox better.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

Mechronz
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Mechronz » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Last Saturday I decided to pop into GW to order the edge paint I needed since my local model shop no longer had them in stock. On Wednesday I got to pick it up but they said while the shops new stock came in the mail orders hadn't *fair enough it happens every now and again* I was told to keep an eye on the face book page for updates the low and on Thursday afternoon I checked only to find out all of the stores mail orders had been sent to a shop in London. So I may not be able to start a test mini until next week but all models are primed and just waiting on some love from a brush.

nakchak
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by nakchak » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Todda wrote:Looks like a makeup case of some sort. I find once you make movement trays and magnetize the bases you can just use a shoebox or two for your armies.... or some of the larger GW boxes, like for Land Raiders or even starter sets (Island of Blood or Dark Vengeance), but some models are tall and fit in a shoebox better.
For transporting mini's i find you cant beat house insulation foam sheets (its like a really undense styrofoam) and cheap plastic tubs. The sort i get cost about £1.50 for 10 and easily hold 10 mini's, just cut the foam to size, cut out voids for your mini's and your done. I also ifnd it useful to print army lists and stick them to the lids, that way you can pick your army in a modular way i.e. 3 boxes of tactical marines and 2 of death company with points already worked out, war gear listed etc, saves tonne of time

However i was looking at that design of makeup case for storing paints in, not mini's.

@Mechronz i rarely buy paint from GW and always use local model shops as they are often cheaper, i.e. my local one is able to sell anything GW 10% cheaper than RRP, inc brushes and paint, also i apologise for somewhat hijacking your lizardman blog discussing your army case.
Kill the orcs, Slay the orcs, Destroy the Orcs!

Todda

Post by Todda » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:10 pm

Brushes.... I never get anything other than "Series 7 - Fine Sable -Windsor & Newton - England" in size 1. They run about $18, I have to order them from England now as the Kolinsky Sable fur used on them is a restricted fur in the US.

There is also a rumor that GW is changing paints again. Supposedly the current company is having supply and quality issues. The rumor is saying they are also switching to the dropper bottles like Vallejo. I guess after the last ones clumped around the edges and collected inside the lid so it could not close is what pushed the finial design this way.

Mechronz
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Mechronz » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:19 am

Entry #3 - Primed and ready to go

After about two weeks there was finally a break in the weather and I managed to get all of my mini's primed and waiting to be painted. So the first thing I did was grab a Skink as a test subject and work my magic upon this sad sight of grey plastic. Using a white primer as a base it would be easier to paint over as none of the colours I would be using were actually basepaints but GW layer paint which can tend to be quite watered down (anybody who has used genestealer purple of white will know what I mean). While the colours I used will be In the pictures I'll list them in case people can't make them out.

Skin - Sotek Green
Fin - Kabalite Green
Spear and weapon - Chaos Black
Metals - Boltgun Metal (spear tip) Warplock Bronze (bracelets and other trims)

For my first layer on the skin I applied Temple Gaurd Blue mixed 50/50 with water to all the most raised areas and places that would catch the Light best. After applying two layers I added a Coelia Greenshade wash to all of the flesh and allowed it to pool into all of the recesses. I then applied the first highlight of Temple Gaurd Blue over the raised areas of the face, legs, arms and across the tail. For the the final highlight I used the edge paint Baharroth Blue across the most raised areas in quite a random fashion as shown in the guide.

I then added the final layers to the rest of the mini. For the metal I used Mythril Silver on the edges of the spear and other metal areas I used Auric Armour Gold. For claws and the teeth on the hand weapon I used Screaming Skull, the eyes were done with Flash Gitz Yellow and I added Moot Green to the rear half of the Fin. Finally the scales were painted using a 50/50 mix of Kantor Blue and Lahmian Medium, this gave the Kantor Blue a wash like consistency and required two layers for the Desired effect. I haven't decided how i will base them but i'm sure an idea will pop into my head soon enough.

Yeah this was a little pic heavy but now I have another 47 of this little buggers to finish and next I'll move onto the Stegadon which should be a lot easier since the raised areas are easier to make out and much more detailed.

Middle
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Middle » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:01 pm

Love the classic colour scheme.
I've decided to get the same stuff that you got. 1 question: in 500pts, is it unecessary to take musician champion and flag bearer?
Tyranids: On Hold....
Chaos Space Marine: 1500pts
Khador: 55pts

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:27 pm

Middle wrote:Love the classic colour scheme.
I've decided to get the same stuff that you got. 1 question: in 500pts, is it unecessary to take musician champion and flag bearer?
Musician is always necessary for rapid reform, though the others become more useful as points increase. You'll need banners to help with Combat Resolution, and Champions will help accept challenges you may not want other characters in that unit accepting.

Nice paint scheme, Keep Going!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Middle
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Middle » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:51 pm

Alrighty thanks dude =)
Tyranids: On Hold....
Chaos Space Marine: 1500pts
Khador: 55pts

Mechronz
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Mechronz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:15 pm

It's been a while since my last update and I have gotten a lot don't . . . in terms of 40K. This is because I have been painting models for a kill team tournament at a near by GW. I fully intend to keep the blog going and will have a new update in two weeks time. Fantasy wise I haven't gotten much done but this is going to change since I used the event as an excuse to get my small batch of Orks finished and I even failed at that. I haven't bought anymore Lizardmen since my intentions are to finish this batch and move onto the next one (money allowing of course). Update to follow.