Thinking about WHFB but not sure on a army...

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
blahman212
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Thinking about WHFB but not sure on a army...

Post by blahman212 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:16 am

So, pretty simple as it is summarised in the title, interested in playing (I play 40,000 also, but strongly dislike the new rules and fancy a change) but am unsure on what army to collect! Here has been my thoughts so far:

-I play Orks in 40,000, so Orcs & Goblins is a consideration
-I am a avid fondess for undead related... things. Mainly Zombies. So Vampire Counts seems like a good consideration
-Following the undeadness, Tomb Kings? Skeletons are pretty sweet.
-The other two I was considering are Dwarves as they look plain awesome and Wood Elves as I play Mirkwood in LOTR:SBG.
-I also like silly/humorous armies (the reason I started Orks in 40,000), but that isn't a necessity, just a perk.

What are you thoughts? Could anybody do a quick rundown of any of these armies as to what they are like? Also any reasons I should be playing Warhammer instead of Warhammer 40,000?

Thanks for your time and help!
“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Muttonstashe
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Thinking about WHFB but not sure on a army...

Post by Muttonstashe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:45 am

I play Dwarfs, and they pretty much boil down to: Sit at one side of the table. Shoot at your opponent. Intercept units that get too close with warriors. Think of them kind of like Fantasy's version of Tau. Also, they have no magic or cavalry, so they're slow and simple.
Dwarfs: 2000 Points, 1/2 painted
Dark Angels: 1650 Points, Primed
Cygnar: 15 Points, Everything painted except caster

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:06 am

You obviously want to collect the legions of undeath under Nagash. They combine most of tomb king and vampire counts, and use Nagash as their general, which can be fielded in 2000 points already these days. Plus nagash gives you a good head start on making a 2400 point army(which seems popular these days).

If you play 40k Orkz, Skaven are a similar army concept with a lot of randomness and unstableness, but they are also rats, not orkz or orcs.

O&G(OG?) are an unreliable army, with about 2-3 units in their massive and varied army book which do not self sabotage. That said, they have more options than most books and can be fun, but they are one of the hardest races to play competitively as some games your army will just be hurling dung at itself and not really following your weird concepts of 'strategy' or 'tactics' as infighting and hurling insults at their mates take priority.

I suggest you take a look at some of MrMalorians youtube batreps with O&G and see what animosity can do to a perfectly good battle plan. Needless to say it lacks the 'fun factor' of 40k orkz and is usually just plain frustrating instead of funny.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

TauDroneController
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by TauDroneController » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:32 am

Either you play Nagash and try to transform the world into an undead realm
Or you play Orcs and Goblins and scream Waagh across the table
Or you play Skaven and blow yourself up at least once per game
Or you play Dwarfs as earlier said is fantasy Tau
Or Elves if you like to walk in forests and shoot anchanted arrows

Xaric
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Xaric » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:15 pm

The difference of the most basic levels when it comes to both games

Basic difference Building a army
40k = go nuts up to your points cap and loose formations
Fantasy = Everything is done by % and tight formations for most units

Basic set up for a game
40k = roll off and then set up
Fantasy = roll off then take turns deploying each unit

Phases in both games
40k = movement > psyker > shooting > assault
fantasy = charge > movement > magic > shooting > assault

Magic vs psyker
in 40k you can have the same power for each person
in fantasy you can olny ever use that one spell per phase so if you gave every model the same spell it would be wasted if you use it already

so that's what your in for when swaping games now as for armys

I would recommend picking up a end times army rather then a stand alone army because as it gos at the moment with end times each book gives extensive rules to taking army models from other books heres a rundown so far

Nagash = vampire counts and tomb kings plus nagash himself being a beast his special rule is he can summon 3x the points of undead models and 3x the range over everyone else who gets his standard abilty.

Glottkin = Warriors of chaos, Daemons of chaos and beastmen plus glottkin his special rule is he is the first model to pass the 10 statpoint limit and until it is faq he can gain unlimited wounds due to the way the description of the rule.

Khaine = Elves not sure as I really hate elves so I cant really give details on them

hope this helps

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:59 pm

Or you play Skaven and blow yourself up at least once per game

^^

This ^_^

Honestly this is why I started Skaven (ok, well I also love rats!) and the potential for the hilarious slaying of your own army? Sweet!

Haven't played any others so I can't offer an opinion on them =/
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Hedonismbot » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:46 pm

blahman212 wrote:So, pretty simple as it is summarised in the title, interested in playing (I play 40,000 also, but strongly dislike the new rules and fancy a change) but am unsure on what army to collect! Here has been my thoughts so far:

-I play Orks in 40,000, so Orcs & Goblins is a consideration
The greenies are fun and are always good for a laugh. They can be frustrating though as sometimes your guys just sit there and do nothing for a turn or 2 when you needed them to charge or move somewhere. This could just be my awful luck with them at least. Overall, quite a varied army with plenty of ways to run them, much like space orks. You want a cult of speed styled list, grab some guys on wolves and boars, like shooting, get tons of war machines and dudes with bows. Like an elite themed army with lots of nobs, grab some black orcs and big uns, etc.

-I am a avid fondess for undead related... things. Mainly Zombies. So Vampire Counts seems like a good consideration
-Following the undeadness, Tomb Kings? Skeletons are pretty sweet.
Since you're looking at both types of undead, why not take both at once as undead legions. Many of your generic troops are crap but you never run away and everyone causes fear, so they can make the best tarpit units in the game bar none, as you can revive guys a unit with your magic. Along with all sorts of cool special units, like a giant flying bat monster that screams you to death and the ark of the covenant from the first Indiana jones movie, there's some really powerful characters.

Vampires make for arguably the strongest generic characters in the whole game when fully kitted out, as they can be made into incredible hand to hand fighters and powerful wizards all at once. Very few things in the game ever want to fight a unit containing a vampire lord and should they get into combat, it get's messy.

There's also your necromancers, liches, mummy's and all other sorts of other undead characters along with a much larger, meaner and competent version of skeletor called Nagash.

-The other two I was considering are Dwarves as they look plain awesome and Wood Elves as I play Mirkwood in LOTR:SBG.
-I also like silly/humorous armies (the reason I started Orks in 40,000), but that isn't a necessity, just a perk.
Dwarves are really slow in both moving and combat, but are quite strong and durable. They can pack a ton of firepower of all types and tend to sit back and shoot someone for most of the game while waiting for whatever survives to come close enough for their combat blocks to charge them. They have next to no magic and no monsters at all and their play style is very predictable with little room for variation. I would love to get a dwarf army myself but it seems so damn boring to play with.

Wood elves I would say play much like the tau with a bit of Dark Eldar thrown in the mix. They're probably the best shooting army in the game and are quite maneuverable and very fast. Unlike Tau, they're are far from helpless in close combat with units like wildriders, treemen, forest dragons and a couple others, that can pack quite a punch in melee. Tend to have very little or no armour, so you can't simply throw them into a fight and expect them to win.

What are you thoughts? Could anybody do a quick rundown of any of these armies as to what they are like? Also any reasons I should be playing Warhammer instead of Warhammer 40,000?
Fantasy has way better rules design and internal balance. While there will be tough match ups, it's no where near as rock paper scissors as 40k has become and every army has a good chance beating anyone else provided you know what you're doing. If you want more of a tactical challenge at a competitive level, then is the perfect match, though you can still mess around and play for fun. Gw is also advancing the plotline too.
Thanks for your time and help!
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:33 am

Funny I think Skaven are a good pick for you too.

I love playing WFB, I think Hedonismbot nailed it as to why.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!