Skaven Army: Take 3!

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Skaven Army: Take 3!

Post by Dez » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:42 pm

Hello!

This is my third attempt at a Skaven army. I've wound up selling them in the past, because sometimes you need money more than you need a second Fantasy army...especially when you never play Fantasy anymore. Well confound it, I couldn't stay away from these vile rats so I'm back!

Nappen and I are going to be doing a Skaven Paint-A-Thon in April, but I thought I'd post some progress and thoughts here. Last time, my army was really shooty. I think this time, I'm going to go for more...tricks. What those tricks are right now, I can't say as I've only got half formed ideas.

I'm going for my own Clan, but with Eshin roots. One of the fun stories I've read was about a huge fleet of Skaven that set sail for the new world and most never got there. Think 'The Drowned Rat'.

Ok here are some pics of all the Skaven I have taken the mold lines off of in the past couple of days. It's the contents of 3 Isle of Blood sets...that's alotta rats! I have another 2 IoB sets coming in tomorrow.

There are 120+ Clan Rats here, sir. 120!
3 Warlock Engineers
3 Chieftains (Or Warlords or whatever you like)
6 Rat Ogres
3 Handlers
5 Weapon Teams

PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

jbrown1214
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Skaven Army: Take 3!

Post by jbrown1214 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:19 am

Best of luck to you! I've started/stopped quite a few armies, so good on you for giving it another go!

Regarding rat ogres: I've heard they're pretty bad...are you painting 'em because you have the models, or are they better than I've been told?

Jason
New! I have a YouTube channel!

Warriors of Chaos: 4,500-ish points (95% painted)
Chaos Dwarves: 3,000-ish points (85% painted)
Bretonnia: 3,000-ish points (25% painted)
Imperial Fists: 1,500-ish points (40% painted)

Updated 1/7/2014! - WIP here

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:43 am

At some point I will post a pic of what I have, but right now it is the contents of three IoB sets too. Then some storm vermin etc.

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:33 am

I received 2 more IoB sets in the mail, so I'm excited to take the mold lines off. There was also a Doomwheel, and I nearly squeeked with joy.

I also went through my boxes, and found 21 Stormvermin. Hooray because I love them! I've also nearly completed a trade for 20 more.

I still want to get a bell, which I may have the above Stormvermin pushin' around. I'm still not sure I'll be using a bell, but I love the model. Plus it will give me another Plague Censor so I can build that second Maulergiant!

Dez

Post by Dez » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:55 am

Here is a pic of some of what I'm working on

I played my first game last Tuesday, a very back and forth game vs Vampire Counts at 1500 points. At the end, he didn't have much left on the table and most of my army was beat up. I think I had a unit of Slaves and my Bunker with Grey Seer and BSB.

Here is my list:

Grey Seer
-Earthing Rod

Chieftan
-BSB
-Armor of Destiny
-Halberd
-Shield

Warlock Engineer
-Warp Energy Condenser
-Level 2

Slaves x20
-Musician

Slaves x20
-Musician

Slaves x20
-Musician

Clan Rats x20
-Musician
-Poison Wind Mortar

Stormvermin x40
-Full command
-Banner of Flame
-Poisoned Wind Mortar

Gutter Runners x6
-Poison
-Slings

Doomwheel

Warp Lightning Cannon

Put the GS and BSB in the Clan Rat bunker, which stays far enough away to use the PWM and cast fancy spells.

I think adding command to the Bunker will be a good idea. Shields for stuff as well.

Dez

Post by Dez » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Just picked him up the other day ;)

Most likely the Rat Ogres will go to conversions.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:05 pm

You know slaves don't have to be rats per sé. Impressive number of the little things though!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Dez

Post by Dez » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:16 pm

I've got Dwarfs and Goblins mixed into the ranks ;)

Dez

Post by Dez » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:25 pm

Oh I have grotesque plans for them, Muhuhaha!