'Tis quiet...to quiet

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Wulfrun
MiniWarGaming Zealot

'Tis quiet...to quiet

Post by Wulfrun » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:40 am

I know I've been gone a little over a year but when did this place become such a graveyard?
I know we were never as hustle and bustle as the 40k but we used to have daily posts or at least a fair few people commenting on posts for help and assistance.
Did some new site pop up and drag everyone away or what?
On a lighter note anyone get in some games this week?
I played 2v2 myself as orcs and my ally as vc's against high elves and a 50/50 wood elves dwarf list.
It was fun but a bit one sided. 2500 pts each. We lost but not to badly. It was more the fact of a dwarven gunline ripping apart the terrorgheist and vargheists before they could get into the fight, my black orcs with grimgor ripped through the dwarves infantry and the dryads although grimgor got hit by the high elf Mage and lost his magic weapon. The dragon princes with the world dragon banner hit the ghouls and killed the lot, repeaters killed the vamp lord although he took one of them with him. A flank charge to my blorcs from the dragon princes made them mince near and then my mate in a hissy for threw in the towel. It was a fun match though :)

I will try and make more notes and possibly photos with the next one.
"...You my friend are an unnapropriate." - Commodore Awesome
"this is why I love you Wulfrun <3" -Sniperfex

ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: 'Tis quiet...to quiet

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:11 am

Well I've got a tournament coming up so I'm building Vampires like no tomorrow. I also helped a friend try out his tournament Chaos list with my Ogres. I wiped them out and only lost two Ogres... he may need to work on his list.

I like to imagine this forum as a kind of OAP's club, where we just sit in armchairs staring into space for a bit, then someone says something, we all murmur agreements and then we go back to staring.
I can't think of a witty signature.

MWG-Owen
Gold Vault Member

Post by MWG-Owen » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:19 am

I sent wave after wave of marauders into hungry lizardmen.

They ate well.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:53 am

I had a tournament a while back, sadly I was on the reserve list and didn't get to play. Might get a game in this afternoon if I'm lucky, but its more likely that it will be 40k as fantasy has been a bit dead lately around here.

I've been debating on ressurecting my Empire WIP or merging it with my 40k one in that section. I'm expecting a sizeable shipment(2 battalion and 2 boxes of chikinz) of Empire stuff, later this week or early next week.

Todda has been keeping the place alive with the painting goal thread, I don't always post there as it feels like a bit too much to post in both my WIP and the painting goal thread, so I tend to just update my 'to do' list there.

I've also not been posting too much here as most new players just ask about skaven and Zero, Todda, Paranoid and several others are infinately more knowledgable on that subject than me. So I tend to leave those topics for them to notice.

How's about a full Dark Elf tactica write up from our very own MWG-Owen then? Maybe some vids covering the warlocks and kharywhatsits?

Mostly I think fantasy needs a new edition to get the discussion going again, everything that needs to be said, has been said. Everyone knows what to bring, even most of the extreme and 'crazy' army styles have been tested already, big hordes, MMU, MSU, Monsterpochalypse, flying circus lists everything under the sun. The fact that the fantasy players on here are so agreeable might also have an impact on the lack of discussion. Every new topic one person gives advice, the 2nd reinforces it and any others are like, 'Totally', 'Word' and 'THIS MAN SPEAKS THE TRUTH!'.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

sonofkitrinos
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by sonofkitrinos » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:43 am

The store closed. People left.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHghowell?feature=mhee
Commissions : http://www.hghowel8.wix.com/amethysthobbies
Interested in commission work? Fire me a pm!

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:15 am

Well to be fair, most of the people on the fantasy forum have been from other places than welland and neighbouring places, like yurp and australia, with some north 'murica, which shouldn't affect the fantasy forum that much.

That being said I do miss having cam around here, he really did love his fantasy, even doing batreps with Owen on our request and stuff.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Wulfrun
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Wulfrun » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:21 am

Yeah I understand that, there are rumours of 9th ed coming out early next year along with the new dwarfs apparently.

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:09 am

The people on here seem to hate dwarfs, me and Stanfar and before that Cam were the only ones with a soft spot for the stunties :(

I'm hoping that GW does good by them, more stuff like the Strollaz rune and miners, some sweet new plastic kits for the entire line and maybe something like monstrous infantry(Golems have been in the rumour mill, but I'm still afraid its just wishlisting) to break the monotony a bit.

No limit on rangers would be awesome too, maybe if you take Bugman.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:05 am

That's the only quibble with my gaming group: They don't play Fantasy. I haven't played in what seems like forever, and my WoC and Skaven are languishing on the shelf. There is finally a tournament around here, and I was getting all ramped up to play...and I happen to have tickets to Slayer the same day. lol@me.

Perhaps I can talk my group into it once 9th Ed hits. I recently recruited a friend of mine who does play Fantasy ;)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:12 am

Ya it is dead for Fantasy in my area right now. When the flood hit it destroyed our campaign map and a couple armies that were stired at the club, along with all the tables so we're waiting on the store to re-open and everyone to get their armies back up to play really. When I go to the city no one has fantasy with them but I might start on a second army soon, don't know what though...
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

exodusofman
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by exodusofman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:35 am

There is a league going on in my area with about 5 players myself included. Ive got a few goos games in with my Skaven, but I might put them on the back burner while I do High Elves. There was a tournament here that a couple of my friends ran. I did ok for the most part tho it is really dead in my area. Doesn't help my main play group lives 2 hours away and they're on a 40k kick right now.
I fall into a dark hole
And I can't come out
Do you know if Merlin did exist
Or Frodo wore the ring
Did Corum kill the gods
Or where's the wonderland
Which young Alice had seen
Or was it just a dream
I knew the answers
Now they're lost for me

Wulfrun
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Wulfrun » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:43 pm

See I guess we're the opposite down here in oz lol. Games Workshop kinda pushes the idea of 40k on us and a lot of people play it, but most people hate the current edition and the issue with not every army having access to flyers or AA weaponry at the moment so fantasy is on an all time high. :)

seriouscirrus
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by seriouscirrus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:33 pm

In my country (Belgium) 40k is popular as well. Fantasy is almost never played, although they sell it though. I persuaded a friend of mine to start a skaven army and I have exclusively only fantasy armies, like a high elf and a Dwarven army (I started with dwarves).

Lezleyboom
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Lezleyboom » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Wulfrun wrote:See I guess we're the opposite down here in oz lol. Games Workshop kinda pushes the idea of 40k on us and a lot of people play it, but most people hate the current edition and the issue with not every army having access to flyers or AA weaponry at the moment so fantasy is on an all time high. :)
Yeah, Fantasy does seem to have a bit more of a presence here in Australia. I certainly encounter many more WFB player than W40k.

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:52 pm

I am just starting fantasy...building a big rat army and lizards for my daughter, desert necrons...I mean Tomb Kings for my son.