Mono Daemons Viable?

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Devedor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Mono Daemons Viable?

Post by Devedor » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:06 pm

So I was thinking of starting Chaos Daemons, and I was wondering how viable running mono god for each god would be. From what I'm seeing Mono Khorne is very viable, Nurgle not as much, Slannesh, then Tzeentch in that order, but I'm wondering what opinions you guys and galls at MWG have. I intend to do a 2500 pt army for each god, then get some of the generic daemon stuff for a 10,000+ pt army. As of now I have about half of my nurgle stuff, and It shouldn't take long to get that with Christmas around the corner, so my endgoal for 2013 is to have about a quarter of my points done. I plan to go with a mix once I get a decent amount of each, probably going one god at a time so I don't get board of painting each gods troops.

So what do you guys think? Mono god viable?
Never knows best

My Plog! http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 30&t=74994

Epic Duck Mike: Tausept Ochre and Iyanden Darksun are like cheatcodes for Yellow.
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start Select Tausept Ochre

Raoh
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Mono Daemons Viable?

Post by Raoh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Nurgle is very viable as mono. Plaguebearers, beasts, and drones are incredible (especially beasts), Huge Blocks of Plaguebearers are very tough, even more so with a Herald buffing them.

Devedor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Devedor » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Ok, so Mono nurgle is definitely a good bet, but what about the other gods?
Never knows best

My Plog! http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 30&t=74994

Epic Duck Mike: Tausept Ochre and Iyanden Darksun are like cheatcodes for Yellow.
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start Select Tausept Ochre

Wulfrun
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Wulfrun » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:17 pm

Khorne has no magic protection whatsoever and no way of dishing out non magical attacks except for the jugger attacks on cavalry. Prepared to be screwed over by banner of the world dragon or what not in that regard and a couple of other units. With nothing going for you in the shooting (except skull cannons which are amazing!) or magic phase prepare to be bombarded until combat phase.

Slaanesh from what I can gather works well in small point lists on its own (1500pt and under)
On its own seeing it's troops are quite elite compared to what you will be up against at those levels. With a good magic lore and access to shadow, fast cav units to support your block and chaff hunters found in fiends it can run ok. Still lacks anything in the shooting phase but can get into combat a lot faster than anything else.

Nurgle seems to be working very well mono but only by bringing the tally with Epidemus. Chuck him in a large unit of plague bearers and march forward. This is the only list were a soul grinder is almost viable for quick kills to bring up the tally fast and start making your units really ridiculously good. GUO is the second best greater daemon in my opinion. Hold him behind your units and spring him on any flankers and then charge him wherever you need him while casting all the fun Nurgle spells. Use beasts/ plague drones for chaff and war machines. So far this is being the most successful mono list this ed.

Tzeentch are working as a glass hammer for most of their units, probably the 2nd hardest to make work (under the nigh impossible khorne list). Make sure to bring one or two large blocks of horrors for the level spell you desire placing a herald in each with MoS isn't a bad idea either or placing them on discs to whizz around the field buffing your troops or dishing out hell on the enemy (which you will get little time to so while the rest lives). Your blocks of horrors will be relying on buffs and resurrection to keep together so look after them, banner of sorcery goes well here too. Screamers are your chaff hunters or furies become viable. Flamers should be taken in small groups to assist with shooting down unwanted enemy forces and should avoid combat till late game where they don't do too badly. LoC is amazing fully kitted out and Kairos more so, you really need him for the extra survivability of your troops and to control the magic phase. If everything hits right then it'll work, but it'll be tough.

So all in all from easiest (still challenging!) to nigh impossible (hardcore mode):
- Nurgle
- Slaanesh
- tzeentch
- khorne
"...You my friend are an unnapropriate." - Commodore Awesome
"this is why I love you Wulfrun <3" -Sniperfex