Drow Wood Elves

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
Concreteus
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Drow Wood Elves

Post by Concreteus » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi,

So I'm considering doing a drow themed wood elves army and have painted up a sample picture to get a general consensus before I paint up a whole batch.

So what are your thought?

MalakaiCZ
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Drow Wood Elves

Post by MalakaiCZ » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:19 pm

fan of Drizzt right ? ;) nice idea and actually nice paint on cloak but face needs some shading and highlight to make it pop...now it´s flat and don´t do eyes just like "red dot" but otherwise I hands down for your idea. Keep it coming !
11.000pts of CHSM (Black Legion with Night Lords, Death Guard and Iron Warriors allies) - fullpaint
750-1000pts of FW Sons of Horus - 65% painted

Until there is one follower of the Corpse God in a galaxy...there can be no peace..

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Thank you very much for the response, I was beginning to think that no one was going to comment.

The skin tone does indeed need some highlights and I intend on doing them and more. If I can manage it I'm going to attempt to put a little free hand spider emblem on the cloak to really make it stand out. I'm considering it in a dull metal.

But thanks you increased by motivating to keep going.

MalakaiCZ
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by MalakaiCZ » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:43 am

no problem, I love wood elves and used to play them for couple of years... imho you should also consider bases. If you are fluffy player (and I suppose you are, since you do WE) and you go for more Asrai army with less-to-none forest spirits, I would suggest to do winter bases. It will be nice combo with those cold colours on models and in winter Asrai protects wood spirits when they sleep. On the other hand if you want to enjoy walking trees mid-green of summer or even browns and yellows of autumn will contrast very nicely. Basicaly I would avoid spring set of colour but it´s just my opinion, do what you see the best of course ! :)
Good luck with army, can´t wait to see some Highborn !
11.000pts of CHSM (Black Legion with Night Lords, Death Guard and Iron Warriors allies) - fullpaint

Until there is one follower of the Corpse God in a galaxy...there can be no peace..

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:58 am

Well I took the sample into the store today and the response wash't fantastic which annoys the hell out of me. So I'm considering changing the grey cloth to a darker cloth to really put that Drow feeling in there.

As for the basing I'm considering doing like a rocky theme based and putting the army on a display board like they're marching out of a cave (dungeon).

I want that real drow feeling for the army so evil as all hell, not that great in a fight but excellent rangers and spell casters (this could be a little problem but you work with what you have).

As for the nobles I'm really thinking hard about how to make them look great as Hawks and unicorns just ain't going to work for the theme. A Giant Bat maybe or a converted ripperdactlye, I'm open to suggestions for this one.

For the glade riders I'm considering putting them on wolves like space wolves, goblin riders wolves or maybe the ones from the hobbit although I'm unsure about the size of those ones. The horses might work if I do them up dark as well.

Unsure if I want to add dryads in yet but if I do I'm going to give them that super evil paint job. So greyish with an evil green light coming up from the base. A little like the belly skin on the new Dark Elves kit GW are releasing.

MalakaiCZ
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by MalakaiCZ » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:14 pm

don´t get discouraged... Warhammer has long learning curve and especially painting and modelling. So ultra-mega evil army... if you want to be a true followers of spider queen Lolth, you should get yourself some goblin spider riders. Sell gobbos, take spider and re-do it and attach WE torso.. and remember, females only ;) such a unit can serve as wild-riders /glade riders. Don´t forget to do only females in more important roles in army, it´s seems like a small thing, but trust me..all little details form overall feel.
I dunno about warhawkes honestly...
In general I would mix up spider bits, DE and WE to make nice and evil army...

Shas-Woody
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Shas-Woody » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Hmm drow wood elves... I bet your options will really open up when some of Mirkwood elf models come out alongside the next hobbit movie. I haven't laid hands on ant LOTR models but the elves do look pretty good and IMHO have better poses than the 2000 era fantasy plastics. Great Paint job. A whole army will look fantastic.

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Todda » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:52 pm

LOTR/Hobbit are true 28mm and will look tiny compared to the "Heroic Scale" 28mm they use for Warhammer stuff.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:24 am

Todda wrote:LOTR/Hobbit are true 28mm and will look tiny compared to the "Heroic Scale" 28mm they use for Warhammer stuff.
Thanks Todda I was actually wondering about that today. It's a shame because some of those are pretty nice looking.

Captain-Shawn
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Captain-Shawn » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:59 am

It truely is, even more so when you factor in the rarity anyone plays LOTR (which makes me sad, I'd collect a Rohan army but no one here plays it)

I'm digging the theme though! Only thing I would say in addition is to consider making the hood the purple color you used on the cloak, the light blue seems a tad too bright for a Drow : P
"Why did the Necromancer kill everyone in the tavern? He wanted to raise the bar!"

Raymeous
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Raymeous » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:38 pm

I'm surprised you didn't opt for Dark Elves instead of Wood Elves to do up your Drow themed army. They have poisons after all. Now that I think about it, the Wood Elf tendency for hooded cloaks and lighter armor does make sense for Drow.

Cool idea!!!
With a bit of work, and a bunch of green stuff you could probably do up some Driders (shooty fast cav) using the spiders from the Goblin spider riders. Nothing says Drow quite like big spider centaurs.

As for spider themed cloak designs, for your rank and file I'd go with flat colors (they're supposed to be kinda sneaky after all) and save the metallics embroidery for the character models. No self respecting Priestess of Lolth would be found wearing rags of the lower class.

Cool theme idea and I can't wait to see how it turns out. :D