question about the "Extra Ranks" in combat resolution

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
azzerath
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

question about the "Extra Ranks" in combat resolution

Postby azzerath » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:42 pm

We have been playing it as if you have more ranks of 5 or more models then you get a +1 to combat resolution up to a max of +3.

However in reading it again, it mentions behind the "fighting rank"

So, simple example.

Let say I have 20 VC skeletons, 4 ranks of 5. I'm fighting a monster of some kind (no ranks).

We both somehow manage to do no wounds. Lets say they charged.

Combat resolution. The monster gets 1 for charging. The Skeletons would get how many for the Extra Ranks rule?

The way our groups has been playing it would be +3 (for the 4 more full ranks, capped at +3). But in reading this, would it be +2 instead as the first 2 ranks were fighting?

Thanks for your help!

Azeebo
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: question about the "Extra Ranks" in combat resolution

Postby Azeebo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:04 pm

You never get the front rank as a rank bonus, what it is saying is that every rank after the first grants a +1 rank bonus to a cap of 3.

Fighting rank pretty much means the front rank.
HammerOfTheEmperor - Common users must take Azeebo in small doses, lest they get overwhelmed by his awesomeness

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: question about the "Extra Ranks" in combat resolution

Postby Todda » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:30 pm

Azzebo has it right. The only thing you ever count the front rank for is Steadfast, so if a unit has 5 models they count as 1 ranks, where a monster fighting them (or a skirmish or fast cavalry unit) counts as 0 ranks. Those 5 models would be Steadfast.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy”